Poll: Can you heel-toe from 2nd to 1st?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poll: Can you heel-toe from 2nd to 1st?

Well? Honestly, can you do it? I can heel-toe 3rd to 2nd all day, but it is almost impossible to get 2nd to 1st smoothly.

Any tips if you can?
    Yes
    45.45%
    No
    25.76%
    Rob
    28.79%

I rev match into first all the time. You have to be going the correct speed(slow enough) and properly align the engine to the tranny via the throttle.

Comment

Rev-match I can do, but can you do it while you are still on the brake?

I need to perfect this to make my torqueless car faster at the auto-x's

Comment

Jeez man... 1st gear is almost useless though. Im sure its possible but you'd be crawling and need a giant blip to raise the RPM's, so it could be done I guess but you'd need to be able to blip really hard. I only put my car in 1st unless im almost at a complete stop, but autox in a 318 might be a little different...
        Btw - I voted Rob. lol

Comment

I've done it when I have to round a pivot cone. It's just the same as any other gear, you just need to blip it much harder. Even doing that, it's still a pretty rough transition compared to any other gearchange...it can't be too great for the tranny.

Comment

Yes I can. What speed are you travelling at when you try to do this? The car has to be within a certain speed range in order to get it right. When you practice, are you able to get it right? You need to find the optimal speed to do this at.

Comment

between movement of me, movement of the tranny in its mounts, and movement of the engine, i basically blow it every time i try to drop to first for a pivot. holding second is almost always faster as a result.
              BEERTECH

Comment

I practice on big trucks, where you have to stand on the gas for awhile before it revs up. I like to do it to bust phat drifts at the autox yo

Comment

in 2nd, put your heel on the brake, slow down to 1200 rpms, clutch in, keep your heel on the brake until youve stopped moving, wait two seconds, downshift to 1st, rotate your right foot to the gas pedal only, while simultaneously releasing the clutch. voila, youve just heel-toe downshifted to first.
                  : : 1984 318i : : PNW E30 Crew : : Sold!!
                  Now becoming the R3vlimited Pro3 car
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=93780

Comment

heel on the brake? huh?
                    BEERTECH

Comment

Originally posted by chuckybob
                      in 2nd, put your heel on the brake, slow down to 1200 rpms, clutch in, keep your heel on the brake until youve stopped moving, wait two seconds, downshift to 1st, rotate your right foot to the gas pedal only, while simultaneously releasing the clutch. voila, youve just heel-toe downshifted to first.
                      heheh wait two seconds

Comment

Originally posted by chuckybob
                        i knew all the champs did it like this

Comment

its all about the double-clutch.
                          Michael Spiegle

'01 Ford Escape / Daily Driver
                          '99 M3 / Track Car
                          '87 325is bronzit / wtf car
                          '06 Daytona Triumph 675 / Daily Rider

Comment

You're going to be able to concentrate on your line more if you're not constantly changing gears. Leave it in 2nd.
                            Trevor Ely
                            '95 M Sport 540i - '00 A4 1.8TQMS - '85 190E 2.3-16
                            '88 535is - '87 325e - '89 325is - '91 318is - '90 325is - '96 328is

Comment

Originally posted by bmwm3n528
                              You're going to be able to concentrate on your line more if you're not constantly changing gears. Leave it in 2nd.
                              It's pretty difficult to accelerate hard from a near stop in 2nd in a cammed 318is. Also, there isn't much a line to worry about around a pivot cone.

Comment

Working...
                              X