Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a BMW 2002tii with Alpina parts worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is a BMW 2002tii with Alpina parts worth?

I know where there is a BMW 2002tii in a garage with Alpina parts on it. Note that it is also a round tail light model so I know it is 1973 or older. I never got a close look at the car as it was mostly covered. I did see the Alpina badge on the trunk.

I talked to the owner about 10 years ago after walking by his house and seeing the round tails sticking out from under a pile of junk stacked on top of the car.
    What I found out from a brief chat:
    1) He bought it off the possible original owner in 1984, IIRC.
    2) Car was driven around the block about 5-10 times over the span of 5 years. I am guessing the car has sat in the garage for at least 15-20 years without moving.
    3) Owner thinks that it may be a European import. He mentioned that the lights were different.
    4) 3 different sets of wheels. I am assuming Alpina, Mahle and steel wheels.

Obviously this thing needs a complete overhaul/rebuild.
    I have no idea about the rust status.
    No idea about the condition of the interior.
    No idea about what Alpina parts were added.

My thinking goes like this: Show up with a flat bed trailer and $5000 cash and see if he takes it.
    (He mentioned 10 years ago that if someone offered him $4000 then he would probably let it go.)

If it was worth restoring, would it be worth more than the purchase price plus the replacement parts? (Not including time - this would be a collaborative ownership affair with multiple skilled people)

If the body is beyond saving, what are my options?
    Part it out: Would I get my money back plus more?

Do it real alpina stuff for 2002s sell for a massive amount of money
    88 325is Five Speed
    Lachssilber

Comment

Have you thought about going and talking to the owner again before showing up at his house with a truck and throwing money at him?
      sigpic

Buy and sell your E30s and E30 parts on E30 Marketplace!

Comment

Originally posted by defaultName View Post
        Have you thought about going and talking to the owner again before showing up at his house with a truck and throwing money at him?
        Yup^

Or he might just sell you his rusted out POS for 5k and laugh all the way to the bank.
        ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
        ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
        ~ '87 535
        ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
        ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Originally posted by defaultName View Post
          LOL, yes. I left out a step or two :)
          The gist of it is that I don't want to give him too much time in between going to see the car and then showing up again with a trailer and cash.
          I very much doubt that he knows what condition it is in as it is fairly well covered up with stuff. It would take a bit of doing just to look at the car.

Comment

If someone came to my house with a truck and trailer trying to take my car off my hands, I would want to shoot them.

Just ask him.

Comment

Beautiful find, I miss my 1972 2002tii I had, I sadly had to part it out due to servere
              no-repairable rust on the faq2002 bmw forum, and did about $5k plus sold almost every part.
              Bmw 2002tii's were made 3 years 1972 to 1974. From what I read, it has to be either a 1972 or 1973 model since you mention round taillights, 1974 was the only year for the tii's for square taillights. Anything true Alpina is worth alot of money, even if you bought it for $4k that is a good price over all but exspect a possible restoration project with price to match as you said. But the parts might be worth more in the end. If it has almost new smoothie ltalian turnsignals those are $700 to $1000usd if you can even find them. The headlights might be cubie or hella euro h series possibly? If it has euro bumpers those I seen and sold for $500 and up to almost $1k based on condition and complete.
              What I would do is go over talk to him again, bring a camera, and say you want to take pictures to show your wife, not letting him know you are taking pictures for us to help guide you, then post pictures so we can see what alpina parts the car has on it. My guess if it has alpina rims they have to be 13 or 14inch. As 15in the fenders would had to be rolled to a sizeable amount. As that is what I had to do with mine before the part out. Well if you get the car, let me know as I still have some parts left including some recaro with complete bolt in hardware for the 2002's picture taken in 2002 http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/...psf12e5c72.jpg taken 10 years later 2012 (click the link for the surprise!) lol
              Last edited by bmwextremeguy; 06-11-2013, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vtec?lol View Post
                If someone came to my house with a truck and trailer trying to take my car off my hands, I would want to shoot them.

Just ask him.
                Sheesh... good thing I live in Canada :D
                Of course I plan on talking to him first... I meant showing up with a trailer immediately AFTER he agrees to sell it.

I just don't want to give him too much time to start asking around, and then telling me he'll sell it for the highest value he comes across.

the point of this post is to gauge what a fair price to offer would be. Since I don't know what Alpina parts are on it other than possibly wheels, I would have to assume it is an extremely neglected tii with moderate amounts of rust.

Comment

If this car has been sitting outside, in Ontario, I will be surprised if there is any metal left on the car.
                  Originally posted by codyep3
                  I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                  2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                  1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                  1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                  2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                  2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                  2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                  2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                  2010 F650gs twin
                  2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Really the only Alpina 2002 stuff worth cubic dollars is induction. A complete Alpina engine would also be worth a pretty good amount.

Pics would help in determining value.
                    Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                    The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
                      If this car has been sitting outside, in Ontario, I will be surprised if there is any metal left on the car.
                      Nope - inside a garage since approximately 1984.

Comment

If your serious about it, I would prepare yourself for rust rehabilitation. Only 2002's that don't have rust are the ones that have beer restored in the last couple of years. And I'm sure those ones are eating themselves as we speak.

Comment

Talk to him. see what he wants. Take a few pictures, then gamble. Or not.

but it's totally a gamble.

t
                          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

My plan is to write him a letter and drop it in his mail box. If he wants to talk then great... his choice.
                            I just keep thinking about this very cool car going to waste in someone's garage. The best thing to happen would be for him to start in on it with his own money and get it done up. Or sell it to somebody. Anything other than having it sit there for another 10 years.
                            I really don't have the money to restore it, but would be able to scrounge enough to buy it as-is. Then it would be a matter of flipping it or parting out.

Comment

Originally posted by mechdonald View Post
                              My plan is to write him a letter and drop it in his mail box. If he wants to talk then great... his choice.
                              I just keep thinking about this very cool car going to waste in someone's garage. The best thing to happen would be for him to start in on it with his own money and get it done up. Or sell it to somebody. Anything other than having it sit there for another 10 years.
                              I really don't have the money to restore it, but would be able to scrounge enough to buy it as-is. Then it would be a matter of flipping it or parting out.
                              Please don't buy this car just so you can part it out to make money.

What would really be a waste of this car would be if it were parted out and scraped for a few bucks. At least if it sits in this guys garage then it could potentially be restored one day.
                              sigpic

Buy and sell your E30s and E30 parts on E30 Marketplace!

Comment

Working...
                              X