The worth of my 91 318i...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The worth of my 91 318i...

I hate to say it.... but it looks like I'll be upgrading from my E30 to an E39 shortly. I really want to keep this car but financially smarter to sell. I had originally gotten this car at a steal of a price, so had assumed maybe $3000 would be fare, but looking around, I'm thinking more like $5000 is more accurate.

Any thoughts on pricing/value?

1991 BMW E30 318i 4dr Sedan
    123,xxx original miles
    2nd owner
    Engine runs strong, no major problems in the last 24k miles
    AC blows cold
    Tinted windows, 15% all around - best of the best quality
    16" Rims with Toyo Proxes4 rubber
    Winter steelies w/ tires included
    Taurus side skirts
    Mtech II front valance being added before sale
    Debadged
    Interior in great condition

Alpina White/Tan cloth
    Full stereo (Deck w/ aux + 4 5.5" speakers around)

Car was in MINT condition, only 86,xxx miles when purchased from original owner. Always babied, kept indoors. I bent bumper/fender/valance in 12/05, but all has been replaced by me personally. Enthusiast owned, oil/filter changed every 3k miles. All services completed on time. There are a couple small dings and tree sap spots but that's it. Horn/outside temp doesnt work.

Here are pics of it as-is now, I'll be putting an Mtech II lip on the front to complete it before she's sold.

Anybody got ideas? I'm clueless now and glad I didnt have a friend take me up on 2700 tentative price :)

Pics:

Last edited by Spec; 09-05-2007, 04:36 PM.
    1991 BMW E30 318i sedan
    2005 Kawasaki 636cc ZX6-R

PNWRiders.com

tech II front lip? that doesnt really exist. M-Tech II front valance? Or do you mean the "is" lip?

I just passed on a 91 318i that had never been wrecked for 2500.
    sigpic

Comment

I'll be replacing the entire valance.

Mileage is a big thing to determine pricing on this car, I'm sure, since most are at least 185k+ by now...
      1991 BMW E30 318i sedan

PNWRiders.com

Comment

I can't see paying more than $3000 for any E30 unless it's incredibly clean and rare, has had a cool motor swap (M30, S50, even M50), or has kick ass wheels and a full Mtech I or II kit. I seriously can not tell you that your car would be worth $5000 because there isn't really anything that special about it. It's a run of the mill 4 door 318i, and even though it's clean (from the outside at least) it's probably not worth a penny over $3000.

That's just me though, I'm sure others will chime in.
        '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

I dont think its going to be worth that much, but its hard to tell without seeing it in person. interior shots would help.

The tarus skirts look bad to me, the bottom of the rear valance should be black, and the kidneys don't seem to line up right. There is not a lot of market for a 4dr 318i either. i don't think its going to be worth more than $3500.

Comment

Thanks for your opinions, keep em comin. Just trying to get a good worth.

After looking at Autotrader, I noticed other cars in similar condition to be selling from 5-8k. I would never try to sell this thing for 8, but 5... maybe if the market is right. The cars at 2.5-3.5k all had 190,000+ miles.
            1991 BMW E30 318i sedan

PNWRiders.com

Comment

And those cars arent even selling very fast if at all.

Needs some work in this area to bring a good number.
              Last edited by Van Westervelt; 09-05-2007, 03:21 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

I paid about $3,500 for one that looks in similar shape more or less in the exact color I wanted (red) with a sunroof (not sure if yours has one - it seems like it does not from these pictures) and 16'' wheels (which I removed pretty quickly after I got it - without better than stock suspension they are just too heavy, in my opinion) about 6 months ago - but I wanted the 4 door and I wanted the red... It has 20,000 more miles however.

With that in mind - I think that anywhere between $3,500 to $4K would probably be a good price to get for one - it seems to me that most enthusiasts want the 2 door which limits the market and the white color seems to be the 2nd most common that I have seen.

Also - the thing about autotrader etc... - these are the asking prices, not the prices that are actually moving the cars. FWIW - my car was advertised at $4,000 and as I said, was purchased for less.

Good luck with your sale.
                Past - 1991 318i, 1972 '02

Comment

Originally posted by Spec View Post
                  After looking at Autotrader, I noticed other cars in similar condition to be selling from 5-8k.
                  Are they selling for that, or is that just the asking price?

Comment

Those cars going at those prices are probably from dealers and they are not moving the cars at all. I paid 3500 for a 91 318is with 137k in absolutely immaculate condition, The body has a total of 4 dings and I bet that you couldnt find them all within 10 minutes of searching the car. lots of new parts, perfect regular maintenance, blah blah blah. Although I do think my car is worth more than what I paid.

How much money do you have into your car (purchase price plus mods)? That could be a reasonable starting point, considering you don't have much in the way of mods.

Comment

$2800 market isn't that big for a 4 door 318i. All other services completed, but are there maintenance records?
                      Continuous For Sale Thread
                      323i s50

Comment

There are a bunch of maintenance records from the original owner. I haven't had to do practically anything to it but change oil ever3k since I've bought it. It runs perfect. I have... maybe half of my own oil change records (any time I had it done somewhere) and the rest I did myself.

$5000 sounded too high to me, but like I said, I just saw numerous high asking prices and wondered if I was missing something. Only aftermarket I've done, besides replacing parts, has been the tint ($300), wheels ($900), and full stereo ($650).

And as for this pic, as I've mentioned, the front valance is being replaced, and I have the other headlight just need to get a ring to stick it in there (anyone have an extra?) :

Maybe I'll take some pics of the interior this weekend.
                        1991 BMW E30 318i sedan

PNWRiders.com

Comment

Another question...

Do you think it would increase the sale price substantially if I had Maaco spray it over before it was sold? It'd have to increase the value by quite a bit after valance installed.... which I didn't think would happen.
                          1991 BMW E30 318i sedan

PNWRiders.com

Comment

I wouldn't spend more on crappy paint job to sell the car...imho. what if it turns out worse than it is now ? (are you willing to spend hours to get the car prepped for maaco paint?).
                            Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

/\ no. Enough said, that's why I talked myself out of the Maaco job ni the first place.
                              1991 BMW E30 318i sedan

PNWRiders.com

Comment

Working...
                              X