Talk me into/out of buying this... *V8*

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • IceStationZebra
    replied
    That car sounds like it is calling you out.

    Leave a comment:


  • Garageaholic
    replied
    Originally posted by 808BMW
    How long would you be paying off this loan?

    I can definately think of a few cons:
    Auto
    Stock suspension
    Cracked dash (I don't like mats)
    Wheels aren't my style (I like the color black w/ polished lip, just not that design, something with a bit more dish)
    You have no clue about the swap and it's reliability
    Bronzit :P
    I agree.

    In addition, you're getting a mixed bag when buying a car that's been swapped bc you don't know the quality of what's been done. They may say it's been done professionally, but I would approach this situation with alot of reserved skepticism.

    Leave a comment:


  • dvs909
    replied
    Blunt beat me too it.
    ________
    Subaru Tecnica International
    Last edited by dvs909; 03-03-2011, 05:41 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Firestorm
    replied
    Originally posted by LEANE30
    the lexus engine - will probably need a lexus transmission and lexus sucks at making manual transmissions.
    Dellow Automotive bellhousing + supra 5 speed = manual 1uz.

    Leave a comment:


  • LEANE30
    replied
    one benefit of the student loan idea, often student loans can be had at very low interest rates and even defered, so you can maybe get a leg up on paying it off beofer you start getting hit with interest payments... but that's an "if" and "will you?,...really?"

    the lexus engine - will probably need a lexus transmission and lexus sucks at making manual transmissions...doesn't make much sense to me, but their closest attempt (in the states here) was the is300,... and that shifter was a piece of crap, you'd think a company owned by toyota could put out a decent manual, but whatever -> i'd do some HEAVY research in the toyota crowd, if you can find a coherent one, and check up to see if others have swapped this engine into other things and used some sort of toyota manual tranmission or something else.... worst case, you could always do a custom bellhousing adapter ...but that's probably not fea$ible if your planning on using student loans to make htis happen

    Leave a comment:


  • JamesE30
    replied
    I have to agree with you blunt,
    If I had the cash it would be another story, but I've been looking into it and the thought of owing someone thousands of dollars for the next year or more is starting to scare some sense into me...

    There is something else i have my eyes on though, something I can afford, so that ought to take my mind off this car.

    Thanks for the input guys.
    This one will have to wait.

    BRB in +1 year or so, to build V8.

    KTHNXBI

    Leave a comment:


  • blunttech
    replied
    i would never take a loan out to buy a 20 yo car and i sure as hell wouldnt take out a student loan. be patient, finish school, get a good job and build it when the times right. you cant have everything right now contrary to most peoples wishes

    Leave a comment:


  • Simon S
    replied
    at first, i was like 'fuck that'

    but considering your location..

    .. and that the car is like - 70% 'there', (per what you want)

    then i'm like, 85% supportive on your decision to purchase it.

    Leave a comment:


  • Shoomakan
    replied
    Look.. In buying ANY used car, you don't know what you're really getting yourself into, unless you buy it from a friend or family.

    The swap looks neat, but you can't really tell the specifics. The auto this is a slight turn off, but you can have all the fun in the world with it. Autos aren't bad on V8's, I've tried alot, you get endless love in any gear, so it's not as much an issue as you think.. But I'd do a conversion sometime soon.

    Another great fact is that someone on this forum has done it, and I'm sure he's willing to give you pointers and all the facts he has on this engine/tranny setup.

    I'd do it, but I WOULD definitely take an extra bit off that loan for a full checkup to facilitate any needed repairs.

    Again, I'd go for it.

    Leave a comment:


  • joshh
    replied
    Not a good idea to buy this with a student loan. You can't even get rid of them by filing bankruptcy.

    Leave a comment:


  • TwoJ's
    replied
    Don't do it. If you could afford to pay it off right away, then I'd say go for it, but I don't think you should take a loan out to do it.

    Leave a comment:


  • drifty340i
    replied
    Its the same engine as mine mate, well almost its the low comp version but they still make great power.
    Its not a cheap swap at all to do,if you can get it for a resonable price and you like it just buy it cause trust me it will cost you alot more to do the coversion yourself ALOT MORE.
    Manual conversion is easy,but im guessing its running the factory computer? if it is you will have to get a aftermarket computer to run it as a manual.there are ways around that but im pretty sure the tuners in Ausy havint figured it out yet like they have here

    Leave a comment:


  • gearheadE30
    replied
    Looks interesting, and probably is a blast, but it is an auto and it seems like there is a lot of stuff that needs to be changed for it to be a good car. From hat it sounds like, it will cost another $5k-$10k to get it where you want it. Some of that price will be offset by selling some of the parts off the car, but it is still a major proposition. drifty340i also has a 4-liter lexus V8, and his is hooked to a manual, so the swap is possible. I don't know how prices are over in Australia, but that car is prbably worth $6k-$8k over here, maybe a little more to the right buyer.

    Either way, good luck with it :)

    Leave a comment:


  • Firestorm
    replied
    That thing is still for sale?


    Build your own imo.

    If you didnt build it, don't cruise it :)

    Leave a comment:


  • Ray Smoodiver
    replied
    Horrid front wheel well placement
    Horrid wheels
    Horrid shifter

    Nice swap, but alot of it looks bodged

    Leave a comment:

Working...