WTF?? Guibo replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTF?? Guibo replacement

I'm trying to replace my CSB and found this on the output flange of the tranny. How do I get to the back of the guibo??

As you can see the CSB is shot and the protective flange thingy spins with the drive shaft. There are no cut outs to get to the back of the guibo.
    Any suggestions?

Beaux

I don't quite remember but I think that if you undo the bolts going to tranny you can take it off and then get the guibo off that way. The protective "thingy" is the harmonic balencer or something along those lines that does nothing.

Comment

ughhh

well I got it apart. Thanks for the help. I ended up dropping the tranny down on a jack to get some more room. It's out now I just have to wait for the UPS dude.
      Thanks, Beaux

Comment

Yeah I hate that thing as well. My 318 doesn't have it and the 325 does. It's not a harmonic balancer though.
        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Dont forget to mark your drive shaft

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
          1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

remove it while its out. If you ever go with a short shifter there will be contact.

1987 PRO-3 car /1990 325is (2.7i Concours)

Comment

I didn't remember the name but it's some useless annoying name like that. Instead of dropping down your tranny you could have pushed up the engine a little bit that works as well.

Comment

can somebody explain how they do this by lowering the tranny or raising the engine? I've felt behind the vibration damper (what I believe that metal housing is called), and I didn't think it could be removed like that.

Do I have to drop the driveshaft at all to remove it if I lower the tranny or raise the engine?

do I raise the engine by just sticking a jack under it and raising it up a little bit?

Comment

can anybody comment? I want to do this tomorrow and I'll only have internet for the next 15-20 minutes or so

Comment

Click on my 91is how to link in my sig and in the thread it explains how to replace your guiebo picture by picture.

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
                    1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

thanks for the link. I looked at the guide, but I couldn't find a way to remove the guibo if a vibration damper is installed. There's no way to reach behind the guibo.

I've decided it's impossible to do unless the driveshaft is unbolted from the differential. I'll do that next time

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                        Yeah I hate that thing as well. My 318 doesn't have it and the 325 does. It's not a harmonic balancer though.
                        That's weird, my 325 doesn't buy my 318 does..
                        1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by HardTech View Post
                          I've decided it's impossible to do unless the driveshaft is unbolted from the differential. I'll do that next time
                          How is this going to work?

The rear of the driveshaft is bolted via studs, even if you could move the driveshaft off the studs, it can't go anywhere because its encased by the subframe.

To remove with dampener
                          Drop the exhaust off the rear hangers and remove the tunnel cover. Unscrew the clamp ring just behind the CSB, loosen the CSB bolts and pry the front section back as far as it will go. Now remove the CSB bolts and drop the driveshaft down in the center. With a little bit of a fight it will come off 3 studs. You need to turn the driveshaft abit to get the flex disk to clear the studs. Bentely manual says 60*, but I never understood that.

Now to prevent the problem in the future, remove the rear tail flange as described in Kenikas guide. (Nice work by the way) Now with the flange removed, knock out the 3 studs and remove dampener. Throw dampener and studs into nearest trash can. Replace the bolts with 10x1.5x50 and new metal lock pinch nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by SamE30e View Post
                            That's weird, my 325 doesn't buy my 318 does..
                            The 325 used a 12mm bolt flange for like half a year. From 5/86-early 87 the 325e used a large flexdisk, '454' being the last 3 numbers of the part number. The larger disk did not use the 'dampener', only the smaller 10mm bolt flange.

In addition, any driveshaft job that goes through my shop has the dampener removed and discarded, as is standard procedure in some other shops and DIY owners. If you have one, remove it, and if you don't be happy about it.

Comment

How come you replaced the guibo? I'm curious if mine needs replacing. I know somethings isn't right but I need to diagnose what it is.

Well, posterity, you will never know what it cost us to preserve your freedom. I only hope that you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.
                              ~ John Adams ~

Comment

Working...
                              X