Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"The time has come", the Walrus said.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The time has come", the Walrus said.....

To get a daily driver. So, what should i go for?

Criteria
    93 and up
    Small, light, good gas milage
    cheap to own/buy-ish
    MUST HAVE GREAT A/C!!!!!!
    Needs to be very reliable.

Im looking at hatchbacks, like the golf etc. Anyone know much about A3 golf/GTI's.

Thanks
    Brian

Getting a MK3 GTI will just make you want to modify that one too, another money pit. Don't you think?

Try a Civic Si hatchback from like '93-95. Those are bulletproof, and there are probably tons of them in So Cal. Or any other Civic from '93 and up...

Can't think of any other cars that are as reliable...I was thinking Audi 90's and such, but probably not.
    Reminiscing...

Comment

ya early 90's civic hatch's are real cheap and very light with good gas milage. If you can find one that isn't riced out that would be great. A buddy of mine used to have one and love it because of the gas milage

Comment

I MAY mod the Golf but still i would never take money away from my e30 for it unless it was maintinence. Ill check the civic hatchback as much as it pains me.

Brian

Comment

Go for a 325e from 86-88. Forget about those shitty VW's.

325e's are:

1. They are cheap to buy in Socal. As little as 950.00 for the one I bought with 107k miles on it a few months ago.

2. They are super cheap to maintain and insure.

3. There are boatloads of them in Socal to chose from.

4. Great gas mileage. 20-30 mpg. And we all know how gas prices are creeping up here in Socal to more than 2.50 a gallon.

5. No real mods can be done to the car that are worthwhile besides a chip.

6. They are super safe and will last as long as 300-400k miles easy. No VW can fo that, in fact no car can do that besides a Diesel Benz.

7. E30. BMW. Enough said.

Comment

bmw e30 u are the man enough said. ur right!!! e30 is the way to go

Comment

Had a 95 Civic SI, heck of a fun car, reliable, good gas mileage, and since it is a hatchback, you can easily carry parts for the e30.
              Gary

Comment

Originally posted by bmw_e30
                Go for a 325e from 86-88. Forget about those shitty VW's.

325e's are:

1. They are cheap to buy in Socal. As little as 950.00 for the one I bought with 107k miles on it a few months ago.

2. They are super cheap to maintain and insure.

3. There are boatloads of them in Socal to chose from.

4. Great gas mileage. 20-30 mpg. And we all know how gas prices are creeping up here in Socal to more than 2.50 a gallon.

5. No real mods can be done to the car that are worthwhile besides a chip.

6. They are super safe and will last as long as 300-400k miles easy. No VW can fo that, in fact no car can do that besides a Diesel Benz.

7. E30. BMW. Enough said.
                This would be the ideal route to take.

You take back that "no real worthwhile mods" crack, you bastard... :D

Comment

325e HUH? Good idea, Ill check it out.

Brian

Edit: What kind of gas milage can i expect out of an eta?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian 89 325i
                    Edit: What kind of gas milage can i expect out of an eta?
                    I would get around 20-30 in town, close to 40 on the freeway.

Comment

shitty VW's? please :roll: ignorance is bliss for some I guess.

If you're looking for a golf, the MK3's began in 93 up to 99. The 2.0 will get you the best gas mileage while being reliable. It also doesnt' have a ton of power and you can't make them fast without alot of money (turbo or supercharger) so modding it really isn't going occupy your every thought ;)

The next step up is the VR6 (began in 95) doesnt' really fit your bill since it doesnt' get as good mileage (i can get 30mph freeway if i'm careful) and parts are more money.

If you want to go back a generation, the MKII GTi's from 90.0-92 have the 2.0 16v which is a really fun car but not necessarily cheap, reliable or great gas mileage... but a great hatchback to own.
                      Chris
                      90 Corrado/91 M3/01 M5

Comment

i'd take a VW over an eta or civic any day.

I'm not a snobby stuck up brand concious person. Hell Kia's are cheap, large warranty, and you could prolly buy a brand new one for a little more than a nice VW.
                        Below the radar...

Comment

geo prizm 8)

Comment

why do you need a DD?

Comment

Keep it in the family...

Comment

Working...
                              X