Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have experience on the Pelican Parts forums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have experience on the Pelican Parts forums?

Anyone ever do much posting over there? I registered for an account so I could ask some turbo questions in their 911/930 section (the 745i used the same k27 turbo as a lot of late 80s/90s Porsches). Everyone seems to be a pompous ass, wholly intent on giving you their own advice but never interested in actually answering a question (consider: this is coming from a r3v member who's been around since '05 and dished out his fair share of asshat advice and newb pwnage. I'm no spring chicken when it comes to this shit). But while r3v may be a bit hard on new guys who ask silly questions like "can I use night-shades paint on my windows??", they're properly dicks even on well written and well thought-out posts.. Don't like their unrequested advice regarding a question you didn't even ask? Too bad, they're not gonna give your actual question a second thought.

I love the friendly "tough love" that's on R3v, but these guys blew me away. Anyone else had a similar, or dissimilar, experience? Or is this just because they drive Porsches and therefor are better than everyone else?

Sounds like a fun time for a troll account, just ask one dumb question daily, just for misery.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
      I love the friendly "tough love" that's on R3v, but these guys blew me away. Anyone else had a similar, or dissimilar, experience? Or is this just because they drive Porsches and therefor are better than everyone else?
      A lot of guys buy a Porsche (or similar entry level exotic car) for reasons other than their enjoyment of the car. You should be mindful that the ability to amass enough wealth to afford such cars is much more prevalent in those more interested in helping themselves than others.

Personally, I wouldn't trade any of my cars for a Porsche (unless I could immediately resell it for a tidy profit and replace what was traded).

Comment

I bet Lorin went on there and told everyone to be a total dick to you.....
        1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
          I bet Lorin went on there and told everyone to be a total dick to you.....

Sshhhh, i told you not tell anyone.

The pelican forum definitely has a different vibe than r3v but my experience there also involves owning a 911. The turbo subforum is almost like a separate forum with some people never posting in other sections and i feel some elitism shown even to non-930 porsche owners.

Humor does not have same effect on pelican as other places (like r3v) and it comes across as a generally more mature group which it actually is. Not too many young folk there but there are some, and there are some very smart, talented people posting.

End result, i say keep trying to get the answers you need as i am sure the knowledge is there and just ignore the rest of the posts.

EDIT: Just read your post. I'm not surprised at the responses. I would suggest a little more humility since you are A) new and B) non porsche. I don't necessarily disagree with your posts and you defending your position but it probably won't help you get the answers you want.
          Last edited by LJ851; 03-27-2015, 10:58 AM.
          Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
          The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

I saw it as well. While I get where you are going, that kind of tone coming from a new non make member doesn't usually get very far. I see those kind of responses everywhere.
            Originally posted by Sonny
            I am a meme for our community.

Comment

I suddenly have the urge to join and ask for advice swapping a carb'd SBC into a 944.
              Instagram
              sigpic
              Current: 99 M3
              Past: 84 325e, 84 528e

Comment

Disclaimer: This particular k27 is off a 1982 BMW 745i. BMW made very few of these cars, and they were never officially imported to N America, so the

You sound a like a bit of a know-it-all to be honest. I don't see anyone being a dick to you.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJosh View Post
                  I saw it as well. While I get where you are going, that kind of tone coming from a new non make member doesn't usually get very far. I see those kind of responses everywhere.
                  Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                  http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-9...k27-turbo.html

You sound a like a bit of a know-it-all to be honest. I don't see anyone being a dick to you.
                  I guess I don't see it. I come in respectfully, show pictures of what's going on, explain the situation, and ask for help. What's wrong with that?

No I didn't want a bunch of "advice" from people just telling me to 'send it to a shop, there's nothing you can do'. That's clearly not what I was looking for and does nothing to answer my question. That kind of "advice" is so far off base it's essentially useless. What would r3v be like if every time someone here had a problem, we told them "just take it to the dealer, there's nothing you can do on your own and you'll fuck it up"??

Frankly I'm beginning to think I know more about this turbo than anyone on that site, as they all seem to just send it off to some shop and let someone else do all the work. They all claim they've never rebuilt a turbo, but somehow I'm the know-it-all for trying to do it myself?

Comment

Look man, I understand that you're just trying to put everything back together, but that's not really good enough. You NEED to core balance the entire core assembly. It is not good enough to just individually balance the parts, they need to be balanced toegether as an assembly and that's just not something you can DIY.

From what I can see, it looks like your thrust washer is installed upside down (orientation is matters). The coking on the upper side in your pictures looks like it should be pointing down toward the core. I wouldn't expect to see that on the side that was in contact with the thrust bearing.

The little plug with the two sealing rings on it should be poking through the seal plate and the CW should run up against it. I'm thinking you're missing a spacer that goes under the large mating ring. The smaller side of the mating ring should go through the splash guard, but not be compressed against the thrust bearing.

However, without seeing an OEM assembly print of this turbo I can't say for sure how it's supposed to be assembled.

Comment

You are correct. You did come in respectful in the original post. It's the posts after it that have the tone. I'd just ignore the suggestions of shipping it off and focus at the topic at hand. Other wise it ends up into a spiral of bickering, like you are experiencing. I'd also agree with the feeling that they don't know what they are doing and prefer to pay over learn, which is okay, just no productive when it comes to your topic. Those folks should have just stayed out of it.

Comment

They sound like a bunch of tools that don't actually work on their cars and just fork over the money to have someone else fix it. All the knowledge they have is from what they've read on the internet or heard from others.

Comment

AKA Joshdub?

Sounds like they are coming around. You presented the topic well. Keep at it.

Originally posted by DrJosh View Post
                          You are correct. You did come in respectful in the original post. It's the posts after it that have the tone. I'd just ignore the suggestions of shipping it off and focus at the topic at hand. Other wise it ends up into a spiral of bickering, like you are experiencing. I'd also agree with the feeling that they don't know what they are doing and prefer to pay over learn, which is okay, just no productive when it comes to your topic. Those folks should have just stayed out of it.
                          Last edited by brads2002; 03-27-2015, 05:32 PM.

Comment

What? I'm not sure why you quoted me, nor am I involved in the thread over on pelicanparts.

Comment

Sorry didn't mean to sidetrack. Just wondering if you were Joshdub on Xoutpost.

Comment

Working...
                              X