s50 in an ix????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

s50 in an ix????

so is there any possible way of getting an s50 into an ix? just curious... i mean im sure there would be some afro engineering involved...but just wondering about the possibilities. Or would it be better just to build the shit out of my M20?

Read up... http://www.e30tech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22168

Doesn't sound easy at all.
    :: PNW Crew ::
    '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

so boost maybe? lol

Comment

A nice low boost setup would be fun... and probably cost less.
        :: PNW Crew ::
        '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

wow, thats a lot of work! It makes the normal twin cam swap look like a piece of cake

Comment

not sure how well that drivetrain will handle much more than stockish power. id think it MIGHT be safe under 230hp.

Comment

There is one way to achieve an S50 swap into an ix: rip out the entire AWD running gear and live with RWD. A local guy did this to an '89 some time ago. I saw it up on a lift at a friends' shop when the project with about 80% complete.

If you want to retain AWD yet increase power, better think about the boost option. I'd go conservative if you do - I don't think the AWD system was engineered with big HP in mind.

Jon
              Rides...
              1991 325i - sold :(
              2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

so i have 193k on my engine right now. the head was rebuilt about 50k ago. What would be a safe way of getting boost on this car and maintaining a degree of reliability? And for the record, my front diff is out right now. I dropped a ring gear so i just took out the front drive shaft....so currently im RWD.

Comment

I went and looked at an ix with a blown engine. I figured I could just take take the M20 out of my parts car until I learned that its slightly different and won't fit. I image that the same would hold true for any other BMW engine that went into the car.

Comment

Originally posted by Jscotty View Post
                    I went and looked at an ix with a blown engine. I figured I could just take take the M20 out of my parts car until I learned that its slightly different and won't fit. I image that the same would hold true for any other BMW engine that went into the car.
                    How can an M20 not fit?
                    89 325is track project / 05 x5 / 99 M3
                    E30 stuff for sale | Parts I'm looking for

Comment

Originally posted by bmwpower View Post
                      How can an M20 not fit?
                      ix specific block, oil pan, dip stick and maybe some other shit.

What do you mean by the engine was blown? I don't even know what is specific about the block, so it might with the other ix specific parts.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoJ's View Post
                        ix specific block, oil pan, dip stick and maybe some other shit.

What do you mean by the engine was blown? I don't even know what is specific about the block, so it might with the other ix specific parts.
                        The block is different? Didn't know that.

I can see the oil pan being different for sure.
                        89 325is track project / 05 x5 / 99 M3
                        E30 stuff for sale | Parts I'm looking for

Comment

Originally posted by Quik325ix View Post
                          so i have 193k on my engine right now. the head was rebuilt about 50k ago. What would be a safe way of getting boost on this car and maintaining a degree of reliability? And for the record, my front diff is out right now. I dropped a ring gear so i just took out the front drive shaft....so currently im RWD.
                          safe way would be drop compression via thicker HG. if alot of the exhaust side parts are different i.e. motor mounts etc. you might have to have a exhaust manifold custom made. id consult the F.I. section on Bimmerforums, those guys know ALOT.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoJ's View Post
                            What do you mean by the engine was blown?
                            Technically it was not "blown". I tend to use the term loosely to describe an engine that has severe damage to the interworking components and is not functional as a result.

Comment

Why not save the headaches and just find a cheapo 325e or 325i to do the swap in?
                              '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

Working...
                              X