E28 535i Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E28 535i Opinions

I'm looking to pick up a local cheap one, was painted just a few years ago (some non-oem green, I think it's British Racing). How are these tanks on fuel and reliablity? I just want it as a winter beater, and if it's nice enough to drive, DD instead of the E30. Thanks.

Keep it slideways!!

Originally posted by Axxe
    How are these tanks...
    From what Ive heard, I think you answered your own question. The M30 is about as bulletproof as you can get. As far as gas mileage youll probably be looking at teens for city, and mid 20s on the highway

www.rimstrader.com

all the parts you need to swap the M30 into your E30 here-> http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ght=m30+mounts

99 540i/66 911

Comment

Find a 528e.
      Trevor Ely
      '95 M Sport 540i - '00 A4 1.8TQMS - '85 190E 2.3-16
      '88 535is - '87 325e - '89 325is - '91 318is - '90 325is - '96 328is

Comment

Mid 20s? AHAHAHAHHA

My old 533 got 19mpg highway, good luck! Great cars, can sit for months and fire up on the first crank, run well and are a blast to drive [powerslide]

Originally posted by vlad
        Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

I got 23mpg in my 535iS if I drove 65 on the highway. Great cars, dead reliable and smooth torque. Pleanty of room for 4 and a huge trunk, good looking car and fun to drive.
          '88 M3.2 S54 Lachssilber/Black
          '07 335i Alpine/Black Sedan
          '12 X5 3.5i Alpine/Black
          iS Splitters For Sale, PM ME!
          sigpic

Comment

I always loved the look of the e28. Id deal with the slightly lower fuel economy for the great motor the 335 would have.
            Back to my roots

Comment

Originally posted by bmwm3n528
              Find a 528e.
              No thanks. I want a car that can tow it's own ass around town :D

Yeah, i'll get the 535i. $250 CAD, no exhaust, no wheels, but it runs well and was painted 3 years ago, so it's not a rust bucket on the surface.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

528e's aren't that bad, throw an 'i' cam in it. Weren't you looking for something that's good on gas?
                Trevor Ely
                '95 M Sport 540i - '00 A4 1.8TQMS - '85 190E 2.3-16
                '88 535is - '87 325e - '89 325is - '91 318is - '90 325is - '96 328is

Comment

Originally posted by bmwm3n528
                  528e's aren't that bad, throw an 'i' cam in it. Weren't you looking for something that's good on gas?
                  I'd prefer it, but then again, I've driven 325e's, and can't imagine that extra weight pulled by the same motor with a equally tall rear end. I can live with a bit more fuel consumption, my E30 isn't a sipper the way I drive it. Besides, I only put 5-8 thousand kms on in a winter, tops. Compared to 20 + in the summer.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

THey are really reliable, and they respond well to mods.:D

Comment

Looks like the 535i is going to my DD while I repair/rebuild my E30. Anyone know what kind of aftermarket exhausts I can put on? Or universal mufflers that don't look like ass? The car needs an exhaust manifolds back.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Why? It's all about grocery-getters that make children cry.

'88 325is
                        VP UT of Austin Autoholics
                        BMWCCA 380364

Comment

Originally posted by M3 Ryan
                          I got 23mpg in my 535iS if I drove 65 on the highway. Great cars, dead reliable and smooth torque. Pleanty of room for 4 and a huge trunk, good looking car and fun to drive.
                          I echo your comments.

I also had an 87' 535is with a JimC chip and it was a great car overall.

Basically a bigger E30 with RB steering rack.

Comment

I've had 2 e28 535's, 87 and 88 both autos. They are great cars, not quite as tossable as an e30 but still fun to drive. My only advice would be to avoid an auto.
                            - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

e28's are nice but I e34's are my fav 5's
                              ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

Working...
                              X