Broken key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken key

i broke my 21 year old key saturday night. my car is still stuck at a buddies house with the sunroof open. thankfully mr deagle hooked me up with his wholesale account at BMW North Scottsdale and got me two brand spanking new keys for $19.76. so the car only has to be undriven for two-three days.

anyone else have any wierd experiences that just a tiny thing kept you from moving, or driving your car?

Umm...I have many keys. Never been a problem... I keep one set of keys in the ignition of my 2002 in storage... What if someone needs to move it And I live an hour drive away...
    :: PNW Crew ::
    '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

wholesale rocks yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Deagle View Post
        wholesale rocks yo!

Those bitches told you to answer the phone. lol

Comment

I once broke the only key to my e30 and it was not even registered. I luckly had enough of the key left to get a new one made.
          Originally posted by cabriodster87
          "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
          Originally posted by Kershaw
          i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike325 View Post
            I once broke the only key to my e30 and it was not even registered. I luckly had enough of the key left to get a new one made.
            Yeah, i was going to get a new one made at a locksmith, but after learning the price and delivery time of two new ones from BMW i just decided to get them there.

Comment

I had the tumbler go bad in my car that caused it to be parked for a couple weeks.
              sigpic

Comment

My door locks stopped working, so I can only make use of the ignition, glove box, and trunk. So now I just keep my valuables locked up in the trunk and leave my doors open wherever I go.
                Claus Luthe is my hero.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkWing6 View Post
                  I had the tumbler go bad in my car that caused it to be parked for a couple weeks.
                  damn, mine will only be there for a few days

Comment

My car was down for about a day and a half when I broke my ignition switch while attempting to remove and reinstall the plastic cover from the the steering collumn. (this is the actual plastic switch- not the lock cylinder) At the time I didn't know that it was a common part (found on MANY foreign cars) that I could pick up from any auto parts store for about $15.

In my frustration I knocked the switch off breaking the plastic tabs that hold it in place. I figured that I could stick it back in there without any problems.. or at least if it slipped loose, I could easily reach up in there and push it back into place. THEN when I was replacing the cover, I had trouble getting the top half back into place so I hit it really hard with my hand in order to pop it back into place. This caused the switch to shatter into a bunch of pieces that I thought I could just glue back together but there were a bunch of springs and metal contacts inside that needed to be repositioned. I could get the car to go to the "ON" position but there was "ding" sound from the gong and the car would not start.

The next day I searched high and low for an E30 that had an intact steering collumn or at least a switch that was still in one piece.. I guess most people busted the covers open with a hammer for easy access to the turn signal and wiper switches. Anyhow I looked online to see what the name of this part actually was which prompted me to ask at my local auto parts counter. They were like, "oh yeah.. we got it.. that will be $13.76" In the back of my mind I am thinking that this couldn't be right.. or they were talking ONE THOUSAND, three hundred dollars... So it was really my ignorance that kept me down.

I was only stuck for 36 hours but it felt like a couple of weeks.

Comment

thankfully mr deagle hooked me up with his wholesale account at BMW North Scottsdale and got me two brand spanking new keys for $19.76.
                      Are they lighted keys? I got my new ones (not lighted) for like $3.50 each.
                      '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

How do you guys break keys ??
                        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by euroshark View Post
                          Are they lighted keys? I got my new ones (not lighted) for like $3.50 each.
                          They is from the dealer, laser cut and all.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                            How do you guys break keys ??
                            by trying to pry things open or apart with them. i know, not very smart.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeE30325i View Post
                              by trying to pry things open or apart with them. i know, not very smart.
                              Yeah, I use my keys as tools also.. and I don't know why I am always compelled to use the most important keys (car and house) to do my prying tasks. I've never broken a key in this manner, however, I am also attentive to how hard I am turning it. So if a lock sticks or is tough, I am likely to jiggle the key a little bit instead of forcing it.

Comment

Working...
                              X