SOS: Stranded in Jersey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOS: Stranded in Jersey

I'm stuck at the Lombardi service station on I95S.
    I'm 21, broke, and stupid. I packed everything I own into the back of my E30, and headed across country. Never have I had issues with the car, and today I'm having issues with the transmission. On the freeway it SUDDENLY became difficult to get into gear, and now it won't drive in 1st, I can hear clanking, rattling, and the car goes to stall out. It's a 5speed. If there is anyone in the area, that is willing to help, please call me. 2077130270. I'm assuming it needs a tranny, G240, but I've never had tranny issues and dont know what to look for to diagnose. I don't have much, but I can pay someone a reasonable amount if someone is generous enough to help out. 400 miles from home, 600 from where I'm going. I have nowhere to go. All I have is a floor jack and bag of hand tools.

1986 325e - RIP
    1987 528e - Sold
    1989 325iX - Parted Out
    1991 318iS - Sold
    1991 325iS - Current

What about gears 2-5? Can you still get it into first or does it feel like it never "slots" in?

Any noticeable oil leaks? How does the clutch pedal feel?
    Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post
      What about gears 2-5? Can you still get it into first or does it feel like it never "slots" in?

Any noticeable oil leaks? How does the clutch pedal feel?
      Exactly! Won't "slot" in. 1,2,3 are hard. 4-5 are smooth

1986 325e - RIP
      1987 528e - Sold
      1989 325iX - Parted Out
      1991 318iS - Sold
      1991 325iS - Current

Comment

Originally posted by Colby.325e View Post
        Exactly! Won't "slot" in. 1,2,3 are hard. 4-5 are smooth
        You mention 1-3 are hard, does that mean it still slots in after some fiddling? If so, does the car move when it is in second? If so, you can get the car rolling/driving in second and then skip 3rd and shift into 4th and keep cruising in 5th.

Annoying but that would keep you moving.

Could be bent/loose shifter linkages.

If it goes into gear and doesn't move, then suspect a slipping clutch.
        Last edited by noid; 11-30-2014, 09:52 PM.
        Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

I've found 1-3 will work if I rev it up while forcing it into place. Sometimes it still won't slot in, and will grind. Only got uptown third on the lot. Will inspect linkage.

1986 325e - RIP
          1987 528e - Sold
          1989 325iX - Parted Out
          1991 318iS - Sold
          1991 325iS - Current

Comment

Tried reverse, got the violent shaking like 4th. Guess I'll sleep in the parking lot and get towed to guten tomorrow.

1986 325e - RIP
            1987 528e - Sold
            1989 325iX - Parted Out
            1991 318iS - Sold
            1991 325iS - Current

Comment

Tried reverse, got the violent shaking like 4th. Guess I'll sleep in the parking lot and get towed to guten tomorrow.
              Or maybe get towed tonight and sleep there so I can get a jump on it. I'm fucked until it's fixed.

1986 325e - RIP
              1987 528e - Sold
              1989 325iX - Parted Out
              1991 318iS - Sold
              1991 325iS - Current

Comment

It sounds like you might have some fried syncros. You should still be able to shift without em, so long as you are able to match revs perfectly between gears. Try double-clutching as well. Good luck dude. Sorry to hear about your troubles.
                sigpic
                1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
                I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

Comment

Updates? How did it go last night? Advice here seems solid, My thought was a spring came out of the clutch itself. Has happened to me before, though my other gears were operational.

Comment

Update:

Made it to MD. Limped it there. I put some tranny fluid in it, and could get into gear. The issue now is that ALONG with the difficulty to actually put it in gear, it's slipping so bad taking off in first with low revs is a shit show. Have to accelerate very slow. The clutch is brand new - less than 2k. I read the Bentley, and it mentions checking for a leaking deal letting fluid on the clutch disk. Any ideas what else may cause the slippage on a new clutch and make shifting difficult at the same time? Maybe that spring as mentioned? Something came loose? The problems were so sudden.

IFFF there is someone around - I'm in Lexington park.

1986 325e - RIP
                    1987 528e - Sold
                    1989 325iX - Parted Out
                    1991 318iS - Sold
                    1991 325iS - Current

Comment

You are going to need to take it out to really fix the problem. Any shops/people close that you can get to?

Comment

Possibly the throwout bearing?

Comment

I can pull it. I'll inspect it via the bentley. If I can't find te real issue, I'll throw a new on in. Found one nearby for $300.

1986 325e - RIP
                          1987 528e - Sold
                          1989 325iX - Parted Out
                          1991 318iS - Sold
                          1991 325iS - Current

Comment

I can pull it. I'll inspect it via the bentley. If I can't find te real issue, I'll throw a new on in. Found one nearby for $300.
                            I suspect that if you pull the transmission out you will discover the problem. It's not very complicated.

Comment

Are you sure the slave is moving properly? Will it go into gear ok with the engine not running?

Comment

Working...
                              X