Popped my e39 M5 cherry today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Popped my e39 M5 cherry today.

Yeah.... I was given an e39 M5 to do whatever I wanted to do with it for the afternoon.

All I have to say is holy fucking wow. I mean.... I drive a boosted e30... and my car at 7psi is fairly quick, I have no problem playing around with the big boys and all the popular go-fast $30k cars.... but to get in a car and be able to clearly tell how much better it is than my car is simply amazing.

And I realized all of that driving with the A/C on, a full on board computer telling me that might as well just yell at me how I managed to go sub-10mpg at one point in time, cruising listening to music in my own amazing world. And it's ridiculously scary. In the e30... I drive in the loud and proud way..... the tone of that exhaust playing the soundtrack of that unique boosted inline-6 that gives me a boner when I open up the throttle. People know you're coming.

With the e39 M5, it's so ridiculously smooth. The speedo numbers climb so fast if you're not careful, and all of that happens while I'm listening to jazz on the radio with the windows down just cruising in the highway. And completely unlike the turbo e30, where that surge of power comes in at 4,000rpms in it's full blast, the V8 pumps that torque in any gear, even at the lowest of RPMs, quickly bringing it to the revs to where raw horsepower does the talking.

Handling wise, the car does not act its size. It's as nimble as an e30. I mean, my car with GCs hugs the corner even with the garbage all season Nittos that I have stretched on my front 9" wheels. And that's great, but I have to constantly live with the reminder of all I had to sacrifice in ride comfort for me to gain that smile on the corner. The M5 takes it all so smoothly.... you're always under control, and if you push the throttle too much, the rear end comes out to play.

And I'm pretty sure it's cliche'd to say this, but you really have to drive one (and I mean put the pedal to the metal and have some twisties) to be able to really understand what this car is. It's simply amazing. I must own an M5 someday.

I'm amazed. I'm starting to think that one of my goals in life is to be able to own a brand new M5 and do the European Delivery on one.... riding to the Nurburgring and seeing how good does life really get.

Here's a camera phone pics that I took.

/review
    - Erick
    PS: Professional driver on closed course. Do not attempt. o.O
    Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
    EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
    FullOpp Stickers for sale!
    NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
    Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
    ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Well I just came, anyone else?
    Who doesn't love a little BBQ?
    Griot's Garage at a Deep Discount

Comment

My uncle has a 02 M5 in silver I know just how you feel right now.
      Originally posted by Fusion
      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
      William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by rwdrift View Post
        Yeah.... I was given an e39 M5 to do whatever I wanted to do with it for the afternoon.
        Ok, what the FUCK.

How exactly did you swing that one???

Comment

I've had that chance to beat on more than a few of those, probably my favorite real world car. Load it up with Dinan suspension and you've really got a fun toy.
          However, it's pretty amazing how fast some of the AMG Benz cars accelerate, those things make the M5 seem a little bit slow.
          sigpicFormer professional wrench thrower.
          Current:
          1988 325is S52
          Former:
          2008 Sparkling Graphite M3 Sedan(victim of home ownership)
          1988 M5
          1996 328is

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson View Post
            Ok, what the FUCK.

How exactly did you swing that one???

A good friend had purchased a new pick up truck and gave me the keys to the M5 to drive back to his house ~50 miles out. As he handed me the keys he pointed out the "Sport" button and said to do whatever I wanted to do with it. And in his words "The car was built to be driven hard. It'll take the abuse"

Mind you, the car had 92,xxx on the odometer... and I know that what I've done in those 50 miles is barely anything to what he does to it.
            Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
            EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
            FullOpp Stickers for sale!
            NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
            Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
            ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

Originally posted by rwdrift View Post
              A good friend had purchased a new pick up truck and gave me the keys to the M5 to drive back to his house ~50 miles out. As he handed me the keys he pointed out the "Sport" button and said to do whatever I wanted to do with it. And in his words "The car was built to be driven hard. It'll take the abuse"

Mind you, the car had 92,xxx on the odometer... and I know that what I've done in those 50 miles is barely anything to what he does to it.
              Damn. And if I haven't told you this yet, you suck.

Sounds like you had a great time. The closest I've gotten to that is a friend of mine that used to own an Imola E46 M3 cabby took me out for a ride in it one day, and about 20 miles out of town, pulled over to the side of the road and said, "you wanna drive?".

:D

Comment

MAD jealous.

Comment

Sounds like a good time. Ill never forget the sound of a 360 modena i got to keep for 24 hours. My wife rented it for me on my 35 b-day. If i hit the lottery some day i will own a 430
                  I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

Im not apposed to wiping my ass with my jizz rag

Comment

Originally posted by magoo_lc1 View Post
                    Sounds like a good time. Ill never forget the sound of a 360 modena i got to keep for 24 hours. My wife rented it for me on my 35 b-day. If i hit the lottery some day i will own a 430
                    That sounds like some woman.

Comment

lucky ass bastard....

only time i touched a e39...is at my friends shop
                      and there was a dinan m5. drove it for like 10ft back and forth.
                      We were checkin out the scrapin sound from the brakes.
                      I was so tempted to take off with it. lol
                      -Frank
                      1987 325is m50nv (schwarz)
                      1990 325is (sterling silber)(sold)
                      2001 525i

Comment

Erick - congrats on your E39 M5 experience :)

It´s easy to fall in love with these cars, they are very practical.
                        It´s a full size sedan when you want it and it´s also a sports car
                        when you want it.

Now - just imagine if it had 200 more ponies and 200 Nm more torque
                        Thordur

1999 E39 M5 Twin Supercharged
                        1989 E30 M3 with S85

Comment

The e39 M5 is my favorite car. You are so lucky to have driven it like that. I only get to drive them about a 1/4 mile
                          Originally posted by cabriodster87
                          "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
                          Originally posted by Kershaw
                          i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

I've had a similar experience with a brand new E46 ///M3. In Germany, on the Autobahn. It was awesome. It was a friend's, and he said I could drive it for picking him up at the airport in the middle of the night. "Hey, you wanna drive the ///M3?" I've never had such a hard time keeping a straight face... "um, yeah, sure, that sounds okay..." All I had to do was find an unrestricted portion of the Autobahn. My goal was to break 150, I saw 163 (indicated) that day. Awesome.
                            p.s. 163 on a public road, legally. FTW.
                            Slicktop City!

Comment

Dont the e46 m3's have a 155 speed limiter, or is that only in the states?

Comment

Working...
                              X