ODOMETER isnt working.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ODOMETER isnt working.

It just stopped one day. The trip meter dosen't work either. Don't worry. The chassis is shitty condition, and I'm not gonna try to sell it. It's going to be scrapped once I find a better chassis.

Could anyone be so kind enough as to explain to me where the odometer/trip meter is connected? Tranny? Back wheels? Tranny huh? And any solutions?
    My drinking team, has a racing problem.

Anyone have an aquarium? If you want fish, let me know.

Does the speedo still work? If so, it's probably not the speed sensor, which is hooked up to the back of the differential.

If only the trip and odo aren't working, check the SI board batteries. Remove the cluster and check the gears to see if they're missing teeth or are broken.

Check out the fix for a jumpy speedo and nonfunctional trip and odo.

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

check the fuse, and check if your back-up light works. Happened to me before. The wire for the back-up light got unhooked from the shift linkage and rubbed against the drive shaft which broke it. It shorted on the drive shaft and blew the fuse. The odometer and trip meter are wired with the same fuse. Could be this.
      E30 325i 1990 (Winter beater)
      E36 M3/4/5 1997 (Futur IP car?)
      BMW Club of Quebec

Comment

WOrd. Ill do this tonight.

Comment

Your speed sensor is probably fine. The plastic gears inside the cluster are prone to breaking, and thats probably what happened. I have like 5+ clusters, all with broken gears.

odometergears.com if you want to fix it, but I did that and it just broke again, not really worth the hassle (unless milage is THAT important to you, it isn't to me)

Comment

It's most likely the gears as stated before, I've gone through 3 of them.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

you replaced all of the gears and it broke again? I find that unlikely. I suspect you only replaced one and then another one of the old brittle ones fell apart.

Comment

Different speedometers.

RISING EDGE

Comment

how good are the BavAuto gears? I know some people don't like the gears from odometergears.com because they break after a few months or something.
                  My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
                  There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Well I guess it isn't important. Its just I used my odometer as a gas meter, since my actual gas meter isnt working. I just need to get one, or the other fixed.

Comment

BTW, there were two wires above my tranny. They entered my cabin through the rubber shifter boot. Does anyone know what this is? My drive shaft tore it appart. I fixed it today, when I removed my harmonic balancer.

Comment

Originally posted by ddongbap
                        BTW, there were two wires above my tranny. They entered my cabin through the rubber shifter boot. Does anyone know what this is? My drive shaft tore it appart. I fixed it today, when I removed my harmonic balancer.
                        Reverse light switch.

RISING EDGE

Comment

My odo (on the eta) stopped working at 212K and on the way to Bfest '06. Bullshit if you ask me. How does one solve this problem?

Mariano

2001 Titaniumsilber 540i Sport 6-Speed
                          1990 Diamantschwarz Alpha-N 2.5L ///M3
                          1986 Alpinweiss 325e M50B25 (R.I.P.)

-Talk to me when more sound comes from the induction than from the exhaust...

-Argentina........lo mas grande que hay.

Comment

yeah those are the reverse light wires. My bad I mixed up odometer and tachometer....nevermind what I said. It's probably the gears like they said.
                            E30 325i 1990 (Winter beater)
                            E36 M3/4/5 1997 (Futur IP car?)
                            BMW Club of Quebec

Comment

Originally posted by silverblades181
                              check the fuse, and check if your back-up light works. Happened to me before. The wire for the back-up light got unhooked from the shift linkage and rubbed against the drive shaft which broke it. It shorted on the drive shaft and blew the fuse. The odometer and trip meter are wired with the same fuse. Could be this.
                              This sounds intriguing. My odo and trip stopped working (though they'll work intermittently), but the speedo is fine. I tried taking out the cluster and all the gears look fine. If I turn one with my finger, they all move and the odo will move along with them. I think the problem is electrical, which is why it will work once in a while.

What fuse are you talking about? Can I access it through the fusebox?

Comment

Working...
                              X