Roll cage roll call!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
    1 3/4" is lighter and just as strong as 1 1/2," and in my opinion, when all else is equal aesthetics definitely matter, although it all comes down to opinion. I work on Miata race cars all day long, where 1 1/2" tubing is a must and space is still tight, the e30 is like a Cadillac in comparison. It's all relative I suppose.
    Oh, is it a lower wall thickness then? If so, disregard my earlier comment, it would be better to use higher OD with lower wall.

Comment

Wow this thread filled up nicely!

Thanks for all the input on this stuff! A little background. I was a professional fabricator up until about 2 years ago when I took an office position to move up in the company. I developed and started my companies handrail division and ran that for five years building custom rails. Fabrication is second nature.

The reason between the two tube sizes is this. I no longer have access to my companies shop equipment, and if you have ever had to buy these for personal use you know bender die sets aren't cheap. looking to stick with one or the other.

1-1/2" has to be .120 wall
      1-3/4 has to be .095 wall

For most cages that are specified in SCCA rules these are the required size and thicknesses.

The weight difference in minimal, but the cost difference isn't. Working for a steel supplier I can get it for a great price but the 1-3/4 is still about a $1.00 per ft. more.

I think I'll go with 1-1/2" 4.5"R die to start and them add to my collection. Thanks for all your input guys.
      sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

I used1.75 for my main hoop, and laterals. 1.5 for rear X and down bars. And 1.5 for my door X, but I bent them with my 1.75 die. Dam does are expensive. Good luck and post pics along the way.

Comment

you didn't have to much distortion bending the smaller tube with the bigger die?
          sigpic

Comment

Not noticeable. The bigger the bend the more distortion. I use a JD3 bender.

Comment

That's something to consider! Thanks for the tip man.
              sigpic

Comment

no problem.

Comment

Outline for me what sizes you used for what again?
                  sigpic

Comment

I used 1.75 on everything except door bars, header bar, and harness bar. The main structure is 1.75. I think you can get away with less of the big stuff or most sanctioning bodies.

Comment

Whats the radius on your 1.75 die? I just taked to Pro-Tools and the smallest they have is a 6" radius. They said anything smaller on that diameter will wrinkle the pipe.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X