733i advice/faqs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

733i advice/faqs?

Can't find any specific e23 or sub forums with enough traffic. I never looked into these until maybe about a week ago when I started noticing even the manuals are rare but run much lower price than 3s 5s and 6s

At the worst I can swap the entire drive train and power plant into my 6er I think...

Any thoughts on this one? I'm checking it out tomorrow.

thanks

Well, like the E24, but unlike the E28, the hood opens the right way. Otherwise, the 23/4 are almost the same if you ignore the more doors for more whatever argument.

Comment

I had one for a period of time. These things share the same drivetrain with the 633/5 and the 535 of that vintage. Pretty comfortable to drive, but its a boat. Regardless of suspension mods, I doubt it will ever feel that nimble because of the size/weight.

I'd ask for receipts for the engine work as that looks rather stock minus the cone filter and you'd think if you were doing that much work to an engine you'd at least clean up the valve cover and the intake manifold. Doesn't matter what anyone says they did to a motor, unless there are receipts there's no way to tell whats been done.

Interior looks like its been kept decent, I don't really like the steering wheel, but to each their own I guess. For me it was a solid car, but anything of this age is going to have small annoying things go wrong, for me it was stupid electrical gremlins that eventually made me sell the car, not because they were labor intensive or expensive to fix, just because they were annoying and sometimes time wasters of sorts.

Curious sideskirts, never seen those before.

Comment

The HVAC system is unique and can be problematic compared to the 533i or 535i. Make sure it functions properly.
        Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Put it on a dyno.
          I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

I also have owned a few of these. I agree with both minder and bearbmw. They are great cars, kind of feel like a pig because they ate so heavy, and the HVAC system is a weak link. That car looks like a pretty nice example though.
            Discounts to all R3VLimited users on Amsoil products www.tampabaysynthetics.com

Comment

Thanks for the responses, now the conclusion I'm sure some would want to hear. I bought it.

Quick checklist

- Entire Gauge cluster [
              * Temp
              * Gears
              * Fuel
              - Interior
              * Wood trims
              * Lighter, ash tray(s), door handle(s).
              - Rust (within 5 years possibly.)
              * Rear Vent sills
              * front and left corner for fenders/door

Other than that it's so far so holding very well.
              Last edited by Myself; 03-14-2015, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Good to hear! Hope you end up keeping it as I certainly haven't seen an E23 on the road in years.

Comment

I've probably only seen one once or twice in my remembered life haha. Definitely not my first choice in car but something about it kept me interested at the back of my mind. The 6 is still my top pick

We'll see, hopefully it'll be a keeper. If it does, I'd have to blast the entire chassis at one point
                  Last edited by Myself; 03-14-2015, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Nice! Bold move, but I think that is a rad car.

Comment

Brilliant cars, I had an '84 728i. They're cruisers, designed to cruise the autobahns at 100mph plus, so probably suit the big open roads in the US. They're wafty on the suspension, but feel far more connected than big 80s Mercs.

Comment

Other than the color, my grandfather had one of these: L7. It is what made me love BMWs.
                        Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
                        Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
                        Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Quick update: Major peace of mind acquired. Contacted Metric Mechanic and was able to get invoice for the full motor. 3900hiflo build. 3826CC so effectively is a 3.8

spent 3 hours on the interior. Roughly 85% done, I need to somehow borrow/acquire some jet steamer to finish it up. Interior went from 6/10 to 8.5/10

Today will need to spend probably 3-5 hours detailing with claying probably being the biggest offender. All the rust chunks will be blasted off via pressure washer and will need to address them in a timely manner or anyone got ideas for rust spots? I'm hoping I don't have to tear it down and cut chunks of rust off for ATLEAST 10 years. I'll get some pictures of said rust if possible. Exterior looks 6/10 but appears to have all the clearcoat intact, estimating it'll end up at 8/10

@markseven LOL! made me think of that BOLD NEW CAMRY commercial. Bold Old 7, Bold choices lead to more bold decisions or something

@marshallnoise interesting, what made me love BMWs was the 6 shark lol now I have both. slim shark and a fat shark.

@Retroade yea definitely wants to keep revving and cruising at highspeeds effortlessly! Seemingly horrendous gas mileage, then again I'm coming from long history of owning Hondas that can go fast and save gas. My Lexus LS400 also gets more mpg but less fun lol

Comment

Originally posted by Myself View Post
                            Quick update: Major peace of mind acquired. Contacted Metric Mechanic and was able to get invoice for the full motor. 3900hiflo build. 3826CC so effectively is a 3.8
                            That is awesome.

Originally posted by Myself View Post
                            @markseven LOL! made me think of that BOLD NEW CAMRY commercial. Bold Old 7, Bold choices lead to more bold decisions or something
                            I haven't seen that commercial, but I guess that is the gist of my feelings on this. No risk, no reward. :)

Comment

It's got rust, it'll be ok for 10 years! I wish we had a Californian climate, see rust here and you're lucky if you get 10 months before Mr Grinder comes out to play.

I remember seeing a late 60's Mustang just after it came out of the container from SoCal, it looked like new. Amazing how well cars keep in that climate.

Comment

Working...
                              X