M42 in the trunk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 in the trunk?

I am driving to colorado to pick a motor and I would like to take my e30 rather than borrow a truck that gets 12mpg. I think if I pull the manifolds I should be able to lay it down in the trunk.

Any tips for transporting a motor in your e30?

Maybe I could remove my pass. seat for the trip and put the motor there...

Ive had an M10 in the trunk of my 2002, but as you know 02 trunks seem to be HUGE. If the manifolds were taken off though, I dont see why it wouldnt fit on its side. To be safer though and for the ease of putting it in and taking it out, I'd suggest taking the pass seat out and putting down plastic and cardboard and sort of put the engine there laying/sitting down however it will fit. Maybe some blocks of wood would help with that too.

Comment

I'd just do what justin said and put it where the pass seat goes with some cardboard/tarp. Then don't r3v.

Comment

i would put it in the trunk. that thing is a flying problem if you wreck or someone hits you.

Comment

Originally posted by ptownTSI
          i would put it in the trunk. that thing is a flying problem if you wreck or someone hits you.
          fine put the seatbelt on it then :rofl:
          ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

i carried a volvo 240 motor in my 325is.. in the trunk w/ manifolds on.. but i had a bungee holding down the trunk lid.. can you yeeeeeeeehaaaaw.

julien
            Build Threads:
            Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

I've had an m10 where the passenger seat goes and in the trunk at the same time - they both fit no problem (no manifolds or accessories...just the long blocks, and I left the oil pan on). Just make sure you put plenty of plastic down - it'll probably leak all over the place.

It was the m10 under the hood that was hurting.

Comment

I fit an m20 w/o manifolds no prob. makes me think an m42 would also fit.

Comment

You can pick up an M42 with 2/3 people

Comment

I've put an m10 in the trunk of my 88 325is, and an m30 in the passenger floor board of the same car.
                    85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

I think if you remove enough components from the engine it should fit. I've been able to haul a Getrag 260 in the trunk along with other gear without a prob....heck, you can even fit a couple of bodies back there if you're creative :-P

Jon
                      Rides...
                      1991 325i - sold :(
                      2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

Ive transported and entire VW 8v engine and trans with intake and exhaust manifolds in the trunk of my old 84 318. The m42 should fit, a bit of work but i dont see why it wouldnt

Originally posted by vlad
                        Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon325i
                          I think if you remove enough components from the engine it should fit. I've been able to haul a Getrag 260 in the trunk along with other gear without a prob....heck, you can even fit a couple of bodies back there if you're creative :-P

Jon
                          Sawzall will get you at least 4 or 5, I'd bet.

:jk:
                          Current Cars
                          2014 M235i
                          2009 R56 Cooper S
                          1998 M3
                          1997 M3

Comment

making a stroker are you?

Comment

Where in colorado?

I would put it inside the car. Just incase you get a flat or something happens you need to get to your spair tire. You got a 2-4 door? 4 door slide the passenger seat foward and stick in in the rear foot well. Might be able to do it in a 2 door also if you are strong.

Originally posted by DaveCN
                              Welcome.

Your car is a piece of shit.

Most of them here are, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X