Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

200hp with intake, chip, exhaust??? Misguiding Magazine!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

200hp with intake, chip, exhaust??? Misguiding Magazine!

E30 325is
    I recently bought a 1987 BMW 325is in mint condition. I wouldn't mind getting over 200 ponies to the wheels. What do you think would be a good start? Bavarian Autosport computer chip, exhaust and intake. Lets hear what ya think!
    John Meagher
    via the Internet

The chip, intake and exhaust are the standard mods, John, and they'll put you over 200-hp. Bear in mind you'll want to have the rest of the engine is good tune as well--plugs, cap, rotor, valve adjustment and coolant service.
    wtf? yeah right..... this is from BMW tech letters, part of European Car magazine's site. This is just plain wrong. Chipped i's are only topping out at 175/6hp to the CRANK. Intake and Exhaust do barely anything......

Misguiding magazine......geez

hmmm, maybe he is thinking about the M52 engine. Maybe by exhuast he means a test pipe. Maybe by intake he means 6 throttle bodies. Maybe by chip he means custom programming.

Magazines are usually batting 50/50 most of the time when they review cars, I would expect a little better of the tech section though.

I hate that Bob Sikorsky in the newspaper, he knows jack about cars or physics.
    Im now E30less.
    sigpic

Comment

The amount of misinformation out there re: modding cars is sickening. Nowhere have I see worse cases of it in the import tuning scene. Vendors saying a performance cat-back is good for 10+hp or an intake that will get you 15+hp. What garbage.

It definately pays to do some research of your own versus buying into some critics jargon.

Jon
      Rides...
      1991 325i - sold :(
      2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

iI was looking at a BMW scene (a german BMW tuner mag)

There was a 89 325i, with Schrick camshafts and exhaust. The output was listed as 200hp, I was skeptical, however, then i remembered they had 9.7 CR pistons in europe.

Does this mean if i get good Schrick cams, 278 or even just 274 ..... and put in 85mm 9.7 CR pistons, i should probably make 200hp or more?

Comment

Go buy the EVO magazine from ?Last? month? Has a black/yellow porsche on the cover..

inside is a large dyno test article of MANY different E30 Variants, S52 Euro Swap(Gentleman from e3s, black with huge brakes and 6-speed), 2.7l strokers, turbo's blah blah blah.

They ask the owners to estimate their HP then they dyno the car.
          Its a good read.
          Below the radar...

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL
            Go buy the EVO magazine from ?Last? month? Has a black/yellow porsche on the cover..

inside is a large dyno test article of MANY different E30 Variants, S52 Euro Swap(Gentleman from e3s, black with huge brakes and 6-speed), 2.7l strokers, turbo's blah blah blah.

They ask the owners to estimate their HP then they dyno the car.
            Its a good read.
            you're the man, i'll go see if Borders or B & N still has it.

Also, a back issue of Performance BMW has the 6 fastest E30's in England about a year ago. Also, they have one with Randy, but i already know his car......

Comment

I bet he doesn't even know what a E30 is!!!!

Remember a few months ago, the BMW CCA mag Roundel did a story on Dinan upgrades to a E30, they went the same way, that the bored out manifold did 40hp! We all know that is a straight up LIE!

Comment

They just posted what Dinan told them. The numbers listed for the Dinan mods were identical to what was listed on thier site.

Its almost as disgusting as this E30 M3 touring hackery they got going now in roundel.
                Im now E30less.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Stewart
                  They just posted what Dinan told them. The numbers listed for the Dinan mods were identical to what was listed on thier site.

Its almost as disgusting as this E30 M3 touring hackery they got going now in roundel.
                  I think that is Terry Saythers touring, but I am not positive. I did like how they mentioned that the E30 M3 front swaybar is larger than the bar on 318/325 cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Mc
                    I think that is Terry Saythers touring, but I am not positive. I did like how they mentioned that the E30 M3 front swaybar is larger than the bar on 318/325 cars.
                    Thats the one. Heres a link to the M3 Touring Project. The site also has lots of cool articles in the article section.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Stewart

Yea, but that doesn't make a article, all they did was a advertisement for Dinan, I feel you need to actually TEST the parts to wright about them.

Don't get me started on that car, yea, it super cool! Then they have to talk about the low power S14 and how they are going to put a real engine in there a S50? Come on, why go threw all thew work of making a M3 touring to leave out one of the best parts?

Comment

Originally posted by TIATO
                        Originally posted by Stu Mc
                        Thats the one. Heres a link to the M3 Touring Project. The site also has lots of cool articles in the article section.

http://www.terrysaytherauto.com/yet_...roject_car.htm
                        yea i saw that Touring m3 in roundel this month... and i LOVED it except for one big problem (with me). Where the HELL is the m3 front bumper/valence, i like the bmp kit and all, but its supposed to be an m3! o well, haha, kinda off topic but i had been needing to get that out for a while.
                        98 M3/4/5

Comment

Working...
                        X