No announcement yet.

No Cat in NYC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone is correct in saying there are no emissions test for all cars older than 1996, as we do not have OBD2 ports. The garage doing the inspection is supposed to do a visual test, which includes ensuring that all emissions equipment is working properly. I know the shop I go to does not care about the cat, because I asked them. I can't say that every inspection shop will feel the same way though. Your best bet would be to just straight up ask, and if they give you a hard time, choose another inspection location
    I like cats.

Comment

If you want a set of resonators/catalytic converters, I'm pretty sure that I still have that section of the down tubes that I cut off the race car. PM me if interested.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

You guys are killing me. Let's forget about emissions, does my car have to have a catalytic converter?

Comment

Originally posted by nycmpower View Post
          You guys are killing me. Let's forget about emissions, does my car have to have a catalytic converter?
          No it does not.

Only thing you have to make sure your car is not super loud. THAT will get you "loud exhaust" ticket.
          My Seller/Buyer Feedback

Performance Aftermarket Parts & Accessories

Comment

Awesome, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by nycmpower View Post

Originally posted by MrSlacker View Post
              No it does not.

Only thing you have to make sure your car is not super loud. THAT will get you "loud exhaust" ticket.

Exactly... For all nyc cares you can run open headers and all you'll get is a loud exhaust ticket. This ain't cali Lol!

In terms of inspection you can usually find a shop and throw em a few extra bucks and thell just give you a sticker. Especially if they know even if they failed you they're not making money on any jobs anyways.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
              -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Called Albany DMV emissions dept. The guy said I don't need to pass emissions, I said "I know but can I get a fine for no cat?" the guy said "There's 1000 pages of laws and I'm not looking through it." I'mma roll the dice.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                  what do you gain by removing your cat? 2hp? 100 bro points?
                  I gained 180.00 for mine ;)

Here is upstate you do not need it to pass, if it will not hook up to the machine to test the system, they just do a visual inspection. I think it is like '96 and older? not 100% sure on the year.

Tires, pads/rotors, Ebrake, tie rods and other suspension bits. The place I go to does not even go that far into it, just a quick once over. Biggest issue for mine, I cannot get it on any of their lifts ;D
                  ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                  ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                  ~ '87 535
                  ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                  ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Working...
                  X