Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need your help, if you have an ohm meter and running e30 then you can help :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need your help, if you have an ohm meter and running e30 then you can help :)

Hi,

I need some data points from m10/40/20 cars so if you have one and can spare a few minutes let me know if you are willing to help.

If you have a multimeter and know how to use it, I just need an ohm reading from the factory temperature sender (the one for the cluster temp gauge, not for the dme / ecu) most likely it’s brown single pin.

What I am looking for specifically is the ohm reading when the cluster temp gauge needle is in the first 3 locations a) end of the blue area b) next Mark before it’s at the middle c) the 1/2 gauge mark.

If you have a good working / running or even just idling 318i 325 or 325i i would really love to have this information .

What you’ll need to do is pop the hood, let the car warm up to middle mark, disconnect the connector from the Brown temp sender and measure the resistance in ohms between its pin and ground . Do the same thing for the 3 positions (end of blue mark , next line over, and the 1/2 mark).

I recently spent some time reverse engineering e30 cluster (see technical section for my post there) on how to troubleshoot it’s common issues and one of the last things I need are these data points from stock (engine wise, not swapped) cars so I can figure out what calibration is needed for the temp gauge under different scenarios.

Thanks again if you are willing to help !
    Last edited by Jean; 09-26-2018, 04:07 PM.
    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Megasquirt supposedly offers a raw logging format (FRD) which, if it does what I'm hoping, should make it trivial to get this information - turn on logging and go for a drive. Not had much luck turning it on yet. Will keep trying and if it doesn't work will break out the multimeter.

Comment

Posting in case this is any use. TunerStudio thermistor calibration is currently set to use the following:
      Attached Files

Comment

Just realisdd the CLT and cluster sensors operate independently. MegaSquirt wouldn't have that info as it'd be handled solely by the gauge/cluster.

:stupidsign:

Comment

pretty sure I have this in a PDF somewhere. However, good luck finding it.. :(

But yeah, it's a different curve from the sensor that runs the engine.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
          X