Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*NOW WITH PIC* City does not allow vehicle repair inside your property?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*NOW WITH PIC* City does not allow vehicle repair inside your property?

So I got into the e30 scene when I picked up my 325 a few months back. Its a slow process because I only get to work on it when I get into town on the weekends (school/work). Well I just got a call from my sister who said that a guy from the city of houston told her in a very vague description but the gist of it said I couldnt be repairing a car where it is.

The car is in the back of the house behind a 10 foot iron fence sitting under a car port behind an atv (brand new, under a tarp). The distance between the fence and the car is about 100 ft. So its not exactly the easiest thing to spot from the street. Now the car is almost completely disassembled. The fenders, brakes, steering rack, wheels, interior, front valence/bumper are all off the car. The big items like wheels, bumper and valence are sitting next to the car under the car port, all the smaller items are boxed in a shed.

Is what he is saying really true? He actually left an ordinance code:
    10-451-vio

So I searched online and nothing. So I went looking for a municipal code "book" online and found this:
    MunicodeNEXT, the industry's leading search application with over 3,300 codes and growing!

still havent been able to find the specific code violation. Anyways, ill look into it further when I have time. Does anyone with any experience in the field know what exactly that vio is??

Last edited by joncrz; 10-07-2013, 03:39 PM. Reason: Picture added

My don't quote me list:

Originally posted by george graves
    I could be wrong, but I don't think it's a smog test type of thing. IIRC think it's against CA law to *sell* a dual outlet muffler as a replacement for a car that came from the factory with a single. But don't quote me on that.

Sec. 10-451. Nuisances, generally.

