E39 or E46 for a daily?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E39 or E46 for a daily?

What should I get and why do you think that? Thinking E39 due to the fact I have two kids and the wife, the extra room is nice.
    E39
    65.38%
    E46
    34.62%

I have an e39 sport wagon. Perfect for hauling my bikes and gear around and all the boxes from occasional Ikea trips fits. Spacious with room for all my friends. And I get decent mpg. I was playing with the idea of downsizing in the future to an e46 xi touring but I like mine too much atm. Looks really clean with a set of styles 5's

With having a family I definitely say e39
    Last edited by shameson; 01-23-2014, 12:14 AM.
    '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
    '91 Alpine 318i (Gone) Click Here
    '92 Alpine 325i Cabrio (Gone) Click Here
    '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

e39 i think they look nicer than the e46 too
      88 325is Five Speed
      Lachssilber

Comment

Another vote for e39. Great car.

Comment

e39 is much better looking.
          ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
          ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
          ~ '87 535
          ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
          ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

E46 zhp. Dont see a better dd, which is why im in the market for one.
            87 ETA | Hibernating

Comment

From my experience from my bros, one drives a 05 e46 m3 the other 01 e39 540I "dinan". I say the e39, get good mpg highway and nice comfort with space for unexpeced ppl or stuff. The e46 m3 has more useless backseat then the e30.

Comment

E39 530i all day long.

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
                RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

I'm staying away from the 540i, I don't want to deal with cam chain guides.

Comment

Just saw the mention of kids, yeah the e39 platform is pretty much your choice. Bro also had a e46 sedan and it was still uncomfortable in the back seat (im 6'2) and the e39 ample space. But with kids you might be able to pull of a e46.

Comment

Get a Lamborghini Aventador.

This way you only have to haul around one person at a time.
                      2011 1M Alpine white/black
                      1996 Civic white/black
                      1988 M3 lachs/black

Comment

I voted e46 mainly because I hate doing suspension work, and the e39 has a fair amount more links, bushings, and balljoints going on in that area. Some of those links are getting expensive these days, too. Overall, the e46 should be cheaper to run, but maybe not by much.

Either one is a good choice though. You're definitely on the right track with 6cyl e39. The kids consideration may give the nudge to the e39, I have to admit, but that would probably be the only reason for me.
                        '84 318i - Lapisblau/Schwarz (in cryosleep)
                        '06 330i - Titansilber/Schwarz

Comment

e39 because they look great, inexpensive, more robust and if you are looking at 4 door sedans you mind as well go with a full sized sedan.
                          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by einhander View Post
                            Get a Lamborghini Aventador.

This way you only have to haul around one person at a time.
                            I already have my caged talon, I don't need another one passenger car...

Comment

I DD a 540i, couldn't be happier. Plenty of space, ridiculous comfort and awesome features (the auto-stop windows are great for kids with a propensity to stick appendages out the window). Mileage is fantastic on the highway, and of course, plenty of power under my right foot.

Parts are not difficult to come by, and surprisingly cheap! I'm redoing control arms, sway bar and thrust arms next week for under $200. Oil changes are probably the priciest regular item ($120 on full synthetic). Any dead pixels are quite easy and cheap to fix, despite what you may read elsewhere.

Definitely get a 2001-2003, get a 530i Msport if you can, or at least one with sport seats. Stay away from the 525/528. 540 is nice, but the power is excessive.

Comment

Working...
                              X