No announcement yet.

The Welding Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know this is the welding thread but I wanted to share my CNC Plasma built...totally required welding, ha!

I set out to get a small affordable CNC plasma cutting setup in my garage and designed/built most of it. The set up is based on the GoTorch Z-2 using a Hypertherm Poermax 45 torch and a custom water table I designed/built. The table has a water tray to minimize fumes/dust in my garage. I've had it running this weekend finally and I must say, it is awesome. I can make anything now! Here are a few shots of the build process:

Here is the GoTorch...awesome capability at the price:

Started by making a table top frame and building a water tray...the tray is just a 16ga open box using a brake to bend it up and I welded the corners closed. I put a water drain in the corner to allow water to be drained.

I then just build some legs out of angle...trying to keep the total weight down since it will hold about 20-25gal of water plus the plasma. It started coming together!

This was a pain...I hand-made (using a grinder) two fairly precise cross-bar supports. These two supports will hold the cross bars that hold the work pieces. You'll see below.

Supports tacked in and the cross bars are test-fit.

You'll notice the cross bars are bowed...this is to keep tension on them to keep the table and work piece as stable as possible during cutting.

Took it all back apart and got it powdercoated. Here is the final product!

I made the table larger that my cutter gantry so that I can expand the size a little bit in the future. Here's a shot of my first cut....so sick! LMK if anyone needs parts, I'd love to cut something for you!

Also a sweet little bottle opener I cut yesterday just messing around...welded it to an aircraft fitting I had laying around:

Thanks for reading!

Comment

Thats badass... Do you post to G code or does it all run through the software? Would be badass if it had some sort of MDI.

Comment

So.....Wanna cut me some parts!!
        sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

I was just thinking about having something cut!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

^thats awesome work there!
            sigpic
            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by 4x4_e30 View Post
              Thats badass... Do you post to G code or does it all run through the software? Would be badass if it had some sort of MDI.
              I get to skip the g-code part by using the PlasmaCAM software, DesignEdge. You can use anything however...I just chose that route. The software lets you work with anything pretty much. I can draw parts in SolidWorks and bring em over....scan in Jpegs, etc....way cool!

IronFreak...I totally can man, hit me up!

Eric...same goes as previously stated, let me know, I'd like to cut anything you might be looking for!

flyboyx, thanks dude!

Comment

Got my rig 99% setup

My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Well......color me jealous.^^^

I did some tigging on a buddies ratrod.....bad idea. All i want is a Model-A body now.

sigpic

Comment

did some more welding.

Rebellion Forge
                    sigpic

Comment

Some cool stuff in here. I wish my hf welder welded like this before I returned it.

Comment

Eric, you had a chance to weld up anything with the alphatig yet? Doing exhaust work with that muffler on the ground there?

Ironfreak, rat rods always look like so much fun, I can't blame ya!
                        ...what hasn’t been done to an m20 yet?

m20 Oil Stencil

Comment

Snagged some 2x2 1/8 and 3x3 3/16 from work today. At least 40' of each. Gonna build a new sofa table with steel legs/stringers and some reclaimed Douglas fir for the top/shelves my dad and I are picking up over the weekend.

Something along these lines, minus the "x" braces on the sides.

Gonna build one for me, one for the old man and one to sell!

I'll update when the wood is picked up.

I'm kinda excited to build them!

The last table my dad and I built we sold for $250 and split it 50/50. He built the top and I did the legs.

Comment

Funny you say about reclaimed Fir, I just remodeled the 2nd floor of my house and have a half dozen or so Fir 2x4's from the original construction of my house (1900 or so) that I'm using for a mixed material console table. Figured I'd document it here for you guys too. All MIG welded with a Millermatic 150, 2x3 1/8 wall tubing. Only ended up with 7" of waste out of a 24' stick!

And yours truly... Feels good to be behind the hood again!

-Todd

Current: 1991 Diamantschwarz Metallic 318is

Gone: 2004 Flame Red Neon SRT-4

Comment

^^^ not bad at all :up:

I ended my "apprenticeship" with the now confirmed narcissistic bipolar psychopath..... And out of it came quite an interesting turn of events ;)

I'm not sure how much info I can release, but I'll just put this as a teaser ;D

20151215_175316 by Los Pantelones!, on Flickr
                              sigpic

A man chooses, a slave obeys... Would you kindly?

Comment

Damn red lookin good!!!
                                Next time use a folding banquet table to weld on brother. Welding on your knees gets old......or I'm getting old!

Unloaded all my angle off the truck and stacked neatly in the garage.

Tomorrow I've got some EOD plates (edge of dock) to weld up. 101 total on the job. Rain in the forecast though.

I'll grab some pics if I remember.

Comment

Working...
                                X