R3V on WRXs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikeb23ft View Post
    I drove the car and it was just terrible on the whole. I'm not sure how the automotive press has fallen so in love with them. The steering and turn-in were imprecise at best. The brake pedal was soft for a few inches and then instantly came on like a switch. It idled at 1600 rpm. The service records indicated that it had overheated due to a burst hose 200 miles ago. The Kartboy shifter was somehow both notchy and imprecise, which is really an achievement. And...

IT WAS SO SLOW.

For a car that is on paper faster than my last 'real' car ( a 1999 540i/6) the thing was an absolute dog. Plus no boost gauge, really? To me, it was an economy car with a little more oomph.

What a letdown. I have been in love with the WRX since it came to America. I always swoon when I see a nice one, but now that I've driven one I'm completely over it.
    Sounds like another lemon. Like I said, it should have decent power and smooth power band or something is wrong with it.

Unfortunately most of them are best to snot by either kids, or adults who though they were buying an AWD Toyota. Having owned brand new ones and properly maintained subarus, they are good cars.
    IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

I drove the car and it was just terrible on the whole. I'm not sure how the automotive press has fallen so in love with them. The steering and turn-in were imprecise at best. The brake pedal was soft for a few inches and then instantly came on like a switch. It idled at 1600 rpm. The service records indicated that it had overheated due to a burst hose 200 miles ago. The Kartboy shifter was somehow both notchy and imprecise, which is really an achievement. And...

IT WAS SO SLOW.

For a car that is on paper faster than my last 'real' car ( a 1999 540i/6) the thing was an absolute dog. Plus no boost gauge, really? To me, it was an economy car with a little more oomph.

What a letdown. I have been in love with the WRX since it came to America. I always swoon when I see a nice one, but now that I've driven one I'm completely over it.
      Don't let that one car turn you off from Imprezas. That car sounds like it has a ton of issues and possibly a blown head gasket. I'd find one that wasn't so beat and see how that feels.

Idling at 1600 is not normal. Mine would idle in the 500-750 range.

Stock Imprezas do not come with a boost gauge, it is a dealer installed option and the dealer option was pricey and looked lame and measures boost in MPa and not psi or even bar! So an aftermarket unit would be the way to go.

Comment

I love them. Have helped various friends with WRX's and STI's from 2001-2007 year models. Engine is a pain to do anything on but you get used to it. They sound great and are fun to drive. Not like E30 fun but fun. And yea stock they can't handle "too" much power but the few I've had a hand in building are beasts on the street.
        DENY IGNORANCE!
        Schwarz 325-totaled
        brilliantrot 318i-daily

Originally posted by mkcman17
        don't think your hamster wheels are fast now. you will still have to give up when trying to pass that V6 odyssey to make your offramp.

Comment

IT WAS SO SLOW.

Welcome to the difference between a subie and a bimmer. I would never own one. I don't care how fast it is or what it looks like. They drive like shit. They sound like shit. They ride like shit. They are junk. They are built cheap and have no soul. They have their purpose, and I've never needed one. Look around at an E46 ZHP or similar for the 10k range. Those cars are a bit maint heavy but rewarding and nice to drive everyday. Just my 2 cents.
          '88 M3.2 S54 Lachssilber/Black
          '07 335i Alpine/Black Sedan
          '12 X5 3.5i Alpine/Black
          iS Splitters For Sale, PM ME!
          sigpic

Comment

mike - i say you return to the roots of your username. like me. see sig. ;)

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
            1983 Peugeot 505 STI
            1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
            2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

wrx=awesome, dirt,snow, jumping it, scandinavian flicks- stupid amount of grip once modified with some springs and sway bar. Super forgiving handling. simple stage 2 setup is quick enough.
              gets the job done reliably.bugeyes have the "glass trans" everything newer was stronger.
              even then its easy to argue that you messed up if you broke the trans.

its simple.. don't dump the clutch on a launch, learn to slip it and dont drive like a retard.
              been stage 2 for 2+ years, rally every winter and drive the snot out of it with zero complaints.

7speedshop.com

Comment

I prefer DSMs, but those are even older than WRXs and beaten to hell.

Its an economy car with some go fast parts, most were driven really hard by young men. Sure you can go fast on the cheap, but you have to find one that was well maintained and not beaten to hell.

If you are into rallyx, or live in snow country they're a great car, but I don't find them as engaging to drive as a BMW or miata. On the track, AWD makes up a lot for lack of driver skill, so you can go pretty fast without learning as much.

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
                  mike - i say you return to the roots of your username. like me. see sig. ;)

Comment

Working...
                  X