No announcement yet.

Broken key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is where my honda key comes in...key to by dads 91 Honda Civic...
    :: PNW Crew ::
    '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Originally posted by Jscotty View Post
      Yeah, I use my keys as tools also.. and I don't know why I am always compelled to use the most important keys (car and house) to do my prying tasks. I've never broken a key in this manner, however, I am also attentive to how hard I am turning it. So if a lock sticks or is tough, I am likely to jiggle the key a little bit instead of forcing it.
      ah i was prying like you would with a crowbar. and the 21 year old, brittle as all hell key, just let go. tried everything to get the key back together or working.

the only method i didnt try was putting the broken part into the lock and using the plastic part + small amount of key and turning it. but then i couldnt get the broken part back out.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkWing6 View Post
        I had the tumbler go bad in my car that caused it to be parked for a couple weeks.
        The tumbler on my E36 went out last week. I took the ignition switch out of the column and I can start my car with a screwdriver now. Ghetto, I know, but at least you still need the key in the ign to start the car because of EWS. I need to get to the dealer to order the new part...

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

I broke my only key off in the ignition. So the car drove, but I couldnt lock it.

Left it like that for about 6 months.

My starter went bad two days before Christmas in a parking garage by a mall. I didnt have anything to tap-start it so I waited until Christmas day to come back and do the job.

Comment

is it the tumbler thats broken when i can take the key in and out of my car while driving down the road?
            1989 Bronzit 325ia- Sold
            1986 Diamondschwarz Grey Market 325i Sport Mtech 1- Parted out
            1988 Delphin 327i- Sold
            1995 Cosmos M3- Current

Comment

Yeah, most likely.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Or the key is really worn down. My dad's Trooper key is worn down so that you can remove it while driving. I dont really understand how it still functions, but whatever.

Comment

i had a key brake while ryding my bike.. now i have a flip key... ;)

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                  @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                    How do you guys break keys ??
                    I tried to pry a relay out last week :D
                    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!

Comment

mine broke int he ignition of the 325ic... i could still start it though. Took a small drill bit to get it out.
                      Build Threads:
                      Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by smooth View Post
                        I tried to pry a relay out last week :D
                        I open beer with my keys:)

91-318i SOLD : (
                        91-318IS for sale
                        95-740i DD
                        84-Monte carlo SS Under construction
                        90-T-bird Supercoupe DD

Comment

Working...
                        X