Should I Buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I Buy

Been looking for about a month, this is going to be a long term project, so the only thing I'm really worried about is the rust. Does this look worse than is worth the work? 1985 bmw 325e

Really need to see the underside to be able to say. The rust in the pic though is really very minimal... but there's always more than you think.

Comment

Thanks for the respone. He mentioned in an email it has some rust where the spair tire is, and starting to bubble around a rear wheel well. I wanted to repaint the car eventually, I just want to make sure it's something that isn't terminal.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
        Really need to see the underside to be able to say. The rust in the pic though is really very minimal... but there's always more than you think.
        +1

just because the seller says it's his "summer" car, doesn't mean it wasn't drivin in winter by it's PO's.

And yes, even my fresh lookin e30 doesn't show hardly any rust until you start opening things (doors, removing carpets, inspecting underneath etc.)
        If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

If I go and look at it, what are some signs it is beyond relative repair

Comment

If only you were closer yoy could buy one of mine.

Comment

I'll come get it! I'll send you a PM... oh, Texas is pretty far

Comment

quick observation, it is idleing way too high.

Comment

Originally posted by brads2002 View Post
                  quick observation, it is idleing way too high.

That much closer to the 4500 rpm redline!

Comment

Originally posted by SmallDave View Post
                    If I go and look at it, what are some signs it is beyond relative repair
                    Bring a good body man with you for the inspection (while it's on the hoist). He'll tell you what it's gonna cost to fix the rust and you can decide if you still want it.
                    If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

try looking for an is model

Comment

I would definitely prefer an is!

Comment

@Brads2002 - Hawk eyes! Nice.

OP -

Cons - there are a few strikes against it. Rust is the obvs one, cracked dash, seat fabric torn, it's an early model.

Pros - body seems good, even weather-strips from what can be seen, seats will look great with a good clean, and that tear is from failed stitching and can be repaired. Sport buckets are also nice. Nothing funky in the engine bay.

Final thoughts:

Those 2.7s are an excellent basis for a head-swap and 2.8L+ conversion, so depending what your plans are, it could work for you. My first e30 was an early model e and it was awesome around the city. Not so much fun winding out the engine on coastal roads. If early model styling doesn't bother you, and the rust story isn't terrifying, it looks like it could be a good buy. Gut feeling though, $2500 is a good price but not bargain of the century.

Comment

Look in the front wheel wells,where the strut tower meets the body on the firewall Front floorboards , rear floorboards. Near where the rear subframe bolts up. these are all pretty terminal areas.
                            1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
                            1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
                            1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
                            1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Working...
                            X