how could speed limits be reformed?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ST1G
    replied
    Originally posted by slammin.e28
    Also, STRICT enforcement of left lane passing rules.

    Idaho doesn't have a passing on the right, no driving on the left law. Although we should, dumbness hang out in the left lane all the time.

    Leave a comment:


  • e30onBBSs
    replied
    Originally posted by NeverEnough02
    Reform speed to increase revenue. I hate the concept. Police were not created to create revenue. Try driving a car down the road from the 50s at 65mph. Not the safest feeling as cars have become much safer at faster speeds. The speed limit should have adjusted up with the industry.

    Yea so how would you implement more speed? To play devils adcovate; more capable cars also means that when people crash them it will be at higher speeds probably, it's still deadly at high speeds. If the speed limit was 90, no doubt would fatalities increase as well. Polices job is to "protect and serve" and for sure the government makes $ off speeders but the streets are safer (more protected) when those people get a hefty fine or lose their license.

    Somewhere in there is a middle ground of capable cars and drivers that shouldn't be held back

    Leave a comment:


  • NeverEnough02
    replied
    Reform speed to increase revenue. I hate the concept. Police were not created to create revenue. Try driving a car down the road from the 50s at 65mph. Not the safest feeling as cars have become much safer at faster speeds. The speed limit should have adjusted up with the industry.

    Leave a comment:


  • The München Monster
    replied
    Just speed anyways. At least you dont live in a place where the common speed limit is 50 KPH, which is like, what, 25 MPH? Highways are 100 kph aka 60 mph

    Leave a comment:


  • UlrichFennec
    replied
    I was just gonna say different speed limits for different lanes.

    Lets say we're on a four lane highway. Fastest lane is 85-90mph Speed Limit. Slowest is 55-60. The other two could be deliberated between 65-80.

    Leave a comment:


  • e30onBBSs
    replied
    I think the hp/weight ratio is an amazing idea. Too many stories of wealthy parents getting their kid some mustang or m3 or something and ending up dead a month later. Would a law/ license for that be a realistic possibility? I would love to have to prove my abilities for my own sake and for the status of having like the "black belt" of driving

    Leave a comment:


  • rturbo 930
    replied
    And it didn't even take me more than ten years!

    Edit: oooh, look at me now. I'm an E30 enthusiast.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ether-D
    replied
    Automated cars will really help with those types.

    Also, Rturbo 930, you gotta post one more time!! You are at 999 post count!!

    Leave a comment:


  • rturbo 930
    replied
    Yeah, unfortunately I don't think those people are gonna get better with experience. I think they're just bad drivers. Our driver's education system needs a lot of work, too. I didn't drive much with my permit. I did the mandatory 6hrs with a driving instructor, and I practiced my parallel parking, aside from that I had no experience, and I passed first try.

    I'm actually looking forward to the automated car...

    Leave a comment:


  • Ether-D
    replied
    Originally posted by rturbo 930
    But it's the left lane. It's really not rocket science.
    Right? The left lane restriction is really just one of the restrictions I'd put on inexperienced drivers. I'd restrict passengers, speed, hp to weight ratio, and implement severe penalties for impaired driving, etc…

    It's really just oblivious drivers vs attentive drivers. Most of the people sitting in the left lane are just oblivious to the other people on the road. I sometimes feel like they are sitting there to stop me from going the speed that I want to go, but 99% of the time, it's oblivion.

    Leave a comment:


  • rturbo 930
    replied
    Originally posted by Vivek
    Ehh, I'll be 19 next month, driving (legally) since I was 15 and I'd go for the 10 year rule. Skill is important and won't take 10 years to learn. But 10 years of experience is valuable if you want this special license to really mean something it has to be difficult to get.
    We're talking about a license to use the left lane. If he were talking about a special license to use a car with over, say, 400hp, that would make sense. But it's the left lane. It's really not rocket science. And honestly, I think part of the problem is that no one is actually taught how to use the left lane. I wasn't. "The left lane is for passing" never came up in driver's ed.

    Leave a comment:


  • jalopi
    replied
    i remember how i used to drive when i was 17 - i'll agree that there probably needs to be something restricting men under the age of, say, 23-24ish from having fast cars and driving over the speed limit

    kind of like how in australia you can't buy a motorcycle with more than (i think) 20-ish horsepower until you get some experience under your belt

    Leave a comment:


  • Vivek
    replied
    Originally posted by rturbo 930
    TEN years?! You want me to stay out of the left lane until I'm 27? It doesn't take ten years to figure out how to use the left lane.
    Ehh, I'll be 19 next month, driving (legally) since I was 15 and I'd go for the 10 year rule. Skill is important and won't take 10 years to learn. But 10 years of experience is valuable if you want this special license to really mean something it has to be difficult to get.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ether-D
    replied
    Yep. (keep in mind, this is a fantasy world we are talking about)

    Leave a comment:


  • rturbo 930
    replied
    Originally posted by Ether-D
    This is exactly what I think should happen. I thought the same thing about different color license plates. Black plates could use any lane, green could use all but the far left lane and so on. And no black plates to anyone with under 10 years experience. Sorry youngins, you think you know it all, but you do not.
    TEN years?! You want me to stay out of the left lane until I'm 27? It doesn't take ten years to figure out how to use the left lane.

    Leave a comment:

Working...