85 528e motor in 89 325i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 528e motor in 89 325i

I've got an 85 528e that was t-boned. The engine is still pretty good. Got a chance to buy an 89 325i convertible with a blown engine. I know that the crank sensor is different, at the very least. Is that or anything else going to make it impractical to swap the engine?

Richard
    Richard

what exactly is wrong w/ b25? you thinking of making a 2.7i? or swapping the whole eta engine in?
    sigpic

Comment

Spend 100 - 500 bucks on a used M20B25, no sense in downgrading, even if its free.

Comment

Originally posted by PУCCKAЯ_e30
        what exactly is wrong w/ b25? you thinking of making a 2.7i? or swapping the whole eta engine in?
        head was ruined when the timing belt broke
        Richard

Comment

yeah that engine is pretty worthless to swap in (unless you just want to get the e30 running and driving).

www.rimstrader.com

all the parts you need to swap the M30 into your E30 here-> http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ght=m30+mounts

99 540i/66 911

Comment

Originally posted by 91Saleen#15
            head was ruined when the timing belt broke
            How bad was the damage? I just put a new head on my friends car when his timing belt snapped, sure the pistons were touched but it was not bad.

Most timing belt snaps you can get away with a new head.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwmike
              yeah that engine is pretty worthless to swap in (unless you just want to get the e30 running and driving).

Actually, that's what I was thinking of doing. I thought I might give the car to a neighbor kid who helps clean my shop. Get him started right with a bimmer instead of a ricer.
              Richard

Comment

Giving him a 325i with an eta engine is like a slap in the face!

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave
                  hahahaha. Good stuff. :D

Mariano

2001 Titaniumsilber 540i Sport 6-Speed
                  1990 Diamantschwarz Alpha-N 2.5L ///M3
                  1986 Alpinweiss 325e M50B25 (R.I.P.)

-Talk to me when more sound comes from the induction than from the exhaust...

-Argentina........lo mas grande que hay.

Comment

that's an unneeded headache..... you can get a good head and just slap it on....
                    sigpic

Comment

Actually, after reading a few websites about the difference between an eta and b25 engine, I'm not so sure it isn't a better engine for a 16 year old kid. One site said the eta engine would get 5 or 6 mpg better. It also said the eta engine was smoother and gave the impression of better power in the lower rpms.

So, I'm back to the original question: Is there any reason it would be impractical to put an eta engine in an 89 convertible? From the kids point of view, it's 500 for convertible and nothing for my eta engine versus 500 plus whatever else it takes to get a good head or a complete engine from an i.
                      Richard

Comment

Fuggit, do it. Its a damn convertible, its not like its good at anything but going slow and getting bugs in your hair anyway.
                        Im now E30less.
                        sigpic

Comment

As a 16 year old I wouldve taken a bimmer convert

www.rimstrader.com

all the parts you need to swap the M30 into your E30 here-> http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ght=m30+mounts

99 540i/66 911

Comment

Working...
                          X