Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question

Ok, havent been here long, nor do I own an e30 yet, but I have had this idea in my head for a little while now....

If I wanted to get an e30 and swap an s52 into it, but try and keep it OBDII as well as the EWS system...would it be possible? My thoughts were to basically find an e36 OBDII M3 that had been rear-ended and take everything I need (everything engine related, as well as the complete harness and all necessary modules to keep it OBDII as well as EWS compliant).

Basically the car would be an e36 M3 in an e30 skin. I fully understand this would be a ton of work, but I am not afraid of that and I have plenty of time and patience.

Anyone with any thoughts or experiences with what I'm thinking of?

Basically, that is what I plan on too.

Go find your shell!

Oh yeah, welcome to R3V.

Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Thanks, and fantastic. I mean, I honestly cant think of anything being a MAJOR problem in keeping it OBDII and "E36-skinned-like". Maybe the key ring on the steering column? Or could I be lucky and just switch the e30 one out with the e36?

Comment

Running OBDII is not big a deal and might be the preferred methed in the not too distant future .

But why would you want to keep the EWS ??
        You can still be OBDII and delete the EWS feature .

Keeping the EWS would require keeping and implementing the E36 ignition key and the ignition ring .
        (it escapes me right now what the ring is called)

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

I'd want to keep the EWS as my stock drive away protection. I'm not big into aftermarket alarms, but its really just for that fact of trying to keep it OEM+.

Comment

EWS Halo Teaguer.

and EWS is pretty useless, it can be disabled by cutting/grounding a single wire. Don't kid yourself about it being protection. If someone wants your car you won't even notice them taking it. You don't need a key, running engine, or even wheels & tires to steal the car.
            Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

Vapor Honing & E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
            https://mtechniqueabs.com/

Comment

not only that, but by the time they've broken in, the damage is already done.

I'm still pissed that some retard tried to break into my door with a screwdriver in the lock - it's never been the same since, and my locks were always perfect before..
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Jordan - I dont mean to call you out or call you a liar, but I would surely be impressed if you could foil an EWS II system with one simple grounded wire. Please PM me just how you think thats possible?

I'm not trying to steal any one's car, I just highly doubt that that is possible.

And I do understand that no matter how badass an alarm I have, someone could throw a rock through my window or get a tow truck and take the car.....but I just like to dream.

Comment

^ I believe you can break/bend a tab on the DME plug to basically bypass the EWS .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Originally posted by Teaguer View Post
                    ^ I believe you can break/bend a tab on the DME plug to basically bypass the EWS .
                    You can, I've done it. Well, it involves a little more than that, but yes.

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

Working...
                    X