Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tracking tech to aid against E30 being stolen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tracking tech to aid against E30 being stolen?

What tracking technology are you guys using to be able to track down your E30 (or other assets) if they are stolen?

Everything I seem to find has limitations.

Spot trace - $100/year service fee
    Tile - Have to depend on others to be around and have a Tile app + retile every 12 months.
    Using old GPS phone - need data plan which is $10/month (same price as SPOT/yr).

Any ideas?
    Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

I saw this tracking device named TrackR on facebook. The TrackR is about the size of a quarter and could be tracked using your phone. I think it was about 30 bucks for one. I'm tempted to get one and try it out for my E30.

thetrackr.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, thetrackr.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

Originally posted by RobDog View Post
      I saw this tracking device named TrackR on facebook. The TrackR is about the size of a quarter and could be tracked using your phone. I think it was about 30 bucks for one. I'm tempted to get one and try it out for my E30.

https://www.thetrackr.com/
      Just looked at that, its using bluetooth so it has a 100 ft range, and you'd need another person with the app to go within that to actually find your car... Looks fine/fun for lost keys/wallets and whatnot, but a car? Nah
      -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
      08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
      318iS, slow build/garage queen...
      '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
      Originally posted by roguetoaster
      Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Could install a killswitch so they cant drive it off at least. or lowjack but its expensive

Comment

Kill switch, alarm, clutch lock
          1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

If the thief really wants it, they will take it regardless of kill switch or alarm. They dont know what they dont know though, and a tracking device gives you the upper hand.
            Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

Why don't you use the motronic fuel cutoff code method?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
              88 325i Cabrio
              04 Neon SRT-4

Originally posted by MrBurgundy
              If R3v was a dude, it would pick up a tinder date naked, with a raging boner, drunk, in an e30 with a shitty interior, a missing sunroof panel, explaining how its a classic while staring at the tinder date's tits.

Comment

Fuel cutoff is beyond the scope of his question.

If the vehicle is to be stolen, flatbedding it is a great option. A "stinger" can easily conceal in the bed of a pick-up truck. Neither require turning over a motor.

For tracking, the best is LoJack. They have impressive recovery rates. LoJack is a part of the law enforcement world, too. Many cruisers, helicopters and undercovers have the tracking devices to locate stolens.
                ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Tile is cheap small and works pretty decent but battery life of 1 year sucks.
                  https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Working...
                  X