Salvage Title?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salvage Title?

I am looking at this 97 328iS White coupe 5spd, 125k. Its only 4000 and the only bad thing I can see is the salvage title. What does that do for insurance rates(I'm 17 and pay minimum cov on the e30) and the "safety"/cost of the car? Is it any worse than the average e30's "safety"/cost?

Originally posted by e30pwr View Post
    the only bad thing I can see is the salvage title. What does that do for insurance rates(I'm 17 and pay minimum cov on the e30) and the "safety"/cost of the car? Is it any worse than the average e30's "safety"/cost?
    It should have no bearing on insurance rates because (I don't know about your state, but in CT.) if you have a salvage title and you want to register the car, you need to go through a major State Inspection and have a 3 inch file of documents containing photos of before/during and after collision repairs, parts reciepts, and usually mechanics receipts to ensure a quality/ roadworthy repair.
    I've thrown out or parted out perfectly fine cars simply because of a "Salvage Title".

Run away as fast as you can!!!!!
    sigpic
    BMW Master Star Technician
    '72 02 Weber
    '75 Opel Ascona Weber S
    '82 e21Weber S
    '84 535iS
    '86 535i Uber Beater
    '89 325i(S) Need LSD.
    '89 325iCS
    15+ parts cars

Comment

Currently the car is registered so I would assume that it would mean it has passed all these inspections and is on a dealer lot......Would someone with carfax help me out?

Comment

I would stay away, you would want to know why it was totalled. You do not want a magled chasis or a flood car. 4k sounds a little high for a 97 salvage e36, but maybe thats just me.
        1987 325is - sold
        2001 330i - New DD

Comment

offer $1000.

4k for a salvaged non M e36 is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by jbag View Post
            It should have no bearing on insurance rates because (I don't know about your state, but in CT.) if you have a salvage title and you want to register the car, you need to go through a major State Inspection and have a 3 inch file of documents containing photos of before/during and after collision repairs, parts reciepts, and usually mechanics receipts to ensure a quality/ roadworthy repair.
            I've thrown out or parted out perfectly fine cars simply because of a "Salvage Title".

Run away as fast as you can!!!!!
            Hmmm...

Are you saying that in CT a previously salvage titled car that you buy needs to go through that BS?

If thats the case, run away from that state. The owner of a car that was totaled by the insurance company should have to go through that, after its reconstructed, to title it and register it.

I know for a fact that a car in MA that has a salvage title and was prior registered (since the title was issued) is no problem at the RMV. Normal paperwork is all thats required
            sigpic

Comment

My car has a salvage title, but I know exactly what happened, how it was repaired, and that there is no frame damage whatsoever. The only drawback is that I can't put comprehensive insurance on the car. Beyond that, I don't care, it's just a piece of paper.

Comment

Don't forget other things that can salvage a car. Smoke damage, flood, etc...
                '89 "is" = M technic II build mode.

sigpic

Comment

It depends on the insurance company that makes the "total Loss" decision but it can be anywhere from 40-60% of the vehicles value in repairs that totals it. That means even a $10,000 can be totaled for $4K in repairs. 4 grand doesnt get you alot in a modern body shop. A good scrape down the side that requires a fender, door and a side repaint can run upwards of $5000. I had the hood replaced, and paint blended on a Jetta that cost over 3K.

A salvage title isnt necessarily a bad thing. Just run a carfax first to find out what really happened. Could be major damage, could be a little parking lot paint trade that was quoted high. I have seen cars as old as 25 years totalled by windshield cracks.

Comment

$4k for an E36 with a salvage title? no way. you can get an E36 325i with a clean title for $3k all day long.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

you guys kill me.

A salvage title doesn't have to be a big deal. It certainly CAN be if you don't do your homework, but there's nothing wrong with many of the cars with salvage titles- they're just cars that have been wrecked and repaired. It's up to you to determine if they've been PROPERLY repaired- if you don't know how to do this- then don't buy a car with a salvage title.

In NC the main downside to the salvage title would be that the car would not be worth as much in the event it was totalled again, and that many people are afraid of cars with salvage titles, so their resale value is generally less than cars with clean title (when you go to sell the car).

It doesn't take much to total a $6-7k car, much less the average E30 worth $2-3k.

That said, see if you can find out when the car was salvaged- if it was a fairly new car when it happened, you can assume that it was wrecked or damaged pretty heavily and you might want to pass. If it was recent, then it might have been a relatively minor wreck. Again, just do your research, check the car over VERY thoroughly or better yet, have a competent shop or body shop check it over for you. Body shops will do a Pre-purchase inspection just like mechanical shops will- for a fee.

Comment

I worked with salvage cars a lot here in Houston last summer. You can find out the type of damage with carfax or whatever. I'd never wnat to have a slatwater flood car for anything other than parts. all that salt gets in everywhere. I hleped with a Z3 that was over the rockers in rainwater, locked the motor. All we needed to do besides RR'ing the engine was lifing the carpet and drying it out. Not a big deal.

It all depends on the state you get the car in. If it's unrepaierd, you can see the problems. Repaired, you either trust the shop or you have to pull it apart to make sure they didn't just thorw 5 lbs of bondo over that quarter panel or that the strust odn't quite line up right, etc.
                        '89 325i track sloot
                        '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

Originally posted by Rigmaster View Post
                          you guys kill me.

A salvage title doesn't have to be a big deal. It certainly CAN be if you don't do your homework, but there's nothing wrong with many of the cars with salvage titles- they're just cars that have been wrecked and repaired. It's up to you to determine if they've been PROPERLY repaired- if you don't know how to do this- then don't buy a car with a salvage title.

In NC the main downside to the salvage title would be that the car would not be worth as much in the event it was totalled again, and that many people are afraid of cars with salvage titles, so their resale value is generally less than cars with clean title (when you go to sell the car).

It doesn't take much to total a $6-7k car, much less the average E30 worth $2-3k.

That said, see if you can find out when the car was salvaged- if it was a fairly new car when it happened, you can assume that it was wrecked or damaged pretty heavily and you might want to pass. If it was recent, then it might have been a relatively minor wreck. Again, just do your research, check the car over VERY thoroughly or better yet, have a competent shop or body shop check it over for you. Body shops will do a Pre-purchase inspection just like mechanical shops will- for a fee.
                          yeah what he said.

fyi most insurance companies will total if the cost to repair is 50% or more of the car's value. So on an e30 somebody could steal your radio and total the damn car.
                          1987 325is - sold
                          2001 330i - New DD

Comment

i bought a 325ix with a salvage title. it was salvage cause the car was stolen and the motor was windowed during the theft. actually my wifes car has a salvage title. why? because it was broke into, the drivers side window was smashed out to take the stereo out of it.

as with anyone else on here i wouldn't pay 4000 for a 328 with a non-clear title that has been in a accident. id pay 3000, get it home, and part it out though!

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to call today and see if they have records of the repair and find out why it was totaled. I need a car other than the e30 to get me through college in FLA. I understand that if it was a sketch repair then it wont last much at all. I'm still looking for a legit e36 to have as a DD with the e30 as a play car if this one doesn't work out.

Comment

Working...
                              X