X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mechanical vs electrical oil gauges

mechanical vs electrical oil gauges
    which ones work better?.

I've always been proud of being a Marine.
    I won't hesitate to defend the Corps
    "Supersquad"

‎"Prostitutes are a sub-category of Amusement Parks"-

Just run an oil feed to a mechanical guage like MB did/does.

Honestly I dont know that there is much difference between the two.

Comment

dude can you show me a picture of (location where Oil feed Starts) it I am trying to put a Mechanical Oil gauge in the IX

"Supersquad"

Comment

Might be able to if we have a MB at work tomorrow. Seems like all of the old ones need cluster work when they come in.

Comment

my electric one seems to work just fine I think most issues people have are from bad grounding. a mechanical gauge just sounds like another leak waiting to happen, plus the electric one is really easy to hook up.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

^ agreed. I'd prefer not to have 60psi of hot oil running into the cabin

Comment

Mechanical gauges tend to be more accurate, and back in the day they used to offer a 270 degree sweep where the electrics were limited to 90 degrees.

Times have changed a bit, and the accuracy difference and limitations of electrical vs. mechanical have diminished. Mechanical is still slightly more accurate and reliable but for most people, the difference comes in installation difficulty where electrical is usually the easiest option for most people.

Also, someone asked about mechanical gauge failure. The amount of oil to enter the car will be relatively small due to the very small diameter of the tubing. Regardless, many racing classes forbid any kind of flammable liquid running into the cab. The solution? A gauge isolator. Oil runs up to a rubber diaphragm and acts to pressurize the ethylene glycol (or some other non-flammable liquid) that runs through the firewall and up to the gauge.
              -Dave
              2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

Oh yea, another thing.... Temperature gauges. Check them for accuracy! Check out this write up: http://www.madelectrical.com/worksho...mp-gauge.shtml

Trust me, that one bit me in the ass HARD recently.
                -Dave

Comment

I'll NEVER have another mechanical gauge in my cars. I had a mechanical oil pressure gauge that started leaking in my hyundai. The smell of oil never left the car. It was just above my gear shift console too, so it naturally ran all over the carpet. I've head stories of a-pillar mounted gauges coating windshields in oil. Electric all the way.
                  Eta dude. 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    my electric one seems to work just fine I think most issues people have are from bad grounding. a mechanical gauge just sounds like another leak waiting to happen, plus the electric one is really easy to hook up.
                    Agreed.

Electrical gauges have never failed me in the past, plus no chance of leaks!
                    Chris
                    90 Corrado/91 M3/01 M5

Comment

running oil into the cabin doesn't seem like a good idea to me - electric gauge ftw
                      Brian
                      89 M3 2.5 - 91 318iS - 91 325iX - 06 X5 4.8iS - 03 525i Touring - Some 91 850s, and a few parts cars...

Comment

thanks every one for the help.

"Supersquad"

Comment

Originally posted by Draccent View Post
                          I'll NEVER have another mechanical gauge in my cars. I had a mechanical oil pressure gauge that started leaking in my hyundai. The smell of oil never left the car. It was just above my gear shift console too, so it naturally ran all over the carpet. I've head stories of a-pillar mounted gauges coating windshields in oil. Electric all the way.
                          Mechanical gauges are factory in many applications, as mentioned above, and they do just fine. Proper installation is key though, kinked lines at the back of the gauge are a common error with mechanical aftermarket gauges.

For the most responsive, accurate gauge, go mechanical. For the simplest to install, and most flexible as far as mounting options are concerned, go electric.

If oil/fuel is not allowed in the passenger compartment per class rules, and you wish to run mechanical gauges, use an isolator.
                          -Dave

Comment

This is the mechanical Oil gauge i be using thanks again

"Supersquad"

Comment

Bumping this up from the dead as I've been researching about this debate. It seems that the opinion varies from forum to forum, but the consensus seems to point towards mechanical gauges.

Obviously the leak seems to be the issue, but Vortex and another board (cant recall now) have suggested using copper tubing, which won't break and cause a leak.

I am inclined to go with the mechanical for the simplicity and cost. I'm sure even with copper tubing I'll be spending less with the mechanical gauge as I will with an electrical one. Once you start adding senders and metric adapters, things add up quick!
                              Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
                              EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
                              FullOpp Stickers for sale!
                              NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
                              Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
                              ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

Working...
                              X