Excellent article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf View Post
    Quite the oppposite - I can't imagine car guys getting together and actually arguing that someone is right over someone else. Our group of friends is about one thing: cars. However they're done. Just today, we went to Cars & Coffee Irvine and then to breakfast - here we are in the parking lot:

A stanced car, a hot rod, and a Porsche track car. That's us, simple as that, and we've never had a need to argue. I don't understand the lack of mutual respect for fellow car lovers and their cars.

To each his own I suppose though. You're more than welcome to not like something. I just don't get the "right and wrong" attitude. It's akin to getting upset with someone and telling them they're wrong for getting chocolate ice cream when you like vanilla.

You actually have no idea what you're talking about.

There's no plea for acceptance - we've got that already. Not from everyone, but we're a solid staple in the car community these days. Our forum is twice the size of this one, and it has been around a fraction of the amount of time. That's not a putdown of this place: this was the first car forum I was really a part of. But my point is fair. We've got our acceptance. Even the upper tier of BMW NA and AG both truly appreciate StanceWorks and enjoy what we do.
    Instead, we just want to rid the absurd negativity that seems rampant. See above.

Also - of course the traditional guys are always gonna be there, and stance will fade - that's not the point. Stance is the latest in an ongoing constantly changing and evolving aftermarket. There's no reason to chastise people for doing something differently than you. Your tastes, styles, and preferences are not any more correct than theirs.

It's a Chevy. :)
    Considering this forum is about one specific model from a specific brand, and Stanceworks is an all encompassing site no matter what you drive, that's not really a good comparison there bud.

Considering you guys at Stanceworks seem to be the only car culture bitching about this alleged problem, I suspect you guys are the ones with the labias swollen, not everyone else.....
    Back to my roots

Comment

Originally posted by AdironRider View Post
      Considering this forum is about one specific model from a specific brand, and Stanceworks is an all encompassing site no matter what you drive, that's not really a good comparison there bud.

Considering you guys at Stanceworks seem to be the only car culture bitching about this alleged problem, I suspect you guys are the ones with the labias swollen, not everyone else.....
      It wasn't an attempt at a fair comparison. It was a comparison of size to paint a picture. My point was that SW isn't begging for people to accept us, which you seem to feel is the case. We have a massive community of mostly open minded individuals.
      Instead, it a plea for people to open their eyes and realize that there is no right or wrong way to modify a car. If you truly believe there is, your opinions are misguided and franly, you're wrong. It's unarguable. I just don't understand the negative "you're wrong" mentality. Don't like stance? Cool by me. But acting like you're better than someone just because you choose to modify your car a different way is legitimately silly. (You/your are not pointed at you. I'm using it as a general subject)

Comment

I'd rather be in my garage working on my cars than in some parking lot showing off looking for "acceptance" from all the other car people. I like to talk about car stuff but just with my friends who I like to hang out with anyway.

I can accept any type of car an appreciate it for what it is especially if it has been done well. I appreciate someones hard work more than anything. But taking a crappy car and dropping to the ground and sticking your rims way out is not something I appreciate.

Oh and function over form trumps all. And like momma says if you cant do it right don't do it at all!
        sigpic

Comment

Excellent article

Quite the oppposite - I can't imagine car guys getting together and actually arguing that someone is right over someone else. Our group of friends is about one thing: cars. However they're done. Just today, we went to Cars & Coffee Irvine and then to breakfast - here we are in the parking lot:

A stanced car, a hot rod, and a Porsche track car. That's us, simple as that, and we've never had a need to argue. I don't understand the lack of mutual respect for fellow car lovers and their cars.

To each his own I suppose though. You're more than welcome to not like something. I just don't get the "right and wrong" attitude. It's akin to getting upset with someone and telling them they're wrong for getting chocolate ice cream when you like vanilla.
          Let me clarify before you get the wrong idea. I have nothing against a high quality top notch build. Heck, I loved Rusty's build thread, and there are more than a select group of build threads I enjoy reading on S|W. Would I ever build a car like that? No. But just because I admit I wouldn't ever build it doesn't mean I can't appreciate it.

Now keeping that in mind, when I meet someone with exceptional quality in himself and in his car, I respect his opinion and honor his build. That doesn't mean I don't have my own opinion, but in person, in the real world, is not somewhere that I usually choose to express it point blank. However, when you get on the forums, where people are not shy or weary to share their opinions, are likewise just as opinionated and (hopefully) have thick skins, you will have tension, and you will have disagreements, and you will have people spouting their opinions off willy-nilly. Does what they say on the forum dictate their character? Hardly. I've met people off the boards who have surprised, and I've surprised when I met them in real life. Normally when I meet up car folks, I have no problem with them, and generally get along pretty well despite our different builds and opinions.

With both those things explained, what I CAN'T stand are the people who are douchebags on AND off the boards; people who try to pass off their builds as"quality." The poseurs that melt springs, raise their shock towers via Chinese single-setting camber plates + nut-"spacers", roll around on 19x10 XXRs wrapped in 155/25s stretchy rubber bands with 15* camber and baseball-bat pounded-to-hell fenders just to get wheels that generally don't even look good to fit. The people who look like car people, but in reality are not. The people who have to watch out or they'll curb the INSIDE rim of their wheels while parallel parking. You know who I'm talking about.

I guess my biggest gripe with S|W, or really, just the stance-scene in general, is that it's the biggest segment of the car community that seems to produce the most poseurs; people who generally don't care about their car, but would go to any and every length to "look" extreme; when in reality, they are not.
          Last edited by JinormusJ; 08-31-2013, 02:29 PM.

