No announcement yet.

Mini cooper or Element?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My sister has a Element and likes it...likes the rubber floor as it's easily washed out. Great for her dog and her climbing gear. Her twin has a Mini One and she likes it as well.
    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by Navarone View Post
      A new focus st would be awesome, older focuses meh
      "meh" indeed

After a year with mine, I can honestly say that it's reliability and "thriftyness" is what keeps it in my possession. It's not "exciting" to drive, but looks decent compared to a Corolla/Civic from that generation. Mine has the SES package with 16 inch wheels, rear spoiler and fog lights.

Sure the interior plastics are cheap, and yes, the 4 cyl isn't as refined as it's competition. But I can honestly say that having it around really helps you "focus" on what's more important in life. For me, that's putting some funds into the e30 getting the body perfected. Also, I can finally dedicate my spare time (that would usually be spent on car repairs/maint.) towards projects that will get me a career doing something I actually like.

Is the older focus perfect? no. My MIL got rid of hers simply because she wanted a newer, comfier car that had a sunroof, and was better built for highway driving. Can't blame her for that.

But is it safe, reliable and cheap. And if you want a car that'll get the job done and you won't feel inclined to spend an entire day detailing it, I think the focus might be for you

OP if you have any q's on what to look for, PM me. We've had three in our family so far and I've addressed many of the issues with them
      Last edited by Stanley Rockafella; 08-03-2014, 04:01 AM.
      If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

I'll also recommend a ford focus. I also own an 2008 ses model with 153k miles, I've owned it for about 3yrs now since about 44k miles. Rock solid, very cheap to own and maintain, and pretty fun to drive. Its not fast but it handles great. I've only had to replace motor mounts, valve cover gasket, and my ignition tumbler. Everything else has been normal maintenance, I've done front brakes once, and I'm still on the original rear drum brakes. I have no fear keeping it till 200k miles at which point I plan on getting a new car.

08-11 are the most reliable, and more reliable than the newer 12+ models. I see plenty of complaints about the current gen focus on the forums (focus fanatics), and hardly any complaints in the mk2 section.
        Last edited by andrewill; 08-03-2014, 09:12 AM.
        1991 325iA Sedan
        -Calyposorot
        -Sport Package
        -5 speed swap

Comment

I daily a 330i. Love it.

Comment

I have a 2011 Element lx that i daily. Wish i would have gotten an ex(just for the upgraded sound system) but i love the shit out of this car. Mine is a AWD model, and it is true that MPG isnt too great. Average about 20-22 mpg with mixed highway/city driving. Im a big outdoors person and have lots of hobbys. So the car suits me well. I feel like the 2010(maybe a year or 2 earlier than that) and up models did away with alot of the cheap shitting interior trim. It handles pretty well. Definitely nothing like the 08 civic si i DD before, but still good. Ive put mountain bikes in the back of it, camped in it, took it hunting in some sketchy inclined offroad trails, transported a 10 foot rug rolled up in it, and i even transported my m30 home from the junkyard in it(hilarious btw, sadly didnt take an pics).

If you dont give a shit what others think about you in a car, and can enjoy something just bc you love it, then you will like an element(if thats what you want). Im also the type of person that would DD a ford transit(older style, not newer) if they were easier to buy for a good price. So take that as you will lol.

And its hard to beat the honda reliability for a DD
            89 325i Coupe Auto Delphin Metallic - Sold
            91 325i Sedan Auto Brilliantrot - Sold
            83 323i Euro Coupe Manual Lapisblue - Sold
            89 325i Coupe Manual Delphin - Sold
            89 325i Sedan Auto Brilliantrot
            87 325i Vert Manual Brilliantrot

Comment

Working...
            X