Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for those of you who have big $$$ in your e30.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neil1138 View Post
    Classic car insurance is excellent, but it is very limiting on what you can use the car for. From what I remember, you can only drive to car meets and that's it. Any other activity like grabbing groceries, driving to work, DD, etc, is frowned upon if caught.
    That's not entirely accurate. Grundy allows me to drive the car how I want, when I want.

You are allowed to go on casual drives so that leaves some room for interpretation. The main idea behind this type of insurance is that the e30 isn't your DD, and you drive another car most of the time.
    That's the very definition of classic/collector insurance. Because I have another car as my DD, I'm allowed to insure the garage kept E30 I drive occasionally this way.
    Originally posted by kronus
    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

If I had to guess I'm in my car probably 20-25k and I have yet to drive it or touch the interior. I will be getting it appraised and using collectors insurance. I'm not to worried about mileage as I'm expecting to only put around 1000 a year on it once I'm able to drive it. I'll admit it I built a garage queen that will spend more time on rollers then it will the ground but she'll look damn good doing it.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Just to chime in on this subject given I recently insured a 1988 911 Carrera with Farmers Insurance using their classic/antique car policy. It's a fairly simple & not very expensive process, where I provided MY value assessment of the vehicle to the insurance agent and a yearly estimate of mileage (with reason) which can be used via allotment for any time of driving I chose to do with the vehicle (no restriction for car shows only or Daily Driving).

I would NOT simply insurance the vehicle with regular full-coverage insurance as you will end up needing a lawyer and years of your life to recoup 1/2 of the value (even with receipts, etc). Those who have been successful at this are purely lucky or had outdated insurance policies which are no longer offered.

Comment

whats gay is when I checked into hagerty, I couldnt insure my cabrio since my daily was another e30...the requirement was a more modern car for dd.
          Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
          http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by ///M42 sport View Post
            whats gay is when I checked into hagerty, I couldnt insure my cabrio since my daily was another e30...the requirement was a more modern car for dd.
            Yep, 10 years or newer. So it is less likely to break down and force you to drive the classic.

Comment

Yep, 10 years or newer. So it is less likely to break down and force you to drive the classic.
              Any experience if your DD gets older than their required 10yr rule? my car is crossing that mark this year......

Comment

Originally posted by rcsoundn1 View Post
                Any experience if your DD gets older than their required 10yr rule? my car is crossing that mark this year......
                My DD crossed that mark. My policy renewed without them flagging it.
                -Nick
                sigpic
                1986 325es || 1998 M3 sedan || 2003 330ci

~Looking for a left side early tail light, or a set of early tails~

Comment

Haha that's funny, seeing as how often these new cars break down. That is gay thought, was looking into picking up an e24 for a DD :(

Comment

Originally posted by ///M42 sport View Post

Is that a Hagerty thing? Grundy didn't make that stipulation for me, and my daily is a MY 2002.

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                      Is that a Hagerty thing? Grundy didn't make that stipulation for me, and my daily is a MY 2002.
                      Yes.

I did not know Grundy lacked all of these stipulations. Honestly, seems like a much better bet compared to Hagerty.

Comment

In my case,, and i do not live in the states,, this was no problem at all

first with the S38B38,, 5 lug conversion etc and then with the V12
                        my insurance company have accepted most of all
                        Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO V12 M70B50 ///
                        ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507
                        E34 550 V12 JML

Finnish wisdom : If you want to Win,, hire a Finn

http://alpina.123.is/pictures/

Comment

I did not know Grundy lacked all of these stipulations. Honestly, seems like a much better bet compared to Hagerty.
                          In my case, Grundy came in at almost half of what Hagerty wanted for an annual premium. Even if they'd been the same price, after digging into the details I'm sure I'd have made the same choice.

Comment

OP here. Also another question for everyone who has collector car insurance, was the declared value close to what you guys have into it? I know it's almost impossible to get a declared value for exactly what you have into it, but I was just wondering how that played out.

Comment

As far as I'm aware you can set whatever value you want, and your premiums are then scaled accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                                Its easy to have $20-25k into a non m
                                yup.
                                past:
                                1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                                1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                                1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                                1985 323i baur
                                current:
                                1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Working...
                                X