Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strut tower cracks

Hey everyone,
    I was mounting my brake booster yesterday for my s50 project and I noticed a huge crack under the fuse box on my e30 m3. I have tried a search but found no results. I am told that this is a common problem on e30 m3s and it is a pretty straight forward fix. Does anybody know how I can fix this and how its done? Also I heard that you should weld in the cabrio reinforcements from the shock tower to the fender, does anybody have the part number for these cabrio reinforcements?

Thanks,
    Ryan
    1988 M3 (Diamondshwartz)
    2004 M3 (SilverGray)

Call Mario. This also used to be an issue in the Audi UrQ. What they do is there is a patch plate that reinforces the area and the crack is stop drilled and the plate gets welded over the area.

What's your mileage on that chassis? This would cause poor clutch disengagement, did you have this issue? There are no BMW specfic speed shops in RI are there? I know that Yarrow shop used to dabble in them but been awhile since I have had a VW or an Audi for that matter.

Comment

It's common in any E30 when they've been hit in the front.

A patch would be ok, the only real 'right way' to fix it would be to pull everything out and redo the inner fender sheet metal. Big $$.
      Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

I talked to mario about this and he said that it will need to be pulled on a frame machine and then welded back together. His shop is to busy to do the work right now but he is checking with another shop that he has used before to see if they have the time to do this. If anybody in new england knows of a shop that has done this type of repair before and can give me their phone number I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,
        Ryan
        1988 M3 (Diamondshwartz)
        2004 M3 (SilverGray)

Comment

E30 cabriolet braces

Part numbers I know of
          Top pieces # 41 14 1 943 223 left and 224 right
          Large angled piece #41 12 1 943 117 left and 118, right
          Small pieces are # 41 11 8 103 003, left and 004, right
          Vertical large pieces # 41 11 1 943 115, left and 116
          1988 Alpine white M3
          1985 Delphin gray 323i, "Junkyard Dog"

Comment

Talk to Matt McGinn at Sports Car Restoration just outside Hartford.

Check out his site and I think you'll see why I would reccomend him.

I grew up in Barrington but now live in Boston... what brings you to Westerly? URI???

Comment

Originally posted by winstontj View Post
              Talk to Matt McGinn at Sports Car Restoration just outside Hartford.

Check out his site and I think you'll see why I would reccomend him.

I grew up in Barrington but now live in Boston... what brings you to Westerly? URI???

Lived here all my life! Typical new englander, I'll never leave this place! and yes I went to school at URI too!

Thanks for the website
              1988 M3 (Diamondshwartz)
              2004 M3 (SilverGray)

Comment

Isn't that where Needle's car is?

Comment

Originally posted by e30ryan///m3 View Post
                  Lived here all my life!
                  Ah, so you must say Cumberland Farms like Cumb'lin Faahms. :p

Originally posted by whysimon
                  WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Cumby's

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                      Ah, so you must say Cumberland Farms like Cumb'lin Faahms. :p
                      Ahh the famous northern RI accent! Us southern rhode islanders aren't that bad although it is funny to hear from someone elses perspective! LOL!
                      1988 M3 (Diamondshwartz)
                      2004 M3 (SilverGray)

Comment

Hmm, there's a northern and southern RI? :???: I tend to think of it as the brief 57 minutes I spend on 95 between MA and CT. :giggle: J/k.

Yeah, I think everyone says Cumby's to avoid drawing attention to themselves.

Originally posted by whysimon
                        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Try Craaaanston or Waaawick. Yeah there's a big difference between the people from cumberland, cranston, warwick & the rest of the state.... we are a very diverse group in the smallest state...

Matt McGinn can either put BM or custom (hand made) cabrio braces in or do any number of things. Take a gander through the gallery and check out his hand worked flared pig cheeks on the 2002 hot rodded car.

Comment

I have family in Taunton

Comment

Look at post 8. Let me know your outcome, because I may do something similar.
                              91 m3

Comment

Working...
                              X