Educate Me - Just Bought A 325iX...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Educate Me - Just Bought A 325iX...

I know nearly nothing about AWD BMWs and had never driven an AWD e30 until I drove this one last night, but it was in too good shape and the price was too good to pass up.

The guy selling it is a really nice guy, too.

I wrote him a check conditional on my girlfriend taking it to work and inspecting it today (she's a BMW tech). If she calls me tonight with good news, it's a deal...conditional on it passing smog tomorrow morning.

Anyways, here are the particulars:

1988 325iX
    Alpine White II
    2-Door
    5-Speed
    156,000 miles
    2nd Owner

It's in amazing condition. I'm really impressed.

One question I have is, did all iX's come with 15" baskets? I have seen 325ix people selling 14" baskets so I'm not sure. This one has 15" baskets. Also, the spare in the trunk of this one is a steelie.

Another question: What offset are the wheels?

Anything else I should know about owning an E30 iX? If all goes according to plan, the girlfriend will call me this evening after she does her inspection with one of the Master Techs, and tell me that it checks out OK.

I think the plan is for her to buy this one from me in a few months while I continue to look for a good condition '88-91 325is in Alpine White II. She is an AWD person (originally from Colorado), and has a heavily modded WRX, so she is really excited about an AWD e30.

Pics tomorrow if everything works as planned.

Oh, and as far as first mods...I think Euro Ellipsoids with HID and plastic bumpers are in order. MR.LENS foglight lenses, new non-iS front chin spoiler, and a good engine bay and undercarriage wash, as well as a little paintless dent removal.

Comment

Yes they all came with 15in baskets. Check the Transfer Case fluid they seem to all leak I check it every oil change. I believe they are Et 35 offset dont quote me on that. Check diff fluid once in awhile. Only problem people seem to have with them is the front driveshaft splines strip out because people drop the clutch. Dont drop the clutch! Enjoy it man they are great cars. I used to get flamed here by jordon and others and on E3S because they are a bit slower than there RWD counterparts and have 20ft lift kits! But more and more people have gotten them and flaming seems to have gone away. Looks like we have the exact same cars haha mines Ap II and an 88. I have the euro ellips in it aswell and other things.
      Last edited by Hawk; 11-10-2006, 08:56 AM.
      Summer '85 E24 635csi Winter '88 E30 325iX, I lose 25% of my hp before I even turn the key.

Comment

cool ben ....

post pics up..

Comment

wait, so your gf is a BMW Tech?
          does she have any friends?
          My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
          There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Move out of Daddy's house.
            Below the radar...

Comment

Wow that is awesome sounds like a great buy. Hawk already mentioned everything I can think of (that I have ever read) about the iX. They tend to be a bit more difficult to work on / find parts for because of the AWD, but since your girlfriend is a BMW tech you shouldn't have to worry about that too much. That rules that she works there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Carufel
                325iX
                2-Door
                5-Speed
                2-door/manual iX FTW !

good luck w/ inspection

-----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Sounds like an awesome car, you still have the eta listed in your sig?

The e30 commnity is silly like that (in response to people putting down other models), but etas still suck massive amounts in my opinion (I've owned one mmmkay.)

Originally posted by UNHCLL View Post

?
                  Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

ix wheels are ET41, but you can fit much more agressive on than that. the transfer case should not leak, if it does that is a serious problem and it should be fixed asap. the seals are cheap and fairly easy to replace yourself, although getting the transfer case out might not be that simple if you haven't done it a couple times.

the front splines can be a problem, but it's not from dropping the clutch either, automatics don't have a clutch and mine ate 4 driveshafts in 4 years. check the splines to see if they are properly lubricated, there is a specific type of lube that must be used or the splines will RUST which is what causes them to strip.

The biggest things you need to worry about is keeping lubrication the transfer case and differentials, keeping the CV boots fresh, and making sure your VC is functional. the simplest way to test your VC is to jack up the front of the car by the subframe with a good floor jack, start up the car, put it in gear and slowly let out the clutch. it should begin to move instantly once the clutch is engaged. if the car does not move and only the front wheels spin, or if it takes lots of rpms, then your VC is toast. they are about $800 new so it's important that you test it!
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

:lol

I'm going to take advice from you.

BTW, since he and I split the rent, doesn't he qualify as a roommate?

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Carufel View Post
                        :lol

I'm going to take advice from you.

BTW, since he and I split the rent, doesn't he qualify as a roommate?
                        Dad doesnt own his own home?

Ha, the plot thickens.
                        Below the radar...

Comment

Dad doesnt own his own home?

Ha, the plot thickens.
                          No, parents are divorced. Mom has an apartment about 3 miles away. Dad and I share rent on a townhouse. The townhouses in our complex sell for $625,000 - $675,000. He owned one until 2003, when he sold it to invest the money into his business.

I've got nothing at all to hide. Wanna ask any more questions? Hell, if any San Diego people want to come over and check the place out, you're more than welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Carufel View Post
                            No, parents are divorced. Mom has an apartment about 3 miles away. Dad and I share rent on a townhouse. The townhouses in our complex sell for $625,000 - $675,000. He owned one until 2003, when he sold it to invest the money into his business.

I've got nothing at all to hide. Wanna ask any more questions? Hell, if any San Diego people want to come over and check the place out, you're more than welcome.
                            Can I live in your backyard?

I'll pay rent also.
                            But I need a minimum of 2 garage spaces.

The front transfer case is a ticking time bomb.
                            The half shafts get fucked if you lower the car
                            They all came with 15" baskets
                            No, they wont fit on a non-iX
                            Yes, you can mount non-iX wheels on an iX... barely.
                            They are slow, and worthless unless you live someplace where it snows.
                            I'd never buy an e30 iX for a "rainy" climate.

If you got it for less than $5k, do yourself a favor and flip it.
                            Ebay that thing and say See-you-the-fuck later.

-Chris
                            Below the radar...

Comment

Congrats!

I still want a well-kept iX. :-(

Comment

Working...
                              X