No announcement yet.

Do we have an MTech 1 Thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's everyone doing with the window trimming. Mine are the silver ones which are faded out but I don't want to black them out. Not sure if I'm going to wrapped them like I did with the bumpers or if I should paint them with the new two stage chrome paint from Eastwood.
    sigpic
    323i MTEC1
    Z3 coupe
    E60 M5

Comment

Good question. Can they be polished? I have the same ones on my 87.

Mr. Wolfe
      sigpic

Comment

I tried with my dremel tool, but it look like it time consuming. I think I'm going to try the two stage paint.
        sigpic
        323i MTEC1
        Z3 coupe
        E60 M5

Comment

Mine are pitted.. ended up buying new. Really want a shadow line set too though, so I can have a Euro stock look with chrome bumpers and an mtech1 setup with painted bumpers. So I'll end up shadow lining the original set at some point

What can I say.. like both looks..
          I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
          DB vert plastic bumpers
          OEM Keys
          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
          91 ic Calypso 3.1
          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
          TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
          e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Yeah mine are not pitted at all. Just faded.
            sigpic
            323i MTEC1
            Z3 coupe
            E60 M5

Comment

The window trimmings can not be polished as they are,there is a hard clear anodized finish on them .You can strip the finish off with oven cleaner to get Down to the original soft aluminum surface ,then you can remove any dings or damage and polish to any gloss that you wish ,you would probably want to apply a clear finish so you do not have to continually polish them in terms of upkeep.

Comment

Yes- that explains why it look like I was burning paint off when buffing them At high speed.
                sigpic
                323i MTEC1
                Z3 coupe
                E60 M5

Comment

my kit...sourced from various places over the last few years. The front valance was in the worst shape:

I had purchased Lord Fusor Extreme Bumper Repair previously
                  http://www.lord.com/products-and-sol...dhesive-(fast) including a mesh fabric for reinforcement. The epoxy comes in a double tube which requires their special tool but I figured it was worth it given the amount of repair I had on the valance.

The right side was missing much of the 'ear' that runs up behind the bumper. I have a really beat up valance that I bought years ago for $25 and while the ear wasn't perfect, it was better than what I had. I cut off the the piece from the beat valance and grafted it on.

The large crack on the bottom of the valance patched up pretty well.

Doesn't look too bad mounted up

The rear valance had a few cracks that needed to be mended, but it was pretty light compared to the front.

The skirts were in pretty good shape, suffering from a little bit of twist but hopefully they'll mount up ok.

No turning back now...

Prepped and looking for a painter...

Everyone must have busy as hell or didn't want to touch a bunch of aging plastic. I called several shops and couldn't even get a call back. Reached out to a local shop known to be very good but also on the expensive side. I took the kit by his shop...said he didn't really do this type of work anymore and he didn't want to do the prep work. Said if I got it sanded or stripped, he'd paint it. He warned me not to take it to a typical bumper repair place for stripping, their strippers would be too harsh and would cause the plastic to become brittle (like it isn't already, right...this shit is nearly 30 years old). I didn't really trust anyone else with this stuff, I'd put too much time into it already...so I started sanding. No pictures of the process but it was painful. I worked on this stuff for 2 weeks in the evenings and weekends. The ribs on each of the pieces were the worst. I did find a nice little attachment for my dremel that got in the grooves but it still was a bitch and took forever.

Finally ready for paint.

And its back...paint match looks great under the shop lights, can't wait to see this all together.

Not perfect but looks pretty good mounted up.

waiting, waiting, waiting.

Prepping the rear valance.

Spoiler mounted and looking good...

Hope to have the rest of the kit mounted up soon as I finish my s50 swap.
                  sigpic
                  84 323i

Comment

Originally posted by dahows View Post
                    my kit...sourced from various places over the last few years. The front valance was in the worst shape:
                    Awesome job! I got my euro bumper last winter, the body kit from a guy in Dubling six months ago, and a bunch of misc assembly parts, including those tiny M-tech stickers. The front valance has some twisted sections. I hope you don't mind I reach out to you for some repair advice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mtech valance & spoiler.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	7188462
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6837.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	7188463

Comment

Dahows that is looking amazing! Can't wait to see it finished
                      Continuous For Sale Thread
                      323i s50

Comment

Awesome pictures guys. Let's try to keep this thread alive. I still don't have my car back from getting an m62 swap, but I can't wait to start working on the car again.

Mr. Wolfe
                        sigpic

Comment

Just got my steering wheel back and now I'm waiting on my refurbished SI board before I install everything back.
                          Last edited by Old city bimmer; 09-13-2016, 09:41 AM.
                          sigpic
                          323i MTEC1
                          Z3 coupe
                          E60 M5

Comment

What diameter is that wheel?

-E
                            -ALaS

Comment

It's a 370mm that I bought about year ago. Finally got it done by stitched on this forum
                              sigpic
                              323i MTEC1
                              Z3 coupe
                              E60 M5

Comment

FYI update on the Euro front valance part number 41 33 1 933 772

I called my buddy at BMW dealer who looked into the confusion regarding the right part number label on the wrong part. He couldn't answer as to why they were sending the NA version part with the euro sticker.

what he did tell me, is that 5 back order requests are in for the 772 and the part is NOT listed as NLA.

He went on to further elaborate, due to the low request at this point in time it is unlikely they will do a production run until the demand increased; if such were implimented, the cost of the part would be substantial due to the low quantity.

With that being said; I find it safe to assume that anyone who has ordered this will most likely not see it until their retirement if anything. :-)
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X