Trick the check panel for brake light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trick the check panel for brake light?

My check panel says I have a brake light out. Which I have confirmed I do not. Is there a way I can trick the check panel into thinking they are all working? Well, they are all working but that's not the point. It gets annoying when I start driving and when I tap the brakes the Check light flashes on the dash. Thanks.

You eventually have to tap on the brakes. Just don't do it immediately.

Comment

I've had three E30 and they've all done this. It is annoying after a while.
      sigpic

Comment

Wanna fix that shit forever? READ and FOLLOW these instructions EXACTLY, and your issue will go away for years. Takes about 15 minutes total, if you have the stuff on hand.

Here is what to do first: Go buy a can of CRC "Electrical Contact Cleaner" and perhaps a couple of Q tips, and a nice new pencil eraser. Maybe have a bit of sctochbrite and some of the red shit you spray on your battery to prevent corrosion (I don't use that shit, BMW didn't) if you want to see if that stuff makes your connections stay good more than 15 years.

Now, Find the "rear lights check relay", it is a small black box, about 3" X 2" X 4" with a few wires coming off its ass end. It is under the same panel as the antenna and the amplifier, AKA left trunk liner. Unbolt it and BOTH taillights, unplug all 3 and place them on a workbench or something, or piss off Mom and use the kitchen table.

Now, take a close look at the connectors in the car. Spray them heavily with CRC. Use Qtips, scotchbrite, whatever the hell you ave to scrub the connections down in the plug...then spray again...get them all nice and shiny clean. I think I used a toothbrush on mine.

Cleaning the rear lights check relay is really simple, just scrub the contacts with a pencil eraser, then douche with CRC. They clean up aesily.

Now, on to your taillights. Take the backing off of the lense, and if you want to "never deal with this stupid check panel light again" (like me) pull the bulbs out one at a time, and scrub the holes with Scotchbrite and CRC, until the bastards look NEW. Make sure you clean the point where the ground is attached, too...that one plate grounds the whole plate, make it perfect.

Now, reassemble car, with or without new bulbs...clean the bulbs if you are reusing them, though. While reassembling, make sure you are using the correct bulbs (NOT 1157s). Check to make sure every single connection is nice and tight. You can use a metal pick tool (which every single person on this board should own) to pull the connections tighter...whatever...just make sure every single connection is tight.

Your "CHECK" light should light up every time you turn the key on. As soon as you step on the brakes, that CHECK light should turn off, unless there are other issues.

Now, go do a thorough job cleaning this crap and be happy!

Luke

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Seriously Luke, you are the MAN!! I'm going to give it a whirl.

Comment

Easy fix, has worked on 3 E30s for me, 100% flawless.

When I joined R3V, there was a bunch of discussion about needing to use certain types of light bulbs or that a bad brake light switch could cause this...both ideas fucking dumb, IMO.

Now I gotta convince the damn thing to behave when I go to sequential LED turnsignals.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Great pointer!!
              sigpic

"Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...Holy S**t!! What a Ride!!"

Comment

mine lights up when i turn the key on, then when i tap the brakes it goes off.
                mine is related to the cruise control circuit that i disconnected.
                brakes & cruise control were on the same circuit.
                hope that helps as well.

Comment

Originally posted by willybustaE30 View Post
                  That is how it is SUPPOSED to operate...the other guy was having a different issue, being that it would tell him he had a bulb out when he was driving, and all bulbs were good.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Umm folks ....this is what it is supposed to do! Start the car and the check panel brake red light is on and the dash "check" light is flashing - tap the brakes and it stops. That is how the car is designed to work. If you tap the brakes and it doesn't go away, THEN you have a problem (follow Luke's instructions above).
                    Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by willybustaE30 View Post
                      mine is related to the cruise control circuit that i disconnected.
                      brakes & cruise control were on the same circuit.
                      hope that helps as well.

Willybusta... please elaborate.
                      Recent Rebranding!!
                      Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
                      E30 SM62/S62
                      E30 M60 V8
                      E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
                      Instagram.com/garageaholic
                      Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

I'm going to build this just for Luke's e30:

My 98 Mitsubishi Eclipse LED taillight conversion with 7-segment sequential turn signals and sequential brake lights. All custom built.http://www.hidplanet.c...
                        Originally posted by Matt-B
                        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

those are sweet
                          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                          My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

The 3rd brake light has a small circuit board that often fails, even though all your brake lights will work, it will still light up the check panel if this circuit board goes out.

Had it happen on both my old 86 es and my current 88 ic

You can either replace the PC board, or you can just bypass it, but if you decide to bypass it, your check panel won't light up if the 3rd brake light goes out.
                            sigpic
                            1988 5 spd.Cabrio/Lachs Silber/Black Leather/123k/Dealer Serviced & Maintained by both PO's
                            Clarion DXZ785USB HU, BBS Wheels, Leather e-brake handle & e-brake boot, Mtech 1 Wheel, Maplight Mirror, Performance chip, Rear Headrests.
                            Previous E30: 1986 5 spd. 325es/Delphin Gray/Black Leather/191k

Comment

Great write up Luke - I'm going to have to look into this for my car. I had the same issue for a while and it started to bug the eff outta me. So I did what any sensible cheap bastard would do.....unplugged the check panel :nice:

What about the switch at the brake pedal? I always thought this could be a problem too.

Jon
                              Rides...
                              1991 325i - sold :(
                              2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

Working...
                              X