(a)
    Whatever is dangerous to human health or welfare, or whatever renders the ground, the water, the air, or food a hazard to human health is hereby declared to be a nuisance.
    (b)
    The following specific acts, conditions, and things are declared to constitute public nuisances and are hereby prohibited and made unlawful:
    (1)
    The deposit or accumulation of any foul, decaying, or putrescent substance or other offensive matter in or upon any lot, street, or in or upon any public or private place in such a way as to become offensive or objectionable; the overflow of any foul liquids, or the escape of any gases, dusts, fumes, mists, and sprays to such an extent that the same, or any one of them, shall become, or be likely to become, hazardous to health or a source of discomfort to persons living or passing in the vicinity, or that the same shall by reason of offensive odors become a source of discomfort to persons living or passing in the vicinity thereof.
    (2)
    A polluted well, or cistern, spring or stream, or the pollution of any body of water used for drinking purposes.
    (3)
    The maintenance of any privy, vault or cesspool, except as provided in this Code.
    (4)
    Keeping any building or room is such state of uncleanliness or the crowding of person in any building or room in such a manner as to endanger the health of the persons dwelling therein, or so that there shall be less than 400 cubic feet of air to each adult, and 150 cubic feet of air to each child under 12 years of age occupying such building or room. To the extent of any conflict between the requirements of this item and those established in section 10-331 of this Code, the more restrictive shall apply.
    (5)
    Allowing cellars to be used as sleeping rooms.
    (6)
    A building or portion of a building occupied as a dwelling which is not lighted and ventilated by means of at least one window, opening to the outer air, in each room, or any such building which is not provided with a plentiful supply of pure water.
    (7)
    The accumulation of manure, unless it is in a properly constructed pit or receptacle.
    (8)
    The maintenance, in a public place, of a roller towel for the use of more than one person.
    (9)
    The slopping or feeding of cattle or other animals on distillery swill, unless the enclosure wherein such slopping or feeding is done is provided with means for preventing and removing the unsanitary conditions associated with such slopping or feeding.
    (10)
    Permitting the existence of weeds, brush, rubbish, and all other objectionable, unsightly, and insanitary matter of whatever nature covering or partly covering the surface of any lots or parcels of real estate situated within the city; permitting such lots or parcels of real estate, as aforesaid, to have the surface thereof filled or partly filled with holes or be in such condition that the same holds or is liable to hold stagnant water therein, or from any other cause be in such condition as to be liable to cause disease or produce, harbor, or spread disease germs of any nature or tend to render the surrounding atmosphere unhealthy, unwholesome, or obnoxious.
    Such lots or parcels of real estate in addition to those grounds within their respective boundaries shall be held to include all lots or parcels of ground lying and being adjacent to and extending beyond the property line of any such lots or parcels of real estate to the curbline of adjacent streets, where a curbline has been established, and 14 feet beyond the property line where no curbline has been established on adjacent streets, and also to the center of adjacent alleys.
    The word "weeds" as herein used shall include all rank and uncultivated vegetable growth or matter which has grown to more than nine inches in height or which, regardless of height, is liable to become an unwholesome or decaying mass or a breeding place for mosquitoes or vermin. The word "brush" as herein used shall include all trees or shrubbery under seven feet in height which are not cultivated or cared for by person owning or controlling the premises. The word "rubbish" shall include all refuse, rejected tin cans, old vessels of all sorts, useless articles, discarded clothing and textiles of all sorts, and in general all litter and all other things usually included within the meaning of such term. The words "any and all other objectionable, unsightly, or insanitary matter of whatever nature" shall include all uncultivated vegetable growth, objects and matters not included within the meaning of the other terms as herein used, which are liable to produce or tend to produce an unhealthy, unwholesome or unsanitary condition to the premises within the general locality where the same are situated, and shall also include any species of ragweed or other vegetable growth which might or may tend to be unhealthy to individuals residing within the general locality of where the same are situated.
    The provisions of this item (10) shall not be applicable to a "natural area," and it shall also constitute an affirmative defense to prosecution in any criminal proceeding that is initiated under this item (10) that the property or affected portion thereof is a "natural area" that is being maintained in accordance with a permit issued under section 32-10 of this Code and regulations issued thereunder, and further provided that:
    a.
    The natural area is maintained and managed so that no weeds or debris are allowed to accumulate and create an imminent hazard to health or safety; and
    b.
    The natural area is regularly mowed so as to prevent uncontrolled vegetation growth within ten feet of a public roadway and within five feet of a public sidewalk.
    (11)
    Permitting the accumulation or collection of any water, stagnant, flowing, or otherwise, in which the mosquito breeds or which may become a breeding place for mosquitoes, unless such accumulation or collection of water is treated so as effectually to prevent such breeding.
    The natural presence of well grown mosquito larvae, or of pupae, shall be evidence that proper precautions have not been taken to prevent the breeding of mosquitoes.
    (12)
    Permitting the detectible presence of urine or the presence of feces, vomit and other bodily fluids in or upon any property, including any sidewalk adjacent to any paved portion of a street abutting the property, that may be accessible to the public or in such a manner that the presence of any of the foregoing may be detected in the vicinity of the property.
    (c)
    It shall be unlawful for any owner, lessee, occupant, or any agent, representative, or employee of any owner, lessee, or occupant or any other person having ownership, occupancy, or control of any land, or improvements thereon, to permit, allow, or suffer any condition to exist on such property if such condition is prohibited or made unlawful under the provisions of this section. It shall be an affirmative defense to prosecution under section 10-451(b)(12) of this Code that the detectible presence of urine or the presence of feces, vomit or other bodily fluids in or on any property is specifically authorized or permitted by law or ordinance.
    (d)
    Except as provided below, whenever in this section an act is made or declared to be unlawful, the first violation by any person of any such provision shall be punishable by a fine of not less than $50.00 nor more than $1,000.00; the second violation by the same person of any such provision shall be punishable by a fine of not less than $100.00 nor more than $1,500.00; and the third and any subsequent violation by the same person of any such provision shall be punishable by a fine of not less than $200.00 nor more than $2,000.00. Provided, however, if a person is convicted of an offense under this section which offense is also a violation of the criminal provisions of any state law, such person shall be subject to the criminal penalties set out in state law. Each day any violation of this section continues shall constitute a separate offense.
    The first violation of item 10-451(b)(12) of this Code shall be punishable by a fine of not less than $200.00, nor more than $1,000.00; the second violation by the same person of such provision shall be punishable by a fine of not less than $400.00, nor more than $1,500.00; the third and any subsequent violation by the same person of such provision shall be punishable by a fine of not less than $600.00, nor more than the maximum amount allowed by law.

