No announcement yet.

Do you do your own maintenance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do what I can with the tools I have. Most basic maintenance like brakes, air/fuel filters, spark plugs/cap/rotor etc. I did replace the headgasket in my driveway, that was a PITA, but it got it back on the road. I don't do oil changes though, like others have said, it just gets old after a while. I will usually try to do anything once, and usually I make it work somehow.
    1992 325I Convertible
    sigpic

Comment

I use cost vs time/effort expended. If it is a job that is a ball buster, I will work OT to pay BMW tech friend to do it. Basic maint. I do myself. I am MUCH better at what I do than wrenching. ( and keep a fuck ton cleaner)

Comment

I do all the work myself on my cars with the exception of tire changes and alignments. I know that I could do the alignment myself but its so much easier and probably more accurate to bring it to a shop that has an alignment rack and can bang it out in 30 minutes.

Otherwise I have taken apart several e30s and put them back together, pretty much done everything you can do on an e30 as I've owned nearly a dozen of them over the last 14 years of my life.

My newer cars (e39 and e46) will make it into GutenParts if they need to be scanned and have codes read as I don't have the technology to do it. I have a pocket scanner, but that only gives you basic info rather than giving you realtime data. I did have them do some work to the e46 while it was in there for codes because it was January and I don't have a heated garage.

Comment

I mostly let trusty indy shop to do their magic, except bare minimum maintenance and replacing cosmetic stuff.

I freelance 20+ hours a week apart from full time gig, and I just don't have time to do it by myself.
          sigpic

Comment

I do everything, but I have a fully equipped shop at my disposal. Everything except an alignment machine, but that's not something I need done all the time.

I'm also cheap as fuck. I'm not paying anyone to so shit for me.

But I HATE doing tedious shit. Tires and shit....dirty work. I'd rather pay someone, but my inner, cheap self won't let me. I've better things to part with my money on, especially when I can do my own work better than anyone else.
            1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

The thing with me, while I enjoy driving my car, I enjoy working/tinkering on it even more. I'm a car enthusiast because I like working on stuff. I've noticed a lot of guys are only in it to own a cool looking car or only like driving them and have no interest in working on them.

I customize/modify pretty much everything I own.

Comment

I'm with hank hill on this one
                ain't no one touching my baby but me and the day it is in a shop is the day it died

Comment

do it myself, except jobs that take diagnostic tools which I don't own, and specialty things like tire mounting/alignment.

Comment

Working...
                  X