Is this E21 a good deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this E21 a good deal?

I'm going to look at this tomorrow with a pocket full of cash. Seller is an older guy (even than me) who got the car as swag in a school bus deal. He has no use for the BMW so is dumping it. No service records. Clean title.

Any advice?
    "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

I say go for it! looks good

Comment

The only thing I know about E21s is that they're fucking bad ass looking and they're hard to find in good shape, especially out here. I'd have bought that if it was closer, looks like a clean car!

Mileage? Records? More pictures!

Comment

Originally posted by Kilomph View Post
        The only thing I know about E21s is that they're fucking bad ass looking and they're hard to find in good shape, especially out here. I'd have bought that if it was closer, looks like a clean car!

Mileage? Records? More pictures!
        155K, no records.

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Comment

if it needs a steering wheel, i have a nice sport 3 spoke i will sell cheap!
          seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

do it
            sigpic
            New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
            %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

that looks great. interesting color
              AW 89' 325i Vert - SOLD

Comment

Looks like a decent car, but that's not a very good deal. You can find a 320is for the same price or close to it and have real Recaros, LSD, swaybars, etc. I'd keep looking or get him down around $1k.

1987 E30 cabrio | Bumper swap | H&R Sport | Koni Yellow | Eibach Sways | BavAuto strut bar | Cardinal seats
                MTech2 wheel | Husco Armrest | Smoked Hella Smileys | 5k HID | Stromung | RS003
                | Shadowline | Amber Fogs | Too much else to list

Comment

Thanks to all for the advice.

So I show up and it's this old guy with a really nice house and a new Benz. He tells me "This is in perfect condition - a show car." Keep in mind that the car fell in his lap and he knows nothing about them. He felt that the un-used ORIGINAL PIRELLI spare tire (on a badly corroded 'weave) was testament to the car's mint-ness.

What I saw was a car with
                  GOOD: Nice paint & not much obvious rust (one hole under the spare tire rusted through). AC blew cold. New Michelins on OEM 13-inch weaves.
                  BAD: Block heater - not a good sign for a rust-free-desert-car-liking guy like myself. Appeared to be never maintained at all. Everything grimy & greasy, no evidence of any new parts anywhere. Driver's seat busted. Oil coming out of everywhere that has it. Test drive - clutch is shot. Slower than death (but that may be normal for a 320i). Lots of funny noises.

I wished the guy well & went on my way.

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Comment

Originally posted by funcrew View Post
                    Thanks to all for the advice.

So I show up and it's this old guy with a really nice house and a new Benz. He tells me "This is in perfect condition - a show car." Keep in mind that the car fell in his lap and he knows nothing about them. He felt that the un-used ORIGINAL PIRELLI spare tire (on a badly corroded 'weave) was testament to the car's mint-ness.

What I saw was a car with
                    GOOD: Nice paint & not much obvious rust (one hole under the spare tire rusted through). AC blew cold. New Michelins on OEM 13-inch weaves.
                    BAD: Block heater - not a good sign for a rust-free-desert-car-liking guy like myself. Appeared to be never maintained at all. Everything grimy & greasy, no evidence of any new parts anywhere. Driver's seat busted. Oil coming out of everywhere that has it. Test drive - clutch is shot. Slower than death (but that may be normal for a 320i). Lots of funny noises.

I wished the guy well & went on my way.
                    Sounds like the average private owner's E21. They're tough to find in good condition.

FWIW, the stock E21 isn't that slow, so it was probably having major issues. One in good condition isn't going to give you whiplash or anything, but get the revs up and they're pretty fun to drive.

1987 E30 cabrio | Bumper swap | H&R Sport | Koni Yellow | Eibach Sways | BavAuto strut bar | Cardinal seats
                    MTech2 wheel | Husco Armrest | Smoked Hella Smileys | 5k HID | Stromung | RS003
                    | Shadowline | Amber Fogs | Too much else to list

Comment

do ettttttttttttttttt
                      IT IS BETTER TO DIE ON YOUR FEET THAN LIVE ON YOUR KNEES - emiliano zapata!

Comment

Originally posted by VacMan View Post
                        Sounds like the average private owner's E21. They're tough to find in good condition.

FWIW, the stock E21 isn't that slow, so it was probably having major issues. One in good condition isn't going to give you whiplash or anything, but get the revs up and they're pretty fun to drive.

As a longtime 320is owner, I'm gonna have to disagree. The 4 cylinder E21 are pathetically slow. I remember having a hard time beating a friend in an old Tercel. With the (low) prices of E30s, I see no reason to waste time on an E21. And I can't think of one thing an E21 does better than an E30.
                        1995 Porsche 993 6 speed
                        2001 BMW M3 6 speed - DD
                        2001 BMW 530iA Sport - Hers
                        2005 KTM 450EXC 6 speed

Gone:

1988 BMW M3 2.5 EVOIII Clone
                        1988 BMW 325is x2
                        1985 BMW M635CSI 286hp
                        2001 KTM 400MXC

Comment

They rust faster. :)

Comment

Originally posted by jmarch View Post
                            And I can't think of one thing an E21 does better than an E30.
                            It sacrifices parts a lot better for an '02. I've always thought the e21s looked better than e30s, but that's about it.

-Charlie
                            Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
                            '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
                            FYYFF

Comment

2 much $

Comment

Working...
                              X