New supra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
    I've heard a few mentionings from Toyota's insiders about fitting the 2JZ into the 4-cylinder version. I can't help but wonder HOW easy it would be to do? These mentionings make me wonder if Toyota intentionally designed several key mounting points to make swapping in a 2JZ SUPER EASY. That'd be one way to quickly sidestep emmisions standards and keep the enterprising enthusiast happy. Something like, "Oops, THAT mounting hole sure lined up by accident. whodathunk?!"

Then next week Toyota offers a new "Factory Built" 2JZ program through it's dealers.

As for the design...I like it, except for the side profile. The wheel base does not match AT ALL.
    I wondered the same thing about fitting a 2JZ, would be pretty cool if they did. I also wonder how easy it would be to swap in BMW's s55, though I doubt few will care to try.

The BMW engine and interior aside, Toyota really screwed up the exterior design. Even if a sports car isn't particularly fast or has the driveline from another manufacturer, people will still buy it as long as it looks cool. But this new Supra is freakin' weird looking, like a mashup between the e85 z4 coupe, the hideous new z4 roadster, the Toyota 86, and the r35 gtr. In my opinion, the facelift Lexus RC looks way better, so if I was a Toyota fanboi I'd be shopping one of those instead.
    My Feedback

Comment

Why does everyone fawn over a 2JZ? it's not like modern BMW turbo engines can't be tuned for significantly more power. hell, turbo S38s and S54s were making 1200hp decades ago (the S38 is a beast!). The 2JZ is a heavy boat anchor, no way they're going to stick that in a modern car. Modern turbo engines also have way broader, more useable power curves than a single turbo 2JZ that makes 900hp for about 300rpm...
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The front end of the new Supra is extremely over designed to me. It's pretty damn ugly.

Comment

Just gona plop this here, because relevant:

Have we mentioned that there’s a new Toyota Supra out on this site yet? I don’t think so, but I think maybe we should have some content about the car, right? With that in mind, I’d like to inform you that our crack Jalopnik team has assessed the new Supra and located every fake vent or air intake on the car. Here’s…

Supra is seeming more and more unfortunate with each twist and turn...

Edit, here's another shameless Jalopnik link detailing how similar the Supra really is to it's bimmer counter part:

I crawled under the Supra at the Detroit Auto Show to look at the car’s mechanicals. Here’s a look at how they compare to those of the BMW Z4 and BMW 3 Series.
          Last edited by zwill23; 01-16-2019, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Have you seen the Z4, or maybe the 7 series? All garbage, all the time.

Comment

Hey, the 2JZGTE weighs 600lbs. That's "only" 200lbs heavier than an M20.

Once you drop a turbo setup in an S54-powered car, you're adding another 70lbs or so to a 478lb engine (credit usautoparts.net although "First e28 M5" [Anri at Euro Classic Motors] on the M5 Board says the S54 is 522lbs). The S38b36 weighs 587lbs and the S38b38 weighs 602lbs, and that's NA, although there are ways to shave weight down by, "First e28 M5" claims, 100lbs.

And... let's be honest here- if you're running a big-single engine, you're not exactly going for the title of Mr. Backroad Agility.
              Last edited by SOneThreeCoupe; 01-16-2019, 11:51 AM.
              1990 325i/4/5, 1992 240SX, 1995 RRC, 1998 M3/4/5

Comment

the S38 is much larger (and older) than either the S54 or 2JZ, so yeah it's heavy - the point was it's not like the 2JZ is the only engine that could do ~1000hp back in the day.

But the B58 probably weighs half as much as a 2JZ while having about the same potential - and with a much better powerband, lower maintenance and better fuel efficiency.

I just don't see why anyone would want a 2JZ in a modern car, except for maybe dyno bragging rights and bench racing (which is all they were really good for anyway). Nobody with a 1200hp dyno queen is taking it to a racetrack, because that much power is just not useful.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by zwill23 View Post
                  Just gona plop this here, because relevant:

Have we mentioned that there’s a new Toyota Supra out on this site yet? I don’t think so, but I think maybe we should have some content about the car, right? With that in mind, I’d like to inform you that our crack Jalopnik team has assessed the new Supra and located every fake vent or air intake on the car. Here’s…

Supra is seeming more and more unfortunate with each twist and turn...

lol, this is great. I really wish they made the car more sleek and less wannabe.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    Why does everyone fawn over a 2JZ?
                    That's not my point though. Regardless of my opinion of the 2JZ, it would be neat if Toyota engineered the chassis to accept retrofitting the engine into the new car. Then the icing on the cake would be to separately offer an "offroad" only kit engine with maybe some updated tweaks (not hampered by smog standards).

No, it may not make sense from some perspectives, but it would appeal to a large number of enthusiasts while simultaneously avoiding emissions regulations.
                    Last edited by SkiFree; 01-16-2019, 03:33 PM.
                    ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
                      That's not my point though. Regardless of my opinion of the 2JZ, it would be neat if Toyota engineered the chassis to accept retrofitting the engine into the new car. Then the icing on the cake would be to offer desperately offer an "offroad" only kit engine with maybe some updated tweaks (not hampered by smog standards).

No, it may not make sense from some perspectives, but it would appeal to a large number of enthusiasts while simultaneously avoiding emissions regulations.
                      I think this is a great idea! If only car manufactures actually cared about the enthusiast community. I'd say that BMW did at some point, but now I don't get that same impression.

Comment

It would be neat-er if they engineered the chassis to accept an LS and tremec.

LS swap the world
                        Originally posted by Sonny
                        I am a meme for our community.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                          lol, this is great. I really wish they made the car more sleek and less wannabe.
                          With every post Jalopnik releases about the supra the taste in my mouth is growing more sour...

Comment

Originally posted by DrJosh View Post
                            It would be neat-er if they engineered the chassis to accept an LS and tremec.

LS swap the world
                            N54 your Plymouth. They are so hot right now.

Comment

Look at this thing. It's so ugly. The front end is an overly designed Miata. Look at the headlights with the little donkey dick at the middle. Look at the weird fuckin' nose.

I cannot believe after 20 years, this is the best they could come up with.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                                Look at this thing. It's so ugly. The front end is an overly designed Miata. Look at the headlights with the little donkey dick at the middle. Look at the weird fuckin' nose.

I cannot believe after 20 years, this is the best they could come up with.
                                But it's so current, how could it possibly be ugly? I mean, the focus groups composed of blind 10 year olds all loved it!

Comment

Working...
                                X