325i 4dr S52 vs 325is M52

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325i 4dr S52 vs 325is M52

Sup r3v, me and cousin did some friendly runs..

Mine (4dr) 90 325i
    .98 S52 obd1
    .Check engine light (02 sensor)
    .540 MAF
    .21Lb injectors
    .3:73Lsd

Cousin (2dr) 87 325is
    .97 M52 obd1
    .S52 Cams
    .540 MAF
    .4:10Lsd
    .21Lb injectors
    .Weight in at 2500Lb

Race 1 http://youtu.be/MiWfKStiXN0

Race 2 http://youtu.be/L04cK-sOZFg

2nd-3rd gear, cars were very close, I was a bit impressed.. I don't usually see videos that compare the two swaps so I'd thought id share ;). Thanks for looking.
    sigpic

Very nice cars but please be safe and pay the $20 or so and take it to a track. No tickets, cross traffic or other innocent motorists.

Comment

Stuff like this is always interesting. I wanna see m20 vs m42 and m50 vs m20

Comment

Wonder how he'd have held up with a 3:73 as well
        sigpic

Comment

Ill be posting another two videos up soon. Same car (M52 e30) vs a buddys e46 M3 6speed. Results will shock some of you as it did me. That 4:10lsd did wonders for the e30 lol!
          sigpic

Comment

About the m20 vs m50 race.

My friends car was a vert with hardtop m50 with s50 cams zf trans and 3.25 diff

Mine was 87 325is stock 2.5 M20 engine, 2k on top end rebuild with 323i intake manifold ebay chip and 3.46 diff.

We went from a roll in 2nd gear to the top of 3rd gear and I beat him by half a car length.

I was pretty shocked

Comment

I'm impressed with the M- engine. The spec sheets suggest there would be a more significant difference.

Side bar - holy hell that coupe is bouncing around a lot. Soft spring rates? Worn shocks? Both?

Comment

Originally posted by cwatt View Post
                I'm impressed with the M- engine. The spec sheets suggest there would be a more significant difference.

Side bar - holy hell that coupe is bouncing around a lot. Soft spring rates? Worn shocks? Both?

Coupe has lo-tec springs I believe, struts and shocks I'm not sure what he's running.
                sigpic

Comment

As Promised.. M52 e30 vs Stock E46 M3

Ok so sorry for poor quality.. Filmed at night with Iphone. Good job e30 IMO! My cousin can correct on this quote but I believe he's $800-$1000 max on his swap/build.. He kept up with me and I was $3500 into my S52 swap. My buddys e46 M3 is by no means slow, and has 76K on the odometer.. Way to go e30:p. Thanks!

Race 1

Race 2

Race 3

Races didnt happen in this exact order.
                  sigpic

Comment

he'd have 90% of the performance due to the low weight, a full weight late e30 is ~2800lb w/o driver. reducing by 300lb or more is like adding 10% more torque from idle to redline (or more if the 2500lb is with driver)

also modded m52 vs S52 wont be much in a race since peak hp is similar (on some build ive seen anyway), the S52 will have the the torque but that shows up most at low to mid rpm which arent used in a drag race and its more about peak hp/weight
                    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
                    X