Cam question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam question

So, I took my valve cover off today to check the cams. I'm still tryin to figure out why my engine doesn't like to run after the battery loses power. Long story short I was just checking to see if someone stuck cams in this and I didn't know it.

This is what I find

That was on the intake side, the exhaust side looks better, but upon a closer look you can see the same thing, just barely noticeable.

What happened? I know nothing of cams.
    Rollin' with a Geistkuchen

Almost looks like the casting mark.
    My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
    There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

looks fine to me. not sure what you are on about?
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        looks fine to me. not sure what you are on about?
        The gouges in it, is that just how they machine it to balance it?

Comment

Hmmmm.... I seen that on both cams when i was pulling the head of this M50TU parts motor I have. I though it was for a wrench to "fine tune" and rotate each cam for timing purposes.

Comment

is it just the flash or does that cam look really beat on....if you look at the peak on the right cam lobe it looks scratched up....did u feel the lobes at all?

Comment

Originally posted by abepark View Post
              is it just the flash or does that cam look really beat on....if you look at the peak on the right cam lobe it looks scratched up....did u feel the lobes at all?
              you guys have never seen inside a motor before have you?

those "gouges" are just machining marks. nothing to worry about there.

as far as the cam lobes, they are fine. they look like they're barely used at all in fact - what you're seeing is where the cam and lifter have broken in together, it smoothens out around where there is the most pressure. if it were worn it would look much different.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

OK, so look at the lobe on this cam, see where the lifter has worn a 3/32nd groove (shaped like a lifter) in the surface?

That is fucked. Yours looks fine.

Closing SOON!
                "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Ok cool thanks for the info.

I have never done any internal engine work before, so this sort of stuff is new to me.

Comment

Originally posted by equate975 View Post
                    Ok cool thanks for the info.

I have never done any internal engine work before, so this sort of stuff is new to me.
                    Well, the M20 is about as simple as it gets, plus damn near everything fits well only one way, so it is hard to fuck up.

Don't be fearing the ridicule of posting dumb questions of something you are actually doing instead of just talking about it (like most of the pussies on R3V) because lots of us will have your back, yO!

Luke

Closing SOON!
                    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Working...
                    X