---1991 M50 Powered More Door
    ---1990 Slow Calypso Cabrio
    ---2002 9k Rev Honda

Comment

I don't know why but I searched and found 10-451 it. "v10" means section V, article 10 - which is about the accumulation of rubbish.

but if you actually read it, they're talking about the accumulation of junk that is unsightly and a danger to health. I think classifying a car that you're working on in a carport as "rubbish that is a danger to health" is a stretch.

it mentions nothing about working on a car. somebody is being a nosy neighbor.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

tell the guy to fuck off, a car does not equal trash
        88 325is Five Speed
        Lachssilber

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Faust Schinken View Post
          tell the guy to fuck off, a car does not equal trash

^ this
          NRG Quick Release/MOMO Hubs|NRG Limited Edition Deep Dish Wheels|NRG Wood Wheels|Nardi|
          9five Eyewear|Day of the Dead Tees|
          WORK Wheels|Lug Nuts|
          STÄTUS|
          Got Juice?|

Comment

That guy probably doesn't know how to work on a car, so he throws a fit and calls it in on you. Everyday I come across more and more males that don't know how to work on a car and it is truly disappointing.
            1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
            2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
            2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Originally posted by redsubdivisions View Post
              That guy probably doesn't know how to work on a car, so he throws a fit and calls it in on you. Everyday I come across more and more males that don't know how to work on a car and it is truly disappointing.
              they probably own everything in this list:
              You aren't a kid anymore. So stop acting like one, and start being the grown-azz man you ought to be.

including the ultra-cheesy "tool kit".
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                I don't know why but I searched and found 10-451 it. "v10" means section V, article 10 - which is about the accumulation of rubbish.

but if you actually read it, they're talking about the accumulation of junk that is unsightly and a danger to health. I think classifying a car that you're working on in a carport as "rubbish that is a danger to health" is a stretch.

it mentions nothing about working on a car. somebody is being a nosy neighbor.
                That is my problem. My time is limited to only on the weekends to work on this car OR fight this BS "problem".... and the city of houston loves not working on the weekends.

IF I were to fight it I guess it just comes down to how does the city define Junk. We wouldnt consider our car junk but would the city ? I can back up the restoration process with receipts to them but would they even look at it? For sure non of the items I have on there can be considered dangerous. What I would consider dangerous is constantly having to raise & lower the car (to park it out front nice and pretty for them when I am done for the day) while restoring instead of having it full time on 6 jack like I do now. Hell even brand new jacks scare me when you consider where most of them come from.

I guess my problem is would the department actually try and understand my reasoning or do they just nazi around and dont listen to reason? Never dealt with these guys so I genuinely dont know.
                Last edited by joncrz; 09-30-2013, 10:34 AM.

My don't quote me list:

I could be wrong, but I don't think it's a smog test type of thing. IIRC think it's against CA law to *sell* a dual outlet muffler as a replacement for a car that came from the factory with a single. But don't quote me on that.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                  they probably own everything in this list:
                  You aren't a kid anymore. So stop acting like one, and start being the grown-azz man you ought to be.

including the ultra-cheesy "tool kit".
                  LMAO the tool kit is a joke. I taught my sisters how to use tools to fix simple things around the house and I am sure even they would break that kit.

My don't quote me list:

Comment

Originally posted by pacmanE30 View Post
                    ^ this

I can tell that guy to fuck off all day but the problem is can he still cite me even though he is wrong just to make me waste my time through the whole city bureaucratic process to get it dismissed.

My don't quote me list:

Comment

I think you should fight it.

is the lawn mowed/kept up pretty well? if it's a bit rough looking that may be working against you.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by redsubdivisions View Post
                        That ordinance is for hoarder/lazy assholes. I would just ignore it since it was a warning.

and yes I work with other Mechanical Engineers and it pisses me off when they take their car to a shop to put in a new oxygen sensor. I'm like seriously you're a fucking Mechanical Engineer, how did you pass.
                        "I wanna see da boat movie"
                        "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

you can probably blame your neighbors for this.

Is it registered and insured?
                          '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

In the city private property is never private property.
                            1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by e30rapidic View Post
                              you can probably blame your neighbors for this.

Is it registered and insured?
                              This it is probably a neighbor complaining.

Comment

Working...
                              X