School me on aftermarket guages..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on aftermarket guages..

I'm mainly looking to get a good inexpensive fuel pressure and oil pressure guage. Maybe oil temp.

From what I've seen (I'm a newb) they have the inlets directly on the back of the guage. I watched an install tutorial on youtube and watched a guy run a 1/8" fuel line to the hood of his jeep and hooked it to the back of the gauge. I want my guages inside and I'm quite sure there's a remote sensor availible?

Would anyone care to share their experiences with brand, install, price?

You're initially referring to a "mechanical gauge", which I'd tend to shy away from. The solenoid-based gauges are called "electrical gauges". You can visually tell the difference pretty quickly as the mechanical gauges use nearly 360' needle sweep while the electrical gauges use about 160' needle sweep.

Look into VDO gauges from either North Hollywood Speedo (some of the most knowledgeable guys out there) and/or egauges.com (cheapest out there).
    ADAMS Autosport

Comment

I had sunpro gauges.. Not too bad, and they have an old school vibe to them that suits the e30s in my opinion.

Had the mechanical oil pressure gauge. Minus some wiring issues (my fault), it seemed to work fine. They are much cheaper online so I would recommend that.

Comment

geesh. So idealy 150-250 for a guage?

Comment

Nothing wrong with mechanical gauges. VDO will probably match the best in an E30 and they are not much money.

Comment

eBay gauges are fine as long as they are made by a reputable manufacturer.
            I would go electrical over mechanical all day. For the mere fact that running a line to a mechanical gauge is often much more cumbersome than running a wire or two to the gauge.

If you want ultra precision then yes the 150-250 is not out of line.

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
              You're initially referring to a "mechanical gauge", which I'd tend to shy away from. The solenoid-based gauges are called "electrical gauges". You can visually tell the difference pretty quickly as the mechanical gauges use nearly 360' needle sweep while the electrical gauges use about 160' needle sweep.

Look into VDO gauges from either North Hollywood Speedo (some of the most knowledgeable guys out there) and/or egauges.com (cheapest out there).

Edit: I think that summit might have the specs and pic wrong on this gauge.
              Last edited by 10Toes; 09-17-2013, 10:01 AM.

Comment

glowshift products are actually pretty nice, and inexpensive. I gutted one for my digital oil pressure sensor and I was really impressed at how well designed it was.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I have some cheesy Stewart Warner gauges in my lemon
                  https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Your hunch on the wrong picture is right #150-111

As for electrical vs. mechanical gauges, there's pro's and con's for both. No right/wrong, I just tend to like the electrical gauges for street use.
                    Last edited by SkiFree; 09-17-2013, 12:21 PM.
                    ADAMS Autosport

Comment

I've always stuck with the VDO gauges, done right by me.
                      1987 Delphin 325e Sedan - Natalie
                      1990 325i 24v
                      1997 Chevrolet K1500 Crew Cab 4x4 - The Centurion

Comment

Working...
                      X