Comment

It wasn't an attempt at a fair comparison. It was a comparison of size to paint a picture. My point was that SW isn't begging for people to accept us, which you seem to feel is the case. We have a massive community of mostly open minded individuals.
            Instead, it a plea for people to open their eyes and realize that there is no right or wrong way to modify a car. If you truly believe there is, your opinions are misguided and franly, you're wrong. It's unarguable. I just don't understand the negative "you're wrong" mentality. Don't like stance? Cool by me. But acting like you're better than someone just because you choose to modify your car a different way is legitimately silly. (You/your are not pointed at you. I'm using it as a general subject)
            This is what 12 year olds in middle school feel.

In the real world, people have opinions and can act how they choose. This isn't a popularity contest. If someone doesn't like your car, no one cares except you guys.

This seems to be the point you guys cant seem to understand. You take it as a personal attack if someone doesn't like your car.

You know what NOONE likes, whiny bitches. Everyone doesn't get a trophy for everything they do. Grow a pair and do what you want and stop looking for confirmation from the cool kids.
            Back to my roots

Comment

Sleeping In an office chair while someone else puts an m60 in your rat rod truck... I'm sure your a good guy and all but... I'm sorry just cuz you turn a wrench in a shop sometimes doesn't make you what you make yourself out to be
              Last edited by hendrixvodu; 08-31-2013, 03:58 PM.
              -His-
              87 e30 325i
              87 e24 m6
              05 e83 x3
              94 e32 740i 5spd
              -Hers-
              89 e30 325i
              18 f48 x1

Comment

Originally posted by JinormusJ View Post
                Now keeping that in mind, when I meet someone with exceptional quality in himself and in his car, I respect his opinion and honor his build. That doesn't mean I don't have my own opinion, but in person, in the real world, is not somewhere that I usually choose to express it point blank. However, when you get on the forums, where people are not shy or weary to share their opinions, are likewise just as opinionated and (hopefully) have thick skins, you will have tension, and you will have disagreements, and you will have people spouting their opinions off willy-nilly. Does what they say on the forum dictate their character? Hardly. I've met people off the boards who have surprised, and I've surprised when I met them in real life. Normally when I meet up car folks, I have no problem with them, and generally get along pretty well despite our different builds and opinions.

With both those things explained, what I CAN'T stand are the people who are douchebags on AND off the boards; people who try to pass off their builds as"quality." The poseurs that melt springs, raise their shock towers via Chinese single-setting camber plates + nut-"spacers", roll around on 19x10 XXRs wrapped in 155/25s stretchy rubber bands with 15* camber and baseball-bat pounded-to-hell fenders just to get wheels that generally don't even look good to fit. The people who look like car people, but in reality are not. The people who have to watch out or they'll curb the INSIDE rim of their wheels while parallel parking. You know who I'm talking about.

I guess my biggest gripe with S|W, or really, just the stance-scene in general, is that it's the biggest segment of the car community that seems to produce the most poseurs; people who generally don't care about their car, but would go to any and every length to "look" extreme; when in reality, they are not.
                I think this really hit the nail on the head. Even the biggest trolls don't actively search for people to bully.

All in all, I feel this comes down to car guys and non car guys. Like mentioned I can get along generally quite fine with just about any car guy from any walk of life. When a car guy builds a car, it doesn't matter if they have a budget of 500 dollars or 500,000 dollars. It's always top notch care and work.

On the other hand, it's the non car people who are the reason for this. It's not the guys building the car for the car, it's the guys who build the car for art. It's the art guys who look at a few pictures on the internet, buy a few cheap parts to replicate the look, and then shoot the car with a camera that costs ten times the value of the car.

These people don't really care about the car, they spend more time in photoshop than wrenching, and the end result is they post on these forums seeking praise for their latest masterpiece. Doesn't matter if it's a Volvo or a Datsun, but god forbid the filter on the lens was the wrong damn shade.

The thing is, as car people we can see through the non car people, and those are the people who cause problems. They get upset nobody likes their art, and pitch fits on the forums. They default to retaliation with responses like "It's me" or "It's the expression of myself" when in reality they were just copying the next bloke with blue wheels. These people don't understand car people, and they never will.

When was the last time a true car guy used expressions like "It's who I am" or "How I express myself"? We are here first and last for our cars, not our petty bullshit expressions. It's the reason most of us here have cars completely falling apart and rotting yet we get along quite fine.

Lastly, nobody respected major artists until centuries after their deaths. Put the camera, the filters,and the flash down. you aren't fooling anyone.

Also, before I go, it was never a problem until the "outcasts" made it a problem. Art is for the museum, cars are for driving.
                1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Originally posted by hendrixvodu View Post
                  Sleeping In an office chair while someone else puts an m60 in your rat rod truck... I'm sure your a good guy and all but... I'm sorry just cuz you turn a wrench in a shop sometimes doesn't make you what you make yourself out to be
                  Dude, just shut up.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                  Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                    Dude, just shut up.
                    Come at me bro ;)
                    -His-
                    87 e30 325i
                    87 e24 m6
                    05 e83 x3
                    94 e32 740i 5spd
                    -Hers-
                    89 e30 325i
                    18 f48 x1

Comment

Unsure what just happened..

Comment

this thread sucks
                        Originally posted by TSI
                        ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
                        OEM+

Comment

Originally posted by jinormusj View Post
                          unsure what just happened..
                          lol
                          » PARTS FOR SALE
                          » TRANSACTION FEEDBACK

Comment

Anddd it's gone.

Originally posted by blunttech
                            Dude this is r3v. 20 bucks gets you a used timing belt or a low mileage head gasket

Comment

Originally posted by mrcheezle19 View Post
                              Anddd it's gone.
                              What's gone the article is still there.
                              https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by JinormusJ View Post
                                Stance|Works

please. you're only provoking them.

Comment

Working...
                                X