Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thoughts on rust

Hey folks,

Been looking for an e39 manual daily driver. Found this car in PA. Good maintenance history, mileage, and price, but has a couple rust spots. See attached. I would appreciate your thoughts on the severity of the rust. Don't have pictures of the underbody yet, but assuming this is the extent of it, should i pass on the car and keep looking?
    Attached Files

It's a PA car. If you can't inspect the car in person. Then pass on it.

1992 BMW 325iC
    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Depends how bad it is underneath the bubbling paint. Could be easy, maybe not. The rust around the lower two license plate mounts is slightly worrying. The upper ones look easy to fix. Can't see well enough to give an opinion on the rocker rust.

Is a manual E39 rare? If I lived in Texas, there's no way I'd even consider an east coast car. With shipping, and potential rust issues, etc. it just doesn't make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
        Is a manual E39 rare? If I lived in Texas, there's no way I'd even consider an east coast car. With shipping, and potential rust issues, etc. it just doesn't make sense.
        '84 318i - Lapisblau/Schwarz (in cryosleep)
        '06 330i - Titansilber/Schwarz

Comment

Thanks, guys. Car is 530i manual with fewer than 100k miles, one owner, dealer maintained, all records (low mile 530 manual pretty rare). Dealer has the car from local trade in. Discount shipping through dealer network. But, i agree, rust probably too big of a gamble.

Comment

Rust sucks. Chances are probably about 100% that there is boatloads more hidden in other places on the car.

The resale value of a rusty car in the south where there are bazillions of rust free cars to choose from would be almost zero.
            sigpic
            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Dude, you live in Houston, but a TX car! There are plenty around here. I bought a car from the NE, would not do it again without a VERY DETAILED inspection including carpet removal, looking in the trunk, in the washer vents, etc.. Took way to many man hours to fix it properly, would have been thousands of dollars to pay someone to do it.
              Last edited by mcm185; 08-02-2016, 05:50 AM. Reason: edit

Comment

E39s are FAR to cheap to buy a rusty one...

Comment

I might just move south one of these days.

Comment

Low miles doesn't mean shit if it's a rust bucket.

Comment

If finding a manual e39 is too difficult, why not find a clean, low mileage auto and just swap it?
                      My Feedback

Comment

since when do E39's Rust, I havent seen one yet

Id be running
                        Boris - 89 E30 325i
                        84- E30 323i

Comment

all cars rust eventually. as for east coast car being rusted not all are like that. all the cars I had when I lived up north never had rust. Obviously I kept them clean and washed off all the snow and debris after a winter storm. its all about the extra care given.
                          sigpic
                          323i MTEC1
                          Z3 coupe
                          E60 M5

Comment

Originally posted by Old city bimmer View Post
                            all cars rust eventually. as for east coast car being rusted not all are like that. all the cars I had when I lived up north never had rust. Obviously I kept them clean and washed off all the snow and debris after a winter storm. its all about the extra care given.
                            sounds like you will believe my sales pitch.....

I got this nice E30 with only 30K miles everything is perfect, don't worry I take care of my stuff no need for inspection or maintenance paperwork, I did it all and I do a good job..... haha:-?

Comment

Not to mention that thing will be HELL to do chassis work to. Every nut and bolt will be stuck like a mother.

If it's got paint bubbling....the paint was a protective layer....the chassis shit lacks that protection.
                              1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Working...
                              X