Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any pre-purchase advice for a potential first-time E30 owner (325ix)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any pre-purchase advice for a potential first-time E30 owner (325ix)

Hi. I discovered r3vlimited after watching the "respect your elders" documentary last fall and figured this would be an excellent resource of wisdom as I prepare to purchase my first and hopefully awesome E30.

Let's assume I know the bare minimum about E30 maintenance but that I'm not necessarily fearful of learning. I've just long been a fan of these cars and am finally in a place to buy one.

Here's what I'm considering: For the photos I've seen, I have found a particularly clean looking 325ix and for what seems to be a fair price. The owner sounds like an enthusiast and has said the car is in great shape. I am going to check out the car this week in person and want to know what kind of things to be looking for and what questions I should be asking specifically for this model so I don't just buy a car that "looks good". Disclosure: I fall more on the purist side of the spectrum. I'm not looking to make it into any kind of track car or do crazy mods. Any work I would do would be in an effort to bring the car close to its original glory.

That said, is there anything that is big deal-breaker or walk-away type (aka really huge expense) of issue with the ix that I should know about?

Thanks in advance! I'm hopeful this goes well and I have my dream car soon.

Test the t-case by jacking up 1 front wheel and try and turn it, if the wheel doesn't spin than the t-case is still good(more than half the battle with an ix)

as for general e30 questions ask about when the last timing belt change was and look for rust in the rear quarter panels

Comment

nice! i have a soft spot in my heart for ix's. the T case is big as dirty mentioned. the front dif is a problem spot sometimes. they tend to be weak.

we have a subsection for ix's. i would read through 15 or 20 pages of it. also, when you have a question, most have already been answered there.

out of curriosity, what is the year and color combo of the car you have a bead on? i sold(traded actually) a silver/cardinal 91 manual coupe to a guy in l.a. a few years ago. i wonder if it could be the same car?
      sigpic
      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

For e30 maintenance in general, you def want to check when the timing belt was done as its supposed to be changed every 4 years/60k miles, and a water pump if it hasn't been replaced in the last timing belt interval. Other than that, lots of little things like the seats adjusting, all buttons working, blower motor works on all speeds, check that the trunk doesn't leak (though if it does it's not a hard fix). Check for rust at the bottom of the windshield, under the battery, and under the car.

And of course test the center transfer case as they can get way expensive

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Thanks for the pointers and the tip on the ix subsection, this totally helps!

Also @flyboyx - It's an 89 - red combo although your old silver one sounds like it would have been a great find.

Comment

Always a good idea to check the front cv boots, they tent to rip after old age
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

iX are awesome cars. I have a Zinno. As others have said, if there's ANY doubt about when the timing belt was last changed, assume you are going to change if you buy the car. Right away. This is true for any M20 car.

For most '80s BMW's I believe in the $2000 rule: No matter how nice the car is, you'll spend $2000 making it right. I think for an iX you need to be prepared for the $3000 rule given the increased complexity of the drive train and uniqueness of many parts.

Good luck!

Comment

Deal breakers would be rusted spring perches in rear and rusted front strut housings. Lots of Specific parts on an ix. Catalitic converter, control arms, brake booster, wheels all things that are $. Great car. Good luck. What state are you in? If in CT I can check it out for you. John

Comment

Super helpful. Thanks!
                  Last edited by Doggernaut; 02-16-2015, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Just a quick update - Car checked out and I made the purchase! Overall, seems mechanically sound and pretty clean - everything works, even the odometer.

Has some small/cosmetic work that will eventually get done like door dings, seat stitching coming loose and the turn signal lever doesn't reset after turning right. Then again, no one uses their turn signals in LA anyway so who cares, right?

Anyway, I love it and look forward to all the adventures!

Thanks again for the tips.

Comment

Here's hoping it's the start of something special!
                      1998 M3 - Sold
                      1991 318i - Sold
                      1998 323is - Daily
                      1986 325es - Project

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X