No announcement yet.

so.. insurance company wants to total my e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you like e30s a 335d is the next best thing in the e9x category imo. If you can find one that is missing a few emission parts, it'll run 200K+ miles and get 30-35mpg while having 340+hp/550ft/lb on tap at the wheels. All on stock turbos and T6 oil changes every 7-10K miles
    1991 318is
    2004 330ci
    2011 335d

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
      If you can’t be working on a car, a 328 is a better idea. Both the N54 and N55 are needy.
      Was this intended for me?

If so, I choose what things I am willing to work on my e30.
      Some projects are best left to pro's with a lift.

If I didn't have an e30, I wouldn't bother with BMW anymore.
      If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
        Was this intended for me?

If so, I choose what things I am willing to work on my e30.
        Some projects are best left to pro's with a lift.

If I didn't have an e30, I wouldn't bother with BMW anymore.
        No. That’s for the OP.
        2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
        2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
        1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
        1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
        - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
        1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
        1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
        Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

I bought my wife a 335d msport 2011 a few years back unfortunately almost everything was dealer related for maintenance. Was even a pain in the ass to put the "urea" fluid in the car.
          Last edited by e30RS; 04-01-2019, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
            If you can’t be working on a car, a 328 is a better idea. Both the N54 and N55 are needy.
            Yes! My 07 328 clocked 190k until some ass totaled it.
            I love my 11 335xi 6MT...but I miss the rwd amd fuel economy of the 328 car was rock solid save for oil pan and oil filter housing gaskets (common) also valve cover gasket went as well. But I replaced intake with 3stage from 330 and that made it fun (software flash and performance exhaust helped too)

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
              I also am having some fuel leakage issues.

One point is at the top of the fuel tank where the pump mounts. Ever since replacing the pump, nobody has been able to fix the leak. Going try one more shop. Second place is near the fuel filter. The hose in that area was super dry rotted and cracked when I replaced the filter 10 years ago. Guess it's about time it lets go. Gonna get the next shop to replace all hosing from tank to engine. Don't wanna risk all my hard work and $$ going up in smoke.

Let this thread be a reminder to all you kids out there, ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher in your old car(s) and keep it in the interior for easy/quick access!

This is all after I finally properly fixed all the engine oil leaks. I cannot imagine the headache and trouble that others deal with who do swaps etc.

I tell ya, it's just one thing after the other.
              e30s are plenty reliable once sorted though, and simple enough to work through (obscure electrical problems aside!). When I did my engine swap, I just worked my way through the whole driveline, suspension and brakes and fixed anything that needed doing - was very reliable for the next 7 years after that. On the engine, I just replaced the main gaskets that produce annoying leaks (sump, timing cover, new water pump, and valve cover) as it was easy while the engine was out.

With your fuel leak - was the o-ring on the fuel pump carrier replaced? That could leak fumes if it wasn't, or if there's actual fuel, check the return line as these can leak too. If the rubber parts have rotted they need replacement.
              My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Fuel line bursted couple nights ago. Please check your fuel hoses and be safe everyone!

* I was already going to replace it this weekend. I was waiting for parts coming in rapidly from Blunt and had fuel hoses and misc. Parts already in trunk. Idiocity of me didn't look closely and see that the hoses was very worn out and unsafe. I did it all right than and there at a random gas station.

I think what did them in was putting detergents in the gas tank and driving hard because of it. Right now there's 2 cans of Seafoam and I was driving spiritidly to kick out some carbon. The fuel lines must have picked up debris, carried into fuel filter, clogged it which lead to overpressuring hoses.

Fuel filter poured out dark black gas.
                Last edited by Sonny; 04-05-2019, 11:18 AM.

Comment

so... where are all the pics of this alleged disaster?
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  '90 325i sedan daily driven
                  '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
                    Sorry to hear about the car.

I have my e92 these days as a daily, with only 40.000 miles on the clock. I recently had an accident in it, so it's going in for repairs shortly so I'll be back daily driving the e30 for a few weeks. Glad I wasn't hit in the e30 though :)

I frequent e90post for e9x info, but it's not the same as here. Don't get me wrong, there are some helpful / knowledgeable members that will help you with troubleshooting problems with a bit of good humour just like here, but they tend to be in the minority - there's a ton of others who just love to post pictures about pretty minor cosmetic mods / argue about which is the best colour / interior combo, try to 'update' their cars to headlights that look like a G20 while bitching that BMWs aren't like they used to be in the e9x era, which is kinda comical coming from the e21 / e30 crowd! etc.

If you pick up a good low km 335i, shouldn't cause you much grief. Were you thinking an e9x or f3x?
                    all of this

I think a cheap beater 335i would be a fun project car, but hard pass on using it as a DD that you need to rely on. The N52 is the better choice for that.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by e30RS View Post
                      I bought my wife a 335d msport 2011 a few years back unfortunately almost everything was dealer related for maintenance. Was even a pain in the ass to put the "urea" fluid in the car.
                      Yeah...once deleted, 90% of those problems are gone.
                      1991 318is
                      2004 330ci
                      2011 335d

Comment

Working...
                      X