No announcement yet.

*PSA* Avoid Miller Performance*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd argue that the main issue here at this point (besides the fact that Miller is awful) is the age of the stock components. A MAF conversion essentially solves the issue of sketchy used AFMs, but at this point, I don't see why one would not go standalone (unless its required for a race series such as spec e30). I'll be assembling a M10 e30 at some point soon and will be using Megasquirt for this exact reason - I fought L-Jet for 2.5 years and have no intention of doing it again.
    IMG_0145 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Comment

It's 2020 and the customer service is still bad. I have a Miller PSIK (basically MAF + cold air intake) on my e30 and it works great. Really added a lot to the car. I just bought a Gen III Maf for my e28, and upon install the car now starts and immediately stalls. Ran fine before, no vacuum leaks, fuel delivery issues or anything. Been trying for a week via email and calls to get a hold of someone there and after 4 days I got an email response from Brody saying it may be a bad coincidence causing my issue, and he'd call me the next day. Nothing happened and it's 2 days later, and 2 phone calls back to them later.

I really wanted to try the powerfold for the M30 next, but honestly with no support I think I'm sadly done with Miller.

Comment

I've had mines for 3 yrs now,

Pro -
        Pose 2 be Plug n Play (the main reason i was interested)
        Car Idles a a lot better
        gas pedal responsiveness a lot got better
        did get couple hp from the Butt Dyno
        few modded maps for download on their site

Con-
        Install was tricky, was lucky to still have a mini Xp Laptop (and still worked, and usb working, and correct version of xp)
        basic on functionality (adjustments ex: rev limitter, af ratios, inputs/output monitoring )
        Getting Customer Service. or Custom Maps -
        Cost kinda high vs whats available on the Market

i have videos before and after the install
        [1991, E-30 325i, 5-Speed, M20, Brillantrot] [1998, B5 Passat 1.8t] [2007, R6 Yamaha] [2011, Tundra 5.7]

Comment

I never liked the MAF conversions. I even tried hacking one in to work properly some 12 or so years ago. The problem is the stock ECU uses an AFM transfer function that squares the values then uses the third as a power to create an air flow curve (exponential "hockey stick" graph). The AFM curves are not linear like a MAF or TPS (bottom left to top right linear graph) - I even tried looping in a 0-5v TPS in place of the AFM to simulate Alpha-N, and with the functions you could either get it to run right at WOT and suffer drive-ability OR it would fall on it's face at WOT, so I ditched that effort - specially seeing a lot of .xdf's are available publicly for TunerPro. The Miller stuff is no more complicated than a PROM emulator and their proprietary software to run it (TunerPro works on modern PC's). You can purchase a commercially available Ostrich emulator from Moates.net for $175 and have as much (or more) control of your ECU than the Miller stuff would allow.

If you are handy, MS kits are like $250 and you can put together in one evening - or just spend the ~$800 and get a fully built one. No reason to run gimmicks on mid-20th century computers to get them to do what you want.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
            If you are handy, MS kits are like $250 and you can put together in one evening - or just spend the ~$800 and get a fully built one. No reason to run gimmicks on mid-20th century computers to get them to do what you want.
            This. I had to learn this the expensive way. Save your money, get a proper setup or you'll regret it, especially with Miller's horrible customer service.

Comment

Working...
            X