Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 25 year importation rule and obdII compliance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 25 year importation rule and obdII compliance?

e36m3s in Europe are obviously much more stout than their American counterparts.

I had the euro 3.0 m3 motor in my touring, and am intrigued by the 3.2 liter e36m3 in europe with 321hp.

However, those cars are 96 and newer.

When they reach 25 years old and can be imported into the U.S. legally, how will obdII compliance work?
    Originally posted by blunt
    can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

That's a great question! In MD it would be handled by registering the vehicle as historic, thus exempting you from emissions/safety inspections.

I feel the real answer has to do with a specialty waiver that is aggravating at best to get. But who knows how laws will change in seven years.

Comment

wouldnt it just be easier to buy that motor now from an importer and swap it in an e36 here?
      IG: haggardfab

Comment

The 3.2 is overrated.

If you're bringing in any E36 M3, bring in an M3 GT.

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
        RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

Rather then wait another 10 years why not swap a s54 into a e30 or e36
          1989 BMW 325is Lachsilber metallic 5 speed
          2007 BMW 335i KARMESINROT 6 Speed manual
          2011 BMW X5 35I

Comment

Clean e30 shells are getting harder and harder to find, by the time e36's are under the 25 year rule e30's will probably get enough of a premium it would be a bummer to stuff one into a wall at the track.

Also, I'm sure all of us who have done swaps will admit, though it's a labor of love: swaps are a lot of work. I have a lift, forklift, and air but I'm still not in a rush to do another swap.

More of a curiosity question than anything, unsure what the U.S. E46 values vs euro e36m3 values will be like when the 25 year rule is current to e36.

And while the s54 is a more advanced than a euro 3.2, I fail to see how it is a bad motor with itb's and 321hp
            can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Comment

Also all cars in New York state 1996+ get hooked up to an obdII computer and pass the scan to get inspected.

Comment

Originally posted by ColdAccord View Post
                And while the s54 is a more advanced than a euro 3.2, I fail to see how it is a bad motor with itb's and 321hp
                It isn't a bad motor, but why would you go to the effort of getting a euro motor, when you can get a better one that's available in the US? Just seems like flawed logic.

Comment

My logic is to just buy a car, as opposed to swapping a motor, trans, driveshaft, diff, oil pan, sump, clutch hydraulics, motor and trans mounts, modify csb, modify a/c lines, engine wiring harness, clutch, flywheel, etc etc

Anyway, the original question was what happens when 1996+ cars are legal under the 25 year rule taking obdII requirements into consideration?

Comment

Working...
                  X