Help tonight if possible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help tonight if possible

My car keeps blowing the tach/temp gauge fuse. Like- the second I put it in it blows. I checked all of my wiring from where I spliced the harnesses together (m30 swap) to the c104 in the glovebox, but I found no shorts. I suck at electrical, so I don't know where to check next. Any help?

The reason I need this tonight is I need to drive to school tomorrow, and I have been having cooling system problems lately.
    Byron
    Leichtbau

check the reverse wires that go down to the gearbox.. mine had stripped and grounded themselves causing that same fault

good luck
    Julien
    Build Threads:
    Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Those are the ones that start under the shifter console and go through the shifter hole, right?
      Byron
      Leichtbau

Comment

yes. take out your shift boot and lift up the foam piece and you should be able to see a wire.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
        DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

The reverse wires on the top side of the car look fine afaict, I cant check underneath because it is snowing. Is there anything else it could possibly be that I can check from above in the meantime?
          Byron
          Leichtbau

Comment

Is 10 or 21 blowing?
            -OVULATOR (as named by jflip2002)

Past Cars: Schwarz 1990 325i-2 (crashed), Calypsorot 1991 325i-2 Sport (rear ended)
            Now: Blake-stitched mediocrity :(

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
              The reverse wires on the top side of the car look fine afaict, I cant check underneath because it is snowing. Is there anything else it could possibly be that I can check from above in the meantime?
              Mine looked fine too, but then I pulled on the wire and I found out that it was cut in half.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
              DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Optimator View Post
                Is 10 or 21 blowing?
                Originally posted by av91oii View Post
                Mine looked fine too, but then I pulled on the wire and I found out that it was cut in half.
                I tried pulling pretty hard and neither of them pulled up. There is a little nick in the casing of the brownish one, but it wasn't/isn't touching anything. I wrapped some electrical tape on it just to be sure anyways.
                Byron
                Leichtbau

Comment

Anything else it could be?
                  Byron
                  Leichtbau

Comment

It could be a short in the wires down at the tranny.
                    -Will

1987 325is, 1989 325i, 1997 318i
                    Parts for Sale

Comment

I got that.

I meant anything I could check from above.
                      Byron
                      Leichtbau

Comment

I checked the reverse wires the best I could this morning without removing the driveshaft or exhaust. I dropped the back support and looked them over, but I didn't see any signs of arcing or shorts.

The first 2 times the fuse started blowing, I had been higher up in the rpm range. I thought it may have something to do with the 4 cyl tach I have getting overloaded, so I pulled the tach out and tried to run it, but that made the car run like shit. I guess the tach completes some circuit?
                        Byron
                        Leichtbau

Comment

Any more help, guys?
                          Byron
                          Leichtbau

Comment

So I fixed the stumble (no gas to the pump while I had one side in the air )

I have no fuse in right now, so explain this: When I start the car, the tach comes to life for 3 seconds then dies. I checked the amps through where the fuse plugs in, but got nothing. There is 13.xx volts there though.

Think it could be getting power through the short for the 3 seconds before it dies?
                            Byron
                            Leichtbau

Comment

Working...
